Jump to content

Question about immigration of dual-citizenship children

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


This is my first time posting on here and I would like if someone with knowledge can help me with a few questions about family based immigration. My first question is how does the the immigration process work since my two children have US and Canada citizenships? My husband is a USC and he currently resides in the US and I live in Canada with our two children. When he is filing for a petition for me, does he include our kids or just me even though they live with me? I'm concerned whether or not it affects the household size and application fees for the three of us. If he is suppose to petition for the kids, does the fact that they have legal status in the US make a difference at all? What are the necessary steps to begin this process? Thank you for reading this and if you can help answer or point me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

He will only partition for you, am in UK, my kids are also USA citizens, my husband only did my. In this case is only one person. Hope this helps. All the best

This is the greatest lesson a child can learn. It is the greatest lesson anyone can learn. It has been the greatest lesson I have learned: if you persevere, stick w/it, work @ it, you have a real opportunity to achieve something. Sure, there will be storms along the way. And you might not reach your goal right away. But if you do your best and keep a true compass, you'll get there. Edward M. Kennedy,

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Your children are US citizens and do not need to be petitioned. They enter based on their US citizenship and US passports.

When your husband files for you, he needs to list all your children. This is for biographical data only. Only you will get a visa.

The household count will include the children on your husband's I-864 since they are his minor children. On a Joint Sponsor's I-864 (if you are using one), the household members would not include your children.

The necessary steps starts with the I-130. Follow the Guides in this site. (Use your computer or full version on your mobile to see.)

Best of luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.