MexiCheyenne

I-864 and I-864a questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My parents will be co-sponsors to satisfy the income requirements. They both receive social security and with their combined benefits will meet the required %125 of poverty level. They have to do combined to meet the requirement. Which form will they need to fill? Do they use the I-864a or the I-864? Will they each be filing the form because the income is combined? Finally do I as the petitioner have to file the I-864 to send along with my parents? Any help is appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yes petitioner always has to fill out a i864, are they in the same houselhold as you the answer to this question will determine what form they use . But more then likely if there will be a different address one will do the i864 and the other the I864a which one does which is up to you .

Timeline

Yes they have a different address. Then we will send two I-864's(one for me the petitioner and one for 1 of my parents) and one I-864a for the other parent? 3 in total.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Then yeah that's how it'll go you will be the main sponsor because you are the petitioner say you wanna do dad as the joint sponsor so he'll do the i864 and mom will do a i864a to include her income because she is the household member associated with one of the sponsors (your dad) when it asks for the total income on their forms for each year you will use the combined income for both, but for the current annual income line you will see take the average that it shows on their w2s for their separate income . The w2s should be included because I'm assuming they file jointly, and this will show what they make separate .

I had to do the exact same thing .

Timeline

Ok except they wont have any w2's because their income is social security. They will include a letter stating that fact and a letter from the department of social security stating their benefit ammount. I think that should cover it. Thanks so much!!

If they have any proof of receiving their social security they should add that. Plus proof of their US citizenship or LPR status.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.