Jump to content

"Selling" my Canadian car to my American fiancé/husband?

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am moving to California on a K-1 visa next month and want to import my car. I have the compliance letter and the emissions sticker under the hood, so do not anticipate problems there. However, I intend to return to Canada for approximately 4 months each year (not all at once, in separate trips) to take care of my mom who has a chronic illness. During my 4 months in Canada, I have a second vehicle here which I would drive and so I do need to keep my Canadian insurance for that.

I have read up on California's laws regarding registering the car within 10 days of "residency" or else you will be subject to fines/prosecution. However, I do not want to surrender my Canadian driver's license, because I don't want to give up my Canadian insurance on the second vehicle that I have here....so I'm assuming that means I can't get a California driver's license without surrendering the Canadian one, based on the experiences I've read here...

My question is: Once I have legally imported the car at POE with my K-1, can I legally give/sell the vehicle to my fiancé so that he can register it in his name, he can have the title transferred to California, it can get California plates and he can put it on his California insurance? Or, does the car have to be registered in a state first BEFORE it can be given/sold to him? My Canadian insurance company will not allow me to insure my second vehicle (that's staying here in Canada) without a valid Canadian driver's license, so I have to ensure that I keep my Canadian license at all costs.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Are you in California or another state? If California, what specific steps did you take to get your California DL? Did they ask for your previous DL at all? One post I read stated that you could avoid being asked to surrender your old license by starting at the bottom, getting a California Learner's and working your way up as though you are a brand-new driver, but I imagine that would skyrocket your insurance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not need to surrender your Canadian license. I have a UK, one as well as my new one from here.

In most Canadian provinces (if not all), you have to be a resident to keep a valid license.

theanswerisdance, what you want to do might not be legally possible; you should also look into medical insurance while you travel back to Canada (I know my American insurance is covering me everywhere in the world, yours might, or might not - and your province usually will drop your coverage when you become a legal resident in the USA).

ETA: I know my insurance company in Canada was insuring foreign drivers with valid licenses (maybe not from all countries, but 1000% sure for American, French and Swiss). You might want to ask an insurance broker/other company to insure your second/Canadian car.

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the other poster that you cannot be using your driver's license in your province if you are not a resident... can your mother not have the car in her name instead and insure it? You'd be insured under your American insurance as well and should be fine as a driver in that regard... those are my thoughts in that matter anyway.

As for the car being transferred to your husband... why can't you just keep it in your name while it now lives in California? What difference does THAT particular piece make? You are going to wind up going through all of the work twice and California is particularly frustrating for title work.

Once you've imported the car YOU will need to title it and register it in California. Otherwise your fiance will technically be importing it so that will make it messy. You might be able to get that title first in your name and then immediately add his name to it. Many states allow joint ownership on the title.

2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been awhile for me, and I can't quite remember, but seeing as I still have a Canadian licence in my possession, I'm going to assume that i didn't have to surrender it when i got my Cali licence. (You WILL have to take a road test btw). I agree that changing the ownership in Cal is a big hassle, and if your husband is the one officially importing it, it can be prohibitively expensive (so my husband tells me).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.