Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Moving from Canada to USA

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is any special forms or procedures to complete when I will be hopefully crossing the border on my K1? Does the CBP need special forms for bringing a uhaul of my belongings? Just basic household stuff...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved from K1 Process to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are accompanying your personal belongings, then all you really need is to have a good inventory of the contents of the trailer. Label each box 'generally' ie 'box #1 pots and pans, books, box # 2 winter clothing,box #3 knick-knacks, etc. and for all electronics (computer, cameras, tablets, etc.) also have a list of their make and serial numbers. You are allowed to import without paying duty all personal belongings that you have owned for more than one year. Make an inventory list of any items you are importing that you have owned for less than a year (ie. wedding dress, clock, etc.). When you go in to activate your K-1 visa bring the inventory with you. In all likelihood, it will not even be looked at (mine wasn't) but it is required. You don't need to use any special form or format, just as long as the lists are legible and provide sufficient detail. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/354/~/moving-to-the-u.s.---duty-free-entry-of-unaccompanied-goods,-firearms,-gift

If you are importing your car or vehicle there are documents that you are required to provide, along with a certification letter from the manufacturer that the car meets all US safety requirements and standards (known as a letter of compliance). You should find the information you need to know here: http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

If you are renting a UHaul, make sure you have the rental agreement that shows the trailer can cross the border. Not all rentals or trailers can so be sure you ask that question when you rent it - or call about reserving it.

You will be asked to leave the keys in the vehicle when you are sent into secondary for the K-1 visa. An immigration officer will do a quick check of the car and UHaul. The process really isn't difficult, though, as long as you have all of your paperwork in order. And, as I mentioned, your list may not even be looked at.

Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...