We Keep Receipts

Employee at Subway sandwich shop fired after celebrating Miss. police officers’ deaths on Facebook

39 posts in this topic

There's a thing called a code of conduct. It might be in her contract she signed when she started working there. that's why I never say anything in cyberspace I wouldn't say IRL. You never know who's looking.

Being a racist is never cool. The bigger issue is with comments like that, they bleed over into the person's job. How can I work with you if I know you hate me for the color of my skin?

I get your point, I guess the libertarian in me bleeds over.

I am sure people work with people who hate them all the time. Someone may not like your for a variety of reasons, but until they do something wrong, it is not grounds for firing.

and Yes I get that, however I always judged my employees solely on what happens on the job.

That is good but the majority of companies make their profits from the general public. If somehow word got around that subway was keeping a person hire for making that comment. (This is just my thought) but I imagine business will slow down there quick . I do not run a business but if I did and It there was a chance that I could lose profits because of a long term employee who had been vey good made a stupid remark the public could see , I am sorry that person will be suspended or let go until I knew what was going on. If subway made a mistake or fast judgment then the employee deserves more then an apology.

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

That is good but the majority of companies make their profits from the general public. If somehow word got around that subway was keeping a person hire for making that comment. (This is just my thought) but I imagine business will slow down there quick . I do not run a business but if I did and It there was a chance that I could lose profits because of a long term employee who had been vey good made a stupid remark the public could see , I am sorry that person will be suspended or let go until I knew what was going on. If subway made a mistake or fast judgment then the employee deserves more then an apology.

So if it were an Islamic employee and they made statement that angered a lot of people in some redneck burg, it would be cool to fire them Or a pro Gay rights activists in a small very religious fundamental town

Sorry, we have a 1st amend for a reason

So if it were an Islamic employee and they made statement that angered a lot of people in some redneck burg, it would be cool to fire them Or a pro Gay rights activists in a small very religious fundamental town

He'd be lucky if getting fired is all that happened to him...

Funny thing about the 1st, if you out here disrespecting America, the same folks saying that more offensive the speech, the more it needs to be protected, are nowhere to be seen...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Actually I do not think Freedom of speech will be justify in those cases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

but either way what is legal or not. Most business can not survive if they start losing customers because of an employee. If you have a multi million dollar business or a business that can survive good for you

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think that until a person does something on the job that warrants discipline that, uttering a racist comment on FB is not call for termination. On the flip side, I don't see this woman getting fired for making her stupid comment.

Up to the business owner.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I will say the same thing I say when people get fired for making a racial comment on FB. what the hades does this have to do with her on the job performance

You could say the same thing about someone with convictions for domestic abuse. What does it have to do with their job performance?

People post things in Facebook that they shouldn't, especially when they connect their profile with their job and their employer. Not difficult for an employer to find these things if the person doesn't use the privacy settings or if someone sees it and complains directly to their employer.

Timeline

Actually I do not think Freedom of speech will be justify in those cases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

but either way what is legal or not. Most business can not survive if they start losing customers because of an employee. If you have a multi million dollar business or a business that can survive good for you

It doesn't justify it. People have been fired, even prosecuted for making inappropriate comments on social media, it's nothing new.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Proof again that while we have freedom of speech, that speech is not free from consequence.

Stupid comparison

You really have little clue on the First amendment

Suggest you read up on it a little......

I get your point, I guess the libertarian in me bleeds over.

I am sure people work with people who hate them all the time. Someone may not like your for a variety of reasons, but until they do something wrong, it is not grounds for firing.

I think the libertarian perspective would side with the shop owner.

Libertarians are very strong believers in the right of business owners to hire, fire,serve, and refuse service to whoever they want. That is all this owner did. He simply made the decision that he no longer wanted to employ this particular person.

Proof again that while we have freedom of speech, that speech is not free from consequence.

Stupid comparison

Instead of tossing insults and making blind statements, perhaps you could provide some evidence to back up your claims?

There really was no comparison made by Killary, but what was stupid about what she said? It appears to be a correct statement that while we have freedom of speech in this country, we do not necessarily have freedom from consequence of that speech in all cases. Is that not so?

What part of the first amendment contradicts what she said?

Filed: Timeline

Instead of tossing insults and making blind statements, perhaps you could provide some evidence to back up your claims?

There really was no comparison made by Killary, but what was stupid about what she said? It appears to be a correct statement that while we have freedom of speech in this country, we do not necessarily have freedom from consequence of that speech in all cases. Is that not so?

What part of the first amendment contradicts what she said?

You're not actually expecting an answer, are you?

Timeline

Stupid comparison

It was a statement, not a comparison.

I think the libertarian perspective would side with the shop owner.

Libertarians are very strong believers in the right of business owners to hire, fire,serve, and refuse service to whoever they want. That is all this owner did. He simply made the decision that he no longer wanted to employ this particular person.

In theory that's true. However, often libertarian is a fashion label for people who are conservative but who want to seem above the party political system. Whether or not they actually are is another matter.