MEDSHE20

Bringing family here

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

My husband is here and has a 10 year green card and eligible for Naturalization this year. We want to bring his family over from Algeria, it's his mom and dad. We want to bring them over on a tourist visa. How long do those usually take after applying for them to come thru. How long do they usually last for?

White slip (not a bona fide relationship)K1

Return to Washington 12-24-07

Married 2/23/2008 In Hong Kong

Filed K3 4/28/2009 (my husband had some issues with his Chinese visa)

CSC received May 1, 09

NOA1 May 6, 2009 (received in mail on 5-8)

Sent I29 May 9th, Received May 11th

NOA1 for I129 May 18th, 09

Received in mail on May 26th

I-130 Touch 8/14/2009, approved 9/1/09, 1129 touched 9-1,2,3, approved the 1st.

NOA2 for I-129 not received

Hong Kong Embassy received it on Sept 14th, 09

Packet 3 mailed out on Sept 22,09

I130 at NVC now

Received email Sep 23 about electronic processing for CR1

Packet 3 mailed on Sep 22, received on October 5th

Mailed packet 3 back 10-9 to Hong Kong, awaiting packet 4

Packet 4 mailed 10-15, Interview set for Nov 10th

In AP a little over a month

Got approval notice Dec 17th

Dropped passport off on 12-21

Received visa 12/24.

Flew to St Louis 12/29, now home.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You want them to immigrate or visit?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

If they are coming to visit only they need to apply for a tourist visa on their own merits; fill out the forms, attend the interview and see what happens. The basic requirements are that they have sufficient means [on their own - without counting on you or your husband] to pay for their trip entirely, and enough proof to satisfy the interviewer they will return home after their visit. If that is their fist visit to the US they may be issued a one-entry only 3 month visitor's visa or a 10-year multiple entry visa, to be decided by the consulate in Algiers. There is nothing you or your husband can do to improve their chances of getting a tourist visa.

If they want to come and stay as residents in the US, the process is completely different. Once your husband becomes a US citizen he can apply for both parents - see the 'guides' section here on VJ and they will be issued an immigrant visa at the end of the process.

Good luck!

My husband is here and has a 10 year green card and eligible for Naturalization this year. We want to bring his family over from Algeria, it's his mom and dad. We want to bring them over on a tourist visa. How long do those usually take after applying for them to come thru. How long do they usually last for?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

The basic requirements are that they have sufficient means [on their own - without counting on you or your husband] to pay for their trip entirely,

Why? Why is that? What if they don't have enough, and his son does and wants to pay for their trip, as a gift?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is not a requirement but is a good idea.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Why? Why is that? What if they don't have enough, and his son does and wants to pay for their trip, as a gift?

Their son has to provide original bank statements to prove it.

The major important thing is to prove that they have a good reason to go back to their country.

Once my parents applied for visitor visa, without satisfying the officers that they will leave the country. They applied again. This time I specifically told them to show them proof that they will have to go back to Pakistan to attend my sister's wedding.

Tourist visas to any country is very tricky one. Since all the information they have is, what the candidate is telling them in the interview. The same principal is applied to tourist visas to pretty much any country.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

It's how tourist visa applicants are considered when submitting their applications. The IO operates under the assumption that every tourist is a potential immigrant. It's not fair to many but that's how their procedures are set forth.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It's how tourist visa applicants are considered when submitting their applications. The IO operates under the assumption that every tourist is a potential immigrant. It's not fair to many but that's how their procedures are set forth.

Being able to pay for your trip has nothing to do with wanting to stay. Like someone said, bank statement should be enough proof.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.