jarta

Ghana and American dual citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Very soon I will be legible to apply for my American citizenship. I know Ghana accepts dual citizenship but my question for those Ghanaian on this forum with dual citizenship is :-

1) Did they have to do anything special like tell the Ghana government or request for Ghana to accept or approve their dual citizenship?

2) And if you didn't do any thing, was it easy to renew your Ghanaian passport when it expired since you have to state if you have other nationality on the renewal form?

Thanks very much!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Very soon I will be legible to apply for my American citizenship. I know Ghana accepts dual citizenship but my question for those Ghanaian on this forum with dual citizenship is :-

1) Did they have to do anything special like tell the Ghana government or request for Ghana to accept or approve their dual citizenship?

2) And if you didn't do any thing, was it easy to renew your Ghanaian passport when it expired since you have to state if you have other nationality on the renewal form?

Thanks very much!!!

I've seen a few Ghanaians on here so hopefully one of them will answer your question, but you should also try posting on the regional sub-forum here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/89-africa-sub-saharan/

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

I don’t know but let me speak from personal experience. Dual Ghanaian-American citizenship is legal but very tricky. Unlike many countries, Ghanaian immigration has passport control when entering into Ghana and when departing from Ghana. When departing from the U.S you’ll show your U.S passport going through departure formalities because you can’t have a returned-ticket to the U.S when you don’t have a valid U.S visa in your Ghanaian passport that allows for you to return. Also, the U.S requires that U.S citizens depart from, and enter the U.S on U.S passport. However, entering into Ghana is what presents the most challenge. If you show your Ghanaian passport, they’ll put a stamp in it showing the date of arrival. Now, when departing from Ghana, they (the immigration) check the “date of arrival” and stamp you out (“departure date”). You can’t use your Ghanaian passport to go through departure formalities because the immigration people have to make sure you have a visa to the country of destination. In this case, you’ll have to use your U.S passport. The challenge is, the immigration people will want to see the date you entered Ghana shown in your U.S passport along with a visa to Ghana since you’re using a foreign passport. If you can’t show these (you practically can’t because you entered on a Ghanaian passport), you’re screwed. You have practically set yourself up to be a ‘meal-ticket’ and by that I mean you’ll really have to have a few hundred of dollars (it aint just a woo-fin) to be able to make it to your flight. The only safest bet is to ditch your Ghanaian passport and apply for Ghanaian visa when going to Ghana, and by that I mean you practically ditch your Ghanaian citizenship. The Ghanaian Embassy in Washington, DC will ask you to apply for “dual-citizenship” to have a Ghanaian certificate of citizenship, but I’ve got to tell you, getting out of Ghana with the “certificate of citizenship” along with your U.S passport presents the same challenge – a few hundred dollars is unavoidable.

Edited by bdawn

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

why is it so hard? I'm going to applying for dual citizen ship I get tired of having to apply for a visa to travel there

I dont know but let me speak from personal experience. Dual Ghanaian-American citizenship is legal but very tricky. Unlike many countries, Ghanaian immigration has passport control when entering into Ghana and when departing from Ghana. When departing from the U.S youll show your U.S passport going through departure formalities because you cant have a returned-ticket to the U.S when you dont have a valid U.S visa in your Ghanaian passport that allows for you to return. Also, the U.S requires that U.S citizens depart from, and enter the U.S on U.S passport. However, entering into Ghana is what presents the most challenge. If you show your Ghanaian passport, theyll put a stamp in it showing the date of arrival. Now, when departing from Ghana, they (the immigration) check the date of arrival and stamp you out (departure date). You cant use your Ghanaian passport to go through departure formalities because the immigration people have to make sure you have a visa to the country of destination. In this case, youll have to use your U.S passport. The challenge is, the immigration people will want to see the date you entered Ghana shown in your U.S passport along with a visa to Ghana since youre using a foreign passport. If you cant show these (you practically cant because you entered on a Ghanaian passport), youre screwed. You have practically set yourself up to be a meal-ticket and by that I mean youll really have to have a few hundred of dollars (it aint just a woo-fin) to be able to make it to your flight. The only safest bet is to ditch your Ghanaian passport and apply for Ghanaian visa when going to Ghana, and by that I mean you practically ditch your Ghanaian citizenship. The Ghanaian Embassy in Washington, DC will ask you to apply for dual-citizenship to have a Ghanaian certificate of citizenship, but Ive got to tell you, getting out of Ghana with the certificate of citizenship along with your U.S passport presents the same challenge a few hundred dollars is unavoidable.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

why is it so hard? I'm going to applying for dual citizen ship I get tired of having to apply for a visa to travel there

I dont know but let me speak from personal experience. Dual Ghanaian-American citizenship is legal but very tricky. Unlike many countries, Ghanaian immigration has passport control when entering into Ghana and when departing from Ghana. When departing from the U.S youll show your U.S passport going through departure formalities because you cant have a returned-ticket to the U.S when you dont have a valid U.S visa in your Ghanaian passport that allows for you to return. Also, the U.S requires that U.S citizens depart from, and enter the U.S on U.S passport. However, entering into Ghana is what presents the most challenge. If you show your Ghanaian passport, theyll put a stamp in it showing the date of arrival. Now, when departing from Ghana, they (the immigration) check the date of arrival and stamp you out (departure date). You cant use your Ghanaian passport to go through departure formalities because the immigration people have to make sure you have a visa to the country of destination. In this case, youll have to use your U.S passport. The challenge is, the immigration people will want to see the date you entered Ghana shown in your U.S passport along with a visa to Ghana since youre using a foreign passport. If you cant show these (you practically cant because you entered on a Ghanaian passport), youre screwed. You have practically set yourself up to be a meal-ticket and by that I mean youll really have to have a few hundred of dollars (it aint just a woo-fin) to be able to make it to your flight. The only safest bet is to ditch your Ghanaian passport and apply for Ghanaian visa when going to Ghana, and by that I mean you practically ditch your Ghanaian citizenship. The Ghanaian Embassy in Washington, DC will ask you to apply for dual-citizenship to have a Ghanaian certificate of citizenship, but Ive got to tell you, getting out of Ghana with the certificate of citizenship along with your U.S passport presents the same challenge a few hundred dollars is unavoidable.

Hello there,

bdawn is right. I have few friends and relatives who went for the dual citizenship but they never used it for international travels. They only use the US passport because of the headache that bdawn explained. Within Ghana, they use their Ghanian IDs and Ghanian passports for administrative purposes but that is about it. I would not say to ditch your Ghanian citizenship but do not use it for traveling internationally( outside of Africa) but you can use it to travel within West Africa

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I don’t know but let me speak from personal experience. Dual Ghanaian-American citizenship is legal but very tricky. Unlike many countries, Ghanaian immigration has passport control when entering into Ghana and when departing from Ghana. When departing from the U.S you’ll show your U.S passport going through departure formalities because you can’t have a returned-ticket to the U.S when you don’t have a valid U.S visa in your Ghanaian passport that allows for you to return. Also, the U.S requires that U.S citizens depart from, and enter the U.S on U.S passport. However, entering into Ghana is what presents the most challenge. If you show your Ghanaian passport, they’ll put a stamp in it showing the date of arrival. Now, when departing from Ghana, they (the immigration) check the “date of arrival” and stamp you out (“departure date”). You can’t use your Ghanaian passport to go through departure formalities because the immigration people have to make sure you have a visa to the country of destination. In this case, you’ll have to use your U.S passport. The challenge is, the immigration people will want to see the date you entered Ghana shown in your U.S passport along with a visa to Ghana since you’re using a foreign passport. If you can’t show these (you practically can’t because you entered on a Ghanaian passport), you’re screwed. You have practically set yourself up to be a ‘meal-ticket’ and by that I mean you’ll really have to have a few hundred of dollars (it aint just a woo-fin) to be able to make it to your flight. The only safest bet is to ditch your Ghanaian passport and apply for Ghanaian visa when going to Ghana, and by that I mean you practically ditch your Ghanaian citizenship. The Ghanaian Embassy in Washington, DC will ask you to apply for “dual-citizenship” to have a Ghanaian certificate of citizenship, but I’ve got to tell you, getting out of Ghana with the “certificate of citizenship” along with your U.S passport presents the same challenge – a few hundred dollars is unavoidable.

Thanks very much! Thats something to think about. I do know how difficult it is to go through immigration in Ghana. And you dont want to make it easier for them to get your money. Anyway, I found the following info.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=181471761907914&story_fbid=394095527312202 "When travelling to Ghana, dual nationals should be sure to have their Ghana passport, for entry purposes, and their other passport, for exit out of Ghana and entry into the other country. Travelers should be ready to provide both passports."

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=240873&comment=10786115#com

I plan on calling the immigration in Ghana. I really dont want to give up my Ghanaian passport nor apply for a visa. I hate applying for visas! :no:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.