5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post!

So I filed I-751 divorce waiver a while ago last year, and on Feb. 10 I received a general RFE letter as I expected, since I have very limited documentation to prove my bona fide marriage.

So I’d like to briefly present my case here:
May 2011 – Come to US on J1 visa
Sep – Meet ex-wife, starts dating
April 2012 – Move in together
June – Marry
Sep – Conditional Green Card granted
Oct – Find out about wife cheating, relationship goes in downward spiral, becomes draining
Nov – Fly back to my homeland, Hungary, since haven’t had chance to see family in 1.5 yrs
Jan 2013 – Come back to US, separated from wife, considering divorce
Oct – Divorce Finalized

I understand that it has been a very short marriage and my case seems extremely suspicious, but honestly, at the time of my marriage our relationship was affectionate and legitimate. I know that a relationship takes two; it really got to a point, where I couldn’t take it anymore. Fights, arguments, silent treatment became an everyday thing, not to mention cheating. Without any intention of blaming my wife, her personality was misleading; she wasn’t the charming and giving person I’ve known before.

Documentation I’ve already sent in with I-751 divorce waiver:
Cover letter explaining our situation and story
A copy of my marriage certificate

A copy of Car Registration
A copy of Joint Car Insurance
A Letter from bank manager stating my bank account became our joint account
Copies of Joint Bank Account Statements
A copy of our tax return filed married, jointly 2012
A copy of my tax return filed single 2013
Copies of electric bills with both of our names
Statement from landlord saying we live together and pay rent in full every month
Former Affidavits of bona fide marriage by former mother-in-law and sister-in-law
Affidavits of bona fide marriage by former sister-in-law and common friend
Correspondence to us as a couple from friends and family
Correspondence between me and my ex-wife Including emails from her with suicidal thoughts if I don’t go back to her, how she regrets cheating, text messages
Letters to our address
Photographs of shared lives

The general RFE requests more evidence I really can’t create and provide at this time:
Utility Bills and Bank Statements for the entire period of marriage – since we became separated these are N/A
Children – N/A
Common Residence – we didn’t have any lease, mortgage, only the Landlord’s affidavit that we live together, and all the mails coming to our address
Financial – Haven’t had any loans, credit cards, health insurance
Will, trust, durable power of attorney – N/A

I’ve really looked into it and submitted everything that I had from our time. The only other things I could send in are a few paystubs and letters to our former address.

I understand that in my case an interview at the local USCIS office is inevitable. I’m thinking about sending the same packet back with an explanation letter and few other small evidences that I can find.

Any ideas and advice?

Doubtful that anyone would see as bona fide a marriage where one partner cheats within the first 3 months.

Do you really trust someone story just because he/she tells you that?

It is time for you to find a lawyer and expect a lengthy process. DIY is not for your case.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Do you really trust someone story just because he/she tells you that?

It is time for you to find a lawyer and expect a lengthy process. DIY is not for your case.

No I don't. I understand that this is not an easy case, and my chance of approval is very slim.

What can I expect after replying to the RFE letter in your opinions?

No I don't. I understand that this is not an easy case, and my chance of approval is very slim.

What can I expect after replying to the RFE letter in your opinions?

You can expect a lengthy and expensive process, months to years if I am not exaggerating. They will RFE for more if your response is not sufficient and expect an deep interview.

If you decide to do it by yourself, you also expect immigration court. An experienced attorney is your friend.

Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.