ElectricBlue30

Tax Due: American in Australia - Suggestions on someone to hire for filing?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a person I can affordably hire to help me file my U.S. taxes?

I've been living in Australia for about 5 years now.

I've had an income here in Australia sine 2012.

However, the taxes I filed in the U.S. only accounted for any money that came in from the U.S. (royalties I had coming).

I realize now I need to send in an updated tax form for the money I made here in Australia, in 2012 and 2013 (which I have ALREADY paid tax on in Australia). I also need to do something for 2014 to state that I need the extra time to file, since the tax years are different.

Can any one advise someone I can speak to about this or hire to get it taken care of?

Thank you,

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/australia/5/Tax/TaxConsultants.pdf

A list of accountants in Australia that do US tax from the US consulate website.

We had 4 years of back taxes to file. It's extremely complicated but the US and AUS have a tax agreement so you will receive credit for taxes paid here on AUS income but you must also declare AUS income on your US tax returns.

It's not cheap. We paid $1500 per return to sort our mess out.
Hope this helps!

I used H & R block expat services, Roland Sobates.

I filed my own returns for about 3 years, and then didn't file for awhile. I then had H & R block file about 3-4 years, and also file the Fbar forms for my bank accounts and superannuation accounts (or a trust form or something). I paid around $1200, so the $1500 seems reasonable.

This year I just used the same forms as they did and filed myself for free.

Good luck.

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You can not solicit business on VisaJourney. It's a TOS violation.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms

No Solicitation. You shall not distribute on or through the Service or to any persons or entities identified via VisaJourney any Content or material containing solicitations or advertising of any kind without the express prior written permission of VisaJourney. Lawyers, law firms, immigration related businesses or their proxies are prohibited from soliciting employment from prospective clients through the Forums or any of its interactive features. In the discussion forums you may discuss or recommend third-party Web sites, goods or services, so long as you have no financial interest in and receive no direct or indirect benefit from such Web sites, products or services, or the recommendation of such.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You can not solicit business on VisaJourney. It's a TOS violation.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms

No Solicitation. You shall not distribute on or through the Service or to any persons or entities identified via VisaJourney any Content or material containing solicitations or advertising of any kind without the express prior written permission of VisaJourney. Lawyers, law firms, immigration related businesses or their proxies are prohibited from soliciting employment from prospective clients through the Forums or any of its interactive features. In the discussion forums you may discuss or recommend third-party Web sites, goods or services, so long as you have no financial interest in and receive no direct or indirect benefit from such Web sites, products or services, or the recommendation of such.

Three posts relating to the above have been removed. The last quoted sentence applies here.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

@TBoneTX, @Aaron2020 - Wow guys... that really sucks. Here I am looking for help, using this Forum as a resource which is about helping one another... and because the people who can actually help me have a service, their comments get removed because they are trying to help me by linking to their information based on my request.

It's situations like this which clearly show there is a need for an update to the TOS. Following the TOS blindly with no regard to the ways it could hurt the members and completely diminish their experiences here is is like following an outdated law in a time where it no longer applies, and it needs to be readdressed and updated.

I

To the VJ members who attempted to help me my sharing information about their services, which is exactly what I'm looking for, please PM me about how you can help.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Dude,

I've gotten nothing to do with this. I have no say over the policy. I was merely pointing out that advertising the poster's service was a TOS violation so he would know. I am not the police. Far from it if you read my posts. I was merely letting him know what he did violated the TOS.

This is not my ball. Merely letting him know that the owners of the ball does not let people advertise their own services.

If you don't like the owners' rules, then don't play with their ball or ask them to allow you to play with it. I have nothing to do with it.

F the messenger.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.