steelersfan1321

Financial Support Affidavit Questions for K-1 Visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all, everyone has been so helpful here so far during our K-1 journey. Our case is finally at the NVC so now it is time for me to fill out the financial support affidavit which I have a few questions about.

1) As far as I understand, the correct form for the K-1 visa is the I-134, not I-864, correct?

2) I specifically requested for my bank to send me "a document used for immigration purposes that shows the opening date of my account, present balance, and my total deposits over the last year." The document that they sent me shows my average two-month balance over the last year, but not my total deposits. Is this standard or is it a mistake I should request this document again making it clearer that it must state my total deposits for the year on it?

Thank you in advance!

event.png
event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all, everyone has been so helpful here so far during our K-1 journey. Our case is finally at the NVC so now it is time for me to fill out the financial support affidavit which I have a few questions about.

1) As far as I understand, the correct form for the K-1 visa is the I-134, not I-864, correct?

2) I specifically requested for my bank to send me "a document used for immigration purposes that shows the opening date of my account, present balance, and my total deposits over the last year." The document that they sent me shows my average two-month balance over the last year, but not my total deposits. Is this standard or is it a mistake I should request this document again making it clearer that it must state my total deposits for the year on it?

Thank you in advance!

Hi!

First of all congrats with getting close to the interview!

1) Yes, you need I-134

2) We went to the bank together with my USC fiance and it is US Bank and we asked for the same of course, so here's the max they could do for us: there is a date the account was opened, balance as of the date we received the paper and basicly the name and address of the account holder. I asked them to print it on the official bank letter with color header and address and phone numbers of the bank and of course signature of the clerk. So that's what I am going to present at the interview if they ask for it, because it is not in the list of documents you MUST have, but it is good if they need additional info and have questions about income.

I hope I helped! Good luck!

Edited by Ksenia1985

Legal Permanent Resident since 09.15.2015

ROC timeline

06.19.2017 I-751 mailed

06.22.2017 package delivered to Laguna Niguel PO box

06.23.2017 check cashed

06.27.2017 NOA-1 received dated 06.22.2017

07.14.2017 Biometrics letter received. Notice dated 06.30.2017

07.19.2017 Biometrics appointment 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Item 2 is only necessary if you have insufficient income to qualify based on income alone. It does not take that much, only about $17,500 per year or so (assuming no other dependents).

If your income will fly here, you can safely ignore the bank letter.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you both for your replies! Let me ask one more thing since you have been so hopeful. I do meet the minimum income requirement, but I am currently on a 6-month contract at my job as a university professor and I won't have a longer term contract until after her interview. I make about 2 times the minimum income in the 6-month contract that I will give with the affidavit of support, but I wonder if it will be an issue that the job contract is only good until July?

event.png
event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you both for your replies! Let me ask one more thing since you have been so hopeful. I do meet the minimum income requirement, but I am currently on a 6-month contract at my job as a university professor and I won't have a longer term contract until after her interview. I make about 2 times the minimum income in the 6-month contract that I will give with the affidavit of support, but I wonder if it will be an issue that the job contract is only good until July?

Can't tell you for sure of course, but I think no one can promise that they won't lose their job say tomorrow. I think as long as your contract doesn't expire a day after the interview you are good. Besides you say you have a bank account and you also make two times the minimum.

I am guessing your employment letter states your contract expires in July?

Legal Permanent Resident since 09.15.2015

ROC timeline

06.19.2017 I-751 mailed

06.22.2017 package delivered to Laguna Niguel PO box

06.23.2017 check cashed

06.27.2017 NOA-1 received dated 06.22.2017

07.14.2017 Biometrics letter received. Notice dated 06.30.2017

07.19.2017 Biometrics appointment 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

It depends. If you have made enough this year then, no, maybe not, especially if your 2014 tax return shows you made sufficient money last year too. And if you're working when she has her interview, you can provide pay stubs that will show you're working and earning enough.

It also sounds like the contract itself would be strong evidence that your annual income is sufficient. Edited to add: I mean if your contract is from January to June of this year and says you'll make $35K during that time, it's clear you make enough money. The pay stubs can prove you indeed worked and got paid as stipulated by the contract.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.