h2o15

Change of address only for the immigrant during AOS

5 posts in this topic

My fiancé (US Citizen) and I (F-1 right now) will be getting married in late May and filing our packet for AOS (green card based on marriage) right away (so late May/early June). We're based in Boston, and I'll be here until early September, but I have an employment offer that requires me to move to New York in early September. I'll be using my F-1 OPT to do the job, so EAD is not a problem for me.

My fiancé (or husband I guess) will be in Boston for another year until May of next year, and both of us will be commuting back and forth during the weekends to see each other.

My question is, what happens if I update my address through AR-11? Will my interviews be scheduled in Boston or New York?

I'd rather have the interviews be in Boston, since I heard that NYC has a long wait.

Also does my fiancé have to file his address change? I guess he has nothing to file since he won't be moving himself.

Or should I not file the address update at all since my fiancé will still be living in the same address that we file from originally, and I'll be going back and forth between NYC and Boston?

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

They'll schedule your interview at the USCIS field office in the jurisdiction where you (the applicant/beneficiary/immigrant) live. If you want to have your interview and receive your mail (GC comes to the beneficiary's address too) in Boston, then don't change the address. Your fianceé doesn't need to file any changes right now, since he's not moving. However, whenever he moves, he will have to file an I-865 form (sponsor's notice of change of address) within 30 days.

They'll schedule your interview at the USCIS field office in the jurisdiction where you (the applicant/beneficiary/immigrant) live. If you want to have your interview and receive your mail (GC comes to the beneficiary's address too) in Boston, then don't change the address. Your fianceé doesn't need to file any changes right now, since he's not moving. However, whenever he moves, he will have to file an I-865 form (sponsor's notice of change of address) within 30 days.

Does it matter that I'll be working in New York? Or since I'll be commuting back and forth during the weekends, is it ok to say that my permanent address is the one in Boston where my fiancé lives (and where I'll be living from May until September)?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Does it matter that I'll be working in New York? Or since I'll be commuting back and forth during the weekends, is it ok to say that my permanent address is the one in Boston where my fiancé lives (and where I'll be living from May until September)?

Uhh, I *think* it's ok. Just explain it to the IO. You work far enough away from where you live that you needed to take up a secondary residence there. It's not unheard of.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Part of defining where you live is tied to intention as well as evidence and facts. If you believe your residence is Boston, you frequently go back to Boston and your primary mailing address is Boston, you should be OK even if you're working in NY. You may have to defend that opinion in front of the IO, but I doubt they'll care too much.

Don't know about how interview is affected by this.

May 29th, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 1, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 4, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 20, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment

August 6, 2015 - I-131 approved

August 6, 2015 - Your card was ordered

August 7, 2015 - I-765 approved

August 20, 2015 - EAD received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.