Saffer

MA driving license

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I've been to the MA RMV website and I just cannot find the info I am looking for.

I know I need to take the written test and driving license test again, even though I have been driving in South African since 1998.

What I don't know is whether I can drive on my existing foreign license for any period of time before taking these tests.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

In our state (Tennessee) my husband wasn't allowed to drive legally until he took the driving test at the DMV here. He paid the fee, took the written and then the driving test, and received a temp paper license, followed a week later in the mail by a laminated license good for 2 years and marked "expires" on that date.

The more permanent driving license is issued when the 10-year green card is approved. But...this is in TN; perhaps the system is similar in MA.

Check this link: http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign-Visitors-Driving.shtml

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

At least here in VA unless you carry a DL from Germany, France, Canada, Republic of Korea or any other US State you're not supposed to drive. For temporary non-residents you can use your international DL for up to 6 months (Not applicable to me since I intend to become a permanent resident). I got my DL with a short expiration date since they followed my I-94 and told me that once I have my I-797 from the AOS (I just sent the paperwork 1 week ago) I can extend my DL. You should check at your local DMV page!! Good luck!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

In Mass., you could can only drive on your foreign license as a visitor. As a resident, you MUST get a Mass. license to drive. There is no grace period that allows you to drive on your foreign license as a Mass. resident.

I'm actually very frustrated now. The whole point of getting the CR-1 visa and not the K-1 was so that I could start working immediately. Now I cannot even drive to work until I get a license. Pffft! Don't bother doing the CR-1 if you are moving in MA in other words.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.