LibCampFireClub

Hillary Clinton

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
In an exclusive preview of her paperback epilogue in the Huffington Post, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton revealed what it was like she left President Obama at the White House.

A few months later we said our good-byes. I had lunch with President Obama in his private dining room off the Oval Office. Over fish tacos we discussed a twenty-page memo I had prepared with recommendations for his second term, both building on what we had started and new initiatives. On the way out we paused in the Oval Office. Tearing up, I hugged the President and told him again how much our work and friendship meant to me. And that I’d be on call if he ever needed me.

After she signed her letter of resignation, Clinton recalls her feelings when she left the building.

“For the first time in twenty years, after serving as First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State, I no longer had any role in government,” she wrote.

Hillary Clinton 2007: The Iran threat is too important for the president to act without Congress
Via the invaluable Morgen Richmond, she’s talking here about the president waging war on Iran without Congress’s approval, not signing a nuclear treaty without the Senate’s approval, but that distinction is academic. There’s constitutional support for Congress’s role in both cases, and both cases obviously involve the momentous question of how to neutralize Iran’s nuclear threat. And needless to say, she doesn’t draw her argument narrowly here; she’s in full flower with the checks-and-balances/legislative-oversight rhetoric that used to make Democrats swoon until noon on January 20, 2009.
In confronting enemies and threats, we are fortunate to possess a great many assets, all of which we must wisely deploy, including our military, diplomatic, economic, and cultural assets. Our strongest asset remains the democracy that we are privileged to take part in as members of the Senate and as representatives of our constituents. Our democratic institutions, under our Constitution, balance one another and check against excesses and concentrations of power that help us wrestle with difficult challenges in an open and forthright way. This constitutional framework is not an obstacle to pursuing our national security, but the example that we should project to the world. Our democracy, with its tradition of accountable power and open debate, is America at its best. And that’s what we need, America at our best, as we deliberately and resolutely confront the threat posed by the Iranian regime…
America must proceed deliberately and wisely, and we must proceed as a unified nation. The smartest and strongest policy will be one forged through the institutions of our democracy. That is the genius of our American system and our constitutional duty. We have witnessed these past six years– until the most recent election of a new Congress by the American people– the cost of congressional dereliction of its oversight duty, a vital role entrusted to Congress by our constituents, enshrined in, and even required by our Constitution.
She also condemns the “rush to war” in Iraq, which never bothered her until long after she cast her vote in the Senate authorizing that war in 2002.
I recommend skipping to 13:15 of the clip for the big finish. Congressional “oversight [of the president on Iran] will … lead to a consensus approach,” she says, “that brings together the best judgments and strategies of our nation and will examine the consequences of action, the reality of any perceived or alleged threat, and the consequences of taking action.” I couldn’t agree more. And neither could American voters. Exit question: How’s she going to spin this away going forward? Even if she coughs up some bogus distinction between Congress’s war power and its treaty power, she’ll naturally want the power to wage war unilaterally as president herself. What does she about this clip when that comes up circa 2018?

Huma Abedin’s job arrangement under Hillary investigated by State Dept. IG
The State Department’s inspector general has agreed to investigate the program that allowed former Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton to hire one of her key advisors, Huma Abedin, for government work even as she was also employed by a private firm, a senator revealed Friday.
Inspector General Steve A. Linick also said he wasn’t aware of Mrs. Clinton’s or Ms. Abedin’s use of a non-government email account to conduct official business, and said that’s generally been frowned upon at the department. He pointed to a 2012 report that instructed an embassy to stop using a commercial email system as evidence.
And Mr. Linick said he is looking into whether those employed as Special Government Employees — the designation Mrs. Clinton gave to Ms. Abedin — are following the law, and avoiding conflicts of interest.
“The OIG intends to examine the department’s SGE program to determine if it confirms to applicable legal and policy requirements,” Mr. Linick said in response to a request from Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley, Iowa Republican.
Mrs. Clinton approved hiring Ms. Abedin, her long-time assistant, as an SGE, which allowed her to collect a government salary while also continuing to work for Teneo, a private firm. Mr. Grassley said there the usual conflict-of-interest questions in an arrangement like this are only heightened by the report that Ms. Abedin used the same non-official email server Mrs. Clinton set up for herself.
Rep. Anthony D. Weiner and his wife Huma Abedin, a close aide to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, were married in July. They posed for a formal wedding portrait at the Oheka Castle in Huntington, N.Y. (Associated Press)
Rep. Anthony D. Weiner and his wife Huma Abedin, a close aide ... more >
Mr. Grassley also questioned whether Ms. Abedin was qualified to be designated an SGE, saying that privilege is supposed to be used to entice someone in the private sector to split his or her time, in order for the government to tap someone’s “special knowledge and skills.” In Ms. Abedin’s case she was already working for Mrs. Clinton when she was converted to an SGE, allowing her to then also take an outside job, Mr. Grassley said.

Hillary Clinton Won't Spell Out Position on Late-Term Abortion
Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton is dodging a key question in the abortion debate: Under what circumstances should late-term abortion be legal?
Hillary Clinton
Every declared or likely Republican presidential candidate has expressed support for legislation that would ban most abortions later than 20 weeks after conception--or 5 months into pregnancy--when infants can feel pain and survive if born prematurely. But Hillary Clinton and her spokesman have declined to spell out Clinton's position on late-term abortion.
The issue was brought to the forefront of the presidential race this week when Kentucky senator and GOP presidential candidate Rand Paul told reporters to ask Democratic National Committee chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz “if she’s okay with killing a seven-pound baby that is just not yet born yet.” Wasserman Schultz replied: “Here’s an answer. I support letting women and their doctors make this decision without government getting involved. Period. End of story.” Paul responded: “Sounds like her answer is yes, that she’s okay with killing a seven-pound baby.”

Hillary Clinton’s Truman Show Campaign
If she can’t handle a kickoff speech, how could she handle the presidency? In the catalogue of stock political events, a campaign launch may be as easy as it gets. Sure, first impressions are important. But you find a setting that is historically or personally significant, you hang a few American flags, you gather a crowd of cheering supporters, you talk about America’s great promise, you march out to an upbeat tune. The bar is low. It’s hard to screw up a campaign launch.
But Hillary Clinton might be about to do it. According to the Guardian, Clinton plans to announce her presidential campaign at noon on Sunday, en route to Iowa, “on Twitter . . . followed by a video and email announcement.” Getting to Iowa is suddenly so urgent that she has to make her announcement from a plane 30,000 feet over St. Louis? Hardly. In 2008, Clinton announced via video, too — a 90-second clip in which she declared, “I’m not just starting a campaign. I’m starting a conversation — with you, with America.” Because nothing says “dialogue” like a pre-recorded video with only one person in the room. Eight years later, the Clinton team is doing the same thing. Why? Because for someone who has spent her life in public, Hillary Clinton is very bad in public. And her team knows it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline