Shekinah013

Vaccinations & K-1

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

We're not at that step yet but I'm confused after reading the Sticky guide on Vancouver & K-1 and want to try to clarify. I've read elsewhere, several times, that the vaccinations are NOT required for K-1 approval but that you have to have them before the AOS once married. The guide here says required and that the Canadian beneficiary should start on vaccines well before the medical exam.

Which is correct? And yes, he will be going through Vancouver.

(Background: We religiously object to vaccines so do not vaccinate. Beneficiary is not yet a member of our religion, so I suspect he will be willing to get them rather than potentially have a waiver/exemption attempt hold things up. BUT we all would prefer that he do them here in the U.S. prior to AOS, if that is an option, rather than while still in Canada.)

As far as I am concerned you're not required vaccinatation for K1 visa but you're going to need it for AOS. So I'm assuming he'd has to get them done when he is in the states before AOS but that's probably going to cost a lot of $$.

Patience Is A Virtue - [The Beneficiary]

AOS From K1:
Approved 26th of September 2016

ROC:

Approved: 16th August 2019 (July 2018 Filer)

N400

Filed online: November 25th 2019

April 27th 2021: INTERVIEW APPROVED - Officially a US citizen - the End! 

Timeline

As far as I am concerned you're not required vaccinatation for K1 visa but you're going to need it for AOS. So I'm assuming he'd has to get them done when he is in the states before AOS but that's probably going to cost a lot of $$.

I checked. Cost would be $73 for MMR & TDAP. Flu vax would add $40 if it's during flu season. So that's not a deterrent to waiting.

Just want to be certain that it's not one of those "not required, in theory" but mandatory in practice kind of things. :)

I think it's specific to Canada, but as far as I know, Canadian consulates want the vaccines done before any approval (K1 or IR/CR...). Should be close to free to get them in most provinces, so that's shouldn't a problem if he wants to get that done. Also, if he grew up in Canada, he might have gotten the right vaccines already. (As an aside, I have never seen a religious exemption waiver being accepted - might happen, just never seen it)

Edited by Boston~Montreal

He can start with his GP, see which vaccines he had done already. Then contact the clinic where he'll have his medical?

Worst comes to worst, he goes to the interview and as to submit proof of getting the vaccines before they approve him (why not get the vaccines now then - if he is ok to get them, I am not sure why he would not just get them and not risk delays).

Timeline

... (why not get the vaccines now then - if he is ok to get them, I am not sure why he would not just get them and not risk delays).

Briefly, in our religion certain things (including vaccines) require a lengthy (6-8 wk) purification ritual before one can participate in sacrament and/or high holy celebrations. Marriage is both. While he's not a member of our religion now, it's still an issue for us. If he must receive vaccines, it would be less of an issue after the marriage-- especially in light of the 90 day K-1 period for the wedding versus the necessary purification period (which must be overseen by an elder, so usually can't be done "long distance").

Cool reasons / if required for approval, sorry to say, they won't care. K1 also gives 90 days to get married, enough time to purify if he thinks it is needed.

Also, might I suggest you have the future spouse himself gets on to ask questions?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They are required in Canada will not even get your medical back until you get the vaccine. I was missing on shot for my youngest at the time, they would not release the medical till I faxed them proof he got it.

Did your fiance get any vaccines when he was younger? If so he most likely has them all depending his age may only need a Tdap and he can go to his own doctor and get it at no cost.

Plus your religion is not his atm and it doesn't stop him from getting vaccines so they will not give a waiver.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dr. Cheema wouldn't finish the exam without making I sure I had the tdap.

Dr. Cheema wouldn't finish the exam without making I sure I had the tdap.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You may want to do a search here on VJ about refusing vaccinations due to religious reasons. I recall 1 person years ago on here that tried to do that, and was taking a long time. I think they just gave in and got the vaccinations since it was taking so long...but that was awhile back..With all these Measles outbreaks, Polio making a comeback........may be changing the Govt tune on giving waivers, but thats just my 2 cents,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.