decemberciti

general inquiry

10 posts in this topic

hi ,

I have some general question regarding US Citizenship.

I got two years of green card through marriage then i got 10 year of green card after two years of marriage, now me and my wife are not having good relationship we have fight everyday. like she is giving me very hard time her family involvement is too much , now its hard for me to tolerate. i loved her too much but now she is listen only her parents and she don't let me work properly always asking me for the money , her parents trying to hit me once also . i did everything to save our wedding but now its too hard for me to live with her. she is always asking me the money and she is not working as well .

i am thinking to file divorce so i have some questions which i want to clear :

1) is there is any possibility of my green card got canceled ?

2)during neutralization will USCIS give me hard time during my citizenship interview.

thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

No, not sure you mean neutralisation, that sounds painful.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Not for getting divorced, lots of people get divorced.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

like after 5 years if i will apply my US citizenship by myself only . will they give me hard time ? or any possibility if dinned my citizenship file

You can get divorced and it won't affect your application based on 5 years of permanent residency.

Whether you are divorced or not, since you got your green card through marriage, they may ask questions to make sure that you got your green card based on a legitimate relationship. You don't need to be married to naturalize after 5 years, but you should be able to prove that you didn't marry just for the green card (similar to what you did during removal of conditions).

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

hi ,

I have some general question regarding US Citizenship.

I got two years of green card through marriage then i got 10 year of green card after two years of marriage, now me and my wife are not having good relationship we have fight everyday. like she is giving me very hard time her family involvement is too much , now its hard for me to tolerate. i loved her too much but now she is listen only her parents and she don't let me work properly always asking me for the money , her parents trying to hit me once also . i did everything to save our wedding but now its too hard for me to live with her. she is always asking me the money and she is not working as well .

i am thinking to file divorce so i have some questions which i want to clear :

1) is there is any possibility of my green card got canceled ?

2)during neutralization will USCIS give me hard time during my citizenship interview.

thanks

Wait. What? Her parents trying to hit you? Get that documented. Or at least have names of witnesses if you ever need this later.

Feel. The. Bern.

Timeline

I took it as hit as in get money.

Wait. What? Her parents trying to hit you? Get that documented. Or at least have names of witnesses if you ever need this later.

she threaten me if i didnt not do whatever she said she will call cops and snatch her arms and tell them that i did this to her . and her parents said same as well..they said we will put you in jail for hitting out daughter.

which i got scare and i dont want myself in trouble, thats why i want to file for for divorce only two question is in my mind is :

will it be effect on my 10 year GC (which i have it right now)

Will it be effect on my Citizenship which is due on 2017(5 year period)

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

she threaten me if i didnt not do whatever she said she will call cops and snatch her arms and tell them that i did this to her . and her parents said same as well..they said we will put you in jail for hitting out daughter.

which i got scare and i dont want myself in trouble, thats why i want to file for for divorce only two question is in my mind is :

will it be effect on my 10 year GC (which i have it right now)

Will it be effect on my Citizenship which is due on 2017(5 year period)

thanks

Please see my answer and the other answers above, but in short:

Will you lose your green card?

No, you won't lose your green card because of the divorce. You can lose your green card if you commit a serious crime.
Will the divorce affect your citizenship?
No, as long as you can demonstrate (if asked) that you didn't get married just to get a green card.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.