TinaVisa

Confusion, Please help!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What visa are you chasing? What visa did you use to enter the US? On what basis are you adjusting from?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

If you are doing F2A, are you currently mantaning your h1b status? Since you are workng, I am assuming you are.

Now it all comes to your priority date. What is your priority date? If your PD is current, yes you can file for I-485. If your PD is months or years away, you need to wait and at that time in future, to adjust status, you still need to be in a valid status in the US. If you become out of status before your PD is current, then you need to go for consular processing through NVC.

Is your I-130 already approved? Have you indicated on the I-130 if the beneficiary will adjust status or go for consular processing? Whatever you have indicated, they will do it accordingly. If you have chosen consular processing, then the petition will be shipped to NVC a few days after approval. If you have chosen AOS, the service center which adjudicated your case will hold the approved petition till an I-485 is filed.

Filed: Timeline

If you are doing F2A, are you currently mantaning your h1b status? Since you are workng, I am assuming you are.

Now it all comes to your priority date. What is your priority date? If your PD is current, yes you can file for I-485. If your PD is months or years away, you need to wait and at that time in future, to adjust status, you still need to be in a valid status in the US. If you become out of status before your PD is current, then you need to go for consular processing through NVC.

Is your I-130 already approved? Have you indicated on the I-130 if the beneficiary will adjust status or go for consular processing? Whatever you have indicated, they will do it accordingly. If you have chosen consular processing, then the petition will be shipped to NVC a few days after approval. If you have chosen AOS, the service center which adjudicated your case will hold the approved petition till an I-485 is filed.

Thank you!

My PD is 04/2014. I-130 was approved 05/2014. I have indicated on I-130 that I am in the US and would like to go to the field office to have interview and file adjustment of Status. I hold an H1B visa and work in the US. However, they still transferred my case to NVC. I have recently received welcome letter from NVC asked to pay AOS and IV fee. This is really strange to me. I called NVC, they say if my PD is current, my interview will be scheduled in my home country.

This is really odd to me. Please advice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.