Enigma11561

Belarus/US passport problem

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline
Here is the deal. My wife is a Belarus citizen and carries a Belarus passport, under her maiden name. She is now a US citizen and carries that passport under her married name. Both names are very different.

Previously she would travel to Belarus under her maiden name ( Bela passport) and just show her green card when returning home. Never a problem. Marriage certificate showing name change is sometimes necessary. No problem with that either

However, now that she carries both passports ( dual citizenship) I would hope the process is the same and just show her US passport in Minsk ( to show she can enter the US) and again at POE NY.

The question here is will that work since Belarus does not really recognize dual citizenship and MAY cause a problem on her return flight ( exiting Minsk).

Of course she can travel both ways on her US passport but that would entail getting a visa, which is silly, considering she is a Belal citizenship.

Anyone been thru this? Do the Bela immigration people look the other way these days or do they create a hassle? Or do only the airline personnel really need to see her US passport in order to get a seat.?

Please do not compare this to either Russia or Ukraine as they have different immigration policies. Thanks for any help.

modify_inline.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

This has been brought up in the RUB section and I am not 100% sure how this works. Get tickets in married and enter Belarus with maiden name, leave Belarus on maiden name enter US on married name? My wife plans to enter thru Moscow and then travel to Minsk and back the same way as she has been told they don't check in Russia and the border is open. Not sure this helps but as I said before there is a long discussion in the RUB section. After her travel please post something so we all will know what to expect,.

Typically a person's ticket must match the name on the ID used for international travel--i.e. the passport. How hard would it be to change her Belarus passport either here in the US or the next time she travels to Belarus? Having both passports in the same name will of course rectify this problem. You can encounter problems at passport control or when trying to board the airplane by the airline employees. I would think she could travel using her married name and her US passport and when entering Belarus show her Belarus passport, and her marriage certificate and if pressed her US passport. Otherwise you might try contacting the airlines to see if they will issue a ticket in her maiden name and one in her married name or what the recommend as I am sure they see this quite often.

At passport control in Almaty, I have never had to show my airline ticket for entering, but you do when leaving so that is why I say use her married name, but enter Belarus using her Belarus passport and complete the forms in her maiden name--if a citizen has to complete any forms that is.

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

You are right Belarus doesn't recognize dual citizenship. She need to do renunciation of Belarus citizenship.

Spoiler

Service Center : Texas Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Warsaw, Poland
I-129F Sent : 09/12/2014
I-129F NOA1 : 09/18/2014
I-129F RFE : 11/19/2014
RFE Replay : 11/25/2014
I-129F NOA2 : 12/08/2014 (81 days from NOA1)
NVC Received : 12/16/2014
NVC Case Number: 12/17/2014
NVC Left :12/19/2014 (4 days in NVC)

Medical : 01/19/2015
Consulate Received : 12/24/2014 (5 days in transit to Consulate)
Interview Date : 01/27/2015
Interview Result : Approved
Visa on hands: 01/28/2015

USA Entry 02/07/2015

Marriage 03/20/2015

Removal of Conditions

09/12/17: I-751 mailed - Vermont Service Center

09/27/17: NOA1

12/26/18: RFE

Naturalization

02/23/19: N-400 Filed Online

02/23/19: NOA1

event.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Here is the deal. My wife is a Belarus citizen and carries a Belarus passport, under her maiden name. She is now a US citizen and carries that passport under her married name. Both names are very different.

Previously she would travel to Belarus under her maiden name ( Bela passport) and just show her green card when returning home. Never a problem. Marriage certificate showing name change is sometimes necessary. No problem with that either

However, now that she carries both passports ( dual citizenship) I would hope the process is the same and just show her US passport in Minsk ( to show she can enter the US) and again at POE NY.

The question here is will that work since Belarus does not really recognize dual citizenship and MAY cause a problem on her return flight ( exiting Minsk).

Of course she can travel both ways on her US passport but that would entail getting a visa, which is silly, considering she is a Belal citizenship.

Anyone been thru this? Do the Bela immigration people look the other way these days or do they create a hassle? Or do only the airline personnel really need to see her US passport in order to get a seat.?

Please do not compare this to either Russia or Ukraine as they have different immigration policies. Thanks for any help.

modify_inline.gif

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

modify_inline.gif

I have green card and Bel passport. Planning to visit Belarus. Hopefully no problems with Immigration or anyone else.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.