Jump to content

MA driving license

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone

I've been to the MA RMV website and I just cannot find the info I am looking for.

I know I need to take the written test and driving license test again, even though I have been driving in South African since 1998.

What I don't know is whether I can drive on my existing foreign license for any period of time before taking these tests.

Does anyone have any experience with this?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In our state (Tennessee) my husband wasn't allowed to drive legally until he took the driving test at the DMV here. He paid the fee, took the written and then the driving test, and received a temp paper license, followed a week later in the mail by a laminated license good for 2 years and marked "expires" on that date.

The more permanent driving license is issued when the 10-year green card is approved. But...this is in TN; perhaps the system is similar in MA.

Check this link: http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign-Visitors-Driving.shtml

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least here in VA unless you carry a DL from Germany, France, Canada, Republic of Korea or any other US State you're not supposed to drive. For temporary non-residents you can use your international DL for up to 6 months (Not applicable to me since I intend to become a permanent resident). I got my DL with a short expiration date since they followed my I-94 and told me that once I have my I-797 from the AOS (I just sent the paperwork 1 week ago) I can extend my DL. You should check at your local DMV page!! Good luck!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually very frustrated now. The whole point of getting the CR-1 visa and not the K-1 was so that I could start working immediately. Now I cannot even drive to work until I get a license. Pffft! Don't bother doing the CR-1 if you are moving in MA in other words.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.