Steve Maughan

Bringing Parents to US (One with Alzheimer's)...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I need some advice about bringing my Mum and / or Dad to the US. As background I am a UK and US Citizen (got it in 2013). My parents are UK citizens. My Dad is 76 and has moderate alzheimer's but is otherwise in good health. My Mum is 78 and has a blood platelet disorder which doesn't seem to require much treatment - otherwise she is in good health. They own their home in the UK which is worth about $450k and also have saving of $50k. They have a pension which is worth about $25k per year. We're not sure if my Dad is up to moving. It may be the case that we plan on bringing my Mum over once my Dad passes.

1. The main concern is health insurance. Before Obamacare I assume it would have been impossible to get decent health insurance for them. What is the situation now? It is my understanding that the pre-existing conditions cannot be held against them. Has anyone any idea of what it would cost to get health insurance for them? I'm not looking for an accurate quote just a ballpark. Would it be $500 per month, $1000 per month, $2000 per month or $10,000 per month?

2. The next concern is running out of money. I realize they would not be eligible for Medicare but as their funds deplete would they be eligible for Medicaid?

3. Would they be able to receive their pensions in the US? I assume there would be no problems with their private pensions. Are they able to get their state pensions if they move to the US?

4. What happens if I petition for them to come over and my Dad is too sick to come? Is there a window of time where they must take up residency or they loose it?

5. My Dad is probably too advanced in his alzeimer's to "pass" and interview. He cannot remember his wedding day. At times he struggles to remember my name, although still recognizes me as his son when he sees me.

Any help greatly appreciated!

- Steve

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1. The main concern is health insurance. Before Obamacare I assume it would have been impossible to get decent health insurance for them. What is the situation now? It is my understanding that the pre-existing conditions cannot be held against them. Has anyone any idea of what it would cost to get health insurance for them? I'm not looking for an accurate quote just a ballpark. Would it be $500 per month, $1000 per month, $2000 per month or $10,000 per month?
Between $600 and $1400 or so, basic to low deductible etc. Decent well that depends on if the healthcare providers you want to us take it, many do not.

2. The next concern is running out of money. I realize they would not be eligible for Medicare but as their funds deplete would they be eligible for Medicaid?

That varies big time depending where you are. Some States no, others after 5 years,a few from day one.

3. Would they be able to receive their pensions in the US? I assume there would be no problems with their private pensions. Are they able to get their state pensions if they move to the US?
Yes
4. What happens if I petition for them to come over and my Dad is too sick to come? Is there a window of time where they must take up residency or they loose it?

6 months from interview

5. My Dad is probably too advanced in his alzeimer's to "pass" and interview. He cannot remember his wedding day. At times he struggles to remember my name, although still recognizes me as his son when he sees me.

Do not remember seeing somebody quite like this but it is not contagious so it should only the public charge issue which you have covered.

When my Parents got to a certain point they went from being basically OK to needing a lot of care, so the bigger issue would be where local to you can they get it. Medicare reimbursement rates are higher and that is what providers are used to seeing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just want to say with Alzheimer's, new things are most difficult. His familiar surroundings in his long term memory will get him by longer than abruptly changing to a new life.

Yes they can continue pension in US.

Medicaid -- USCIS page says

OK--> "Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care."

NOT OK--> "Programs (including Medicaid) supporting individuals who are institutionalized for long-term care (e.g., in a nursing home or mental health institution). (Note: costs of incarceration for prison are not considered for public charge determinations)."

LONDON website says "The visa validity is linked to the validty of the medical report. If your visa has been issued and you will not use the visa before the expiry date, you would be required to return your passport and visa package to the Embassy for cancellation. If you wish to, you may request that the visa is re-issued. If the Consular officer determines that your visa will be re-issued, you would be required to attend a new medical, obtain a new UK police certificate (if the previous certificate was issued more than 12 months ago) and pay a new visa issuance fee. "

Insurance-- that requires so many details...state, income, birthdates. You might try to register at healthcare.gov and see what you can find out pretending they are here now and applying. Use an offbeat email address you might have because they will annoy you after trying to get you to buy insurance.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

Late stage cancer Parkinson and a few others including fully blown alzheimers

will likely be no-where near easy to be approved I read someplace...however since

its is at the beginning & break-thru on this illness very often You may be required

to purchase very good medical insurance for approvals, the plus is they have

pensions....check if it would be direct deposited to them mthly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.