rp835

I 864, in case of joint sponsor

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife is citizen of United states and petitioning for my permanent residence by filling i-130 out. At the same time I am filling i-485. One of tthe requirement is filing i-864 which is affidavit of support. In my case my wife does not earn enough to sponsor me so we have her dad as joint sponsor. I am little confused regarding which forms to fill out since, I read on USCIS website that if theres joint sposnor then joint sponsor also have to submit I-864A.

1) Petitioner and joint sponsor fills separte i-864 and joint sponsor fills additional I-864A? OR

2)Petitioner fills I-864 and joint sponsor fills I-864A? OR

3) Petitioner and joint sponsor fills separtae I-864 with no need of I-864A?

Please help me, what should I do in my case? Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Petitioner fills I864

Joint sponsor fills separate I864

If joint sponsor files taxes jointly with somebody(for example his wife) then joint sponsor's wife needs to fill I864A.

If joint sponsor files taxes on his own then no I864A is needed.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife works part time and she files taxes jointly with her dad. So, I think, My wife files her own I-864 and her dad files only I-864A since they file taxes together?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

do they live at the same house? the i864A is only for household members

if her dad lives at a different address, then he will file an i864 as the joint sponsor , your wife will file the i864 as the sponsor

if they live together, he can file the i864A combining their income

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.