biaobiao

ORD experience

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I arrived on January 8th and had ORD as my point of entry.

It was super easy and smooth, it only took about 3 minutes and I didn't even have to go to secondary. It was no different than arriving as a tourist. So no worries, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

K1 Visa:

I-129F sent: 05/12/2014

NOA1: 05/16/2014

Transfer from TSC to CSC: 08/08/2014

NOA2: 09/08/2014

Case# assigned: 09/22/2014

Consulate received: 09/30/2014

Packet 3 received: 10/04/2014

Packet 3 sent: 10/31/2014

Packet 4 received: 11/4/2014

Interview date: 11/19/2014 - Approved!

Visa received: 11/21/2014

POE Chicago: 01/08/2015

Wedding: 03/14/2015 (L)

AOS:

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 03/27/2015

NOA1: 04/02/2015

Biometrics: 04/30/2015

EAD/AP approved: 06/17/2015

EAD/AP card received: 06/24/2015

Interview waiver letter received: 07/24/2015

NOA2: 09/04/15

Greencard received: 09/13/2015

thank you. i do hope everything will be okay

It's nice that you "hope" that everything will be okay but in reality it's you who is ultimately in control of your trip. Take control now and make plans and be sure to try and anticipate what could go wrong that you can control. Here are some things to consider. Since I don't know the age of your toddler some stuff will apply and others may not.

So, the first place to check is what others have experienced with traveling through Chicago as their POE. http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?poe=Chicago

When you call to book the tickets let them know you have an infant and need a bassinet. They usually reserve bulkhead in the center row of seats for passengers flying with children under 2 years of age. You see, there are four little grommet-like snaps on the center bulkhead wall that allow for two collapsible basinets to be snapped into the wall giving parents lap-relief for the majority of the flight.

More information on this topic here: http://wherenextwithmeg.com/2010/10/21/traveling-with-a-tiny-the-family-row/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/299146-best-place-to-sit-on-a-plane-with-an-infant-and-a-4-yrs-old/

http://www.allfreekidscrafts.com/Travel-Activities-for-Kids/?gclid=COaZ6eSuqMUCFUk8gQod7TMAxg

http://www.lapkidz.com/

http://www.pampers.com/diapers/real-mom-baby-travel-advice?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Pampers_Search_Lifestyle.New%20Mom_BMM&utm_term=+traveling%20+with%20+a%20+toddler&utm_content=sBOv2PENe|dc_+traveling%20+with%20+a%20+toddler_b_49516404595

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Thank you for links greenbaum.

Thank you unico. I will travel light and less luggage. We will do the shopping after arrival in the US.

My daughter is 3yrs old.

Trust me I am doing a lot of hoping, preparing and Praying as well. I have waited for this for years. I just wanted to know the experience.

Some say that passing through ord, they waited for hours for immigration and customs. Others say its quick and easy... I know there are no guarrantees as to how busy the airport is.

I am bracing for worst case scenario but HOPING and PRAYING it will be easy.

Thank you for links greenbaum.

Thank you unico. I will travel light and less luggage. We will do the shopping after arrival in the US.

My daughter is 3yrs old.

Trust me I am doing a lot of hoping, preparing and Praying as well. I have waited for this for years. I just wanted to know the experience.

Some say that passing through ord, they waited for hours for immigration and customs. Others say its quick and easy... I know there are no guarrantees as to how busy the airport is.

I am bracing for worst case scenario but HOPING and PRAYING it will be easy.

ORD is a busy airport. Choose off-peak times if you want to try and avoid it. Mid-week/midday will likely be less busy than a Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

ORD is also constantly changing their customs/immigration process. Over the last year or two it has seen quite an overhaul. But the good news is that because it's a busy airport, they're familiar with processing immigrants on K-1 and CR-1/IR-1 (and all the others).

I'm not as familiar with the CR-1 process at POE. The previous poster who entered in January also entered on a K-1, so I believe your process will be slightly different.

Either way, prepare as best you can, and ORD tends to at least know what they're doing and be pretty nice to people coming through.

Good luck!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.