WindowLove

i134 vs i864

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Does my Fiance need to file an i134 as well as an i864 or just the i134 is okay and his mom files the i864? He is currently making over 100k but he just started work last year, which means his mom needs to submit as a support as well... She needs to fill in an i864 as well right?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-134 is typically used for co-sponsors as well. Did your consulate specifically state a co-sponsor must use an I-864 instead, even for a K-1?

If he makes over 100k, then he probably does not need a co-sponsor. Is he self-employed and therefore cannot prove his income with a letter from employer and recent pay stubs?

~ Moved from K-1 Progress Reports to K-1 Process ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

He just started work in June 2014.

In the email I got from Montreal, it had this in their list..

Affidavit of support (I-134) (for fiancé, employment and DV visas)

¾ Evidence of support (I-864, Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year)

Timeline

His mom already filled out the papers for the i-134, would that suffice?

As I'm going through this i-1864 form, it says "on Part 5. 3-"If you are currently married, enter 1 for your spouse" - Which she is... however, the husband is not filing one of these forms out which will make it 3 people when I go to Part 5. #8.... Then below where it asks about the income, it'll only show her income, wouldn't that look bad for 3 people? She's making 40k...

His mom already filled out the papers for the i-134, would that suffice?

As I'm going through this i-1864 form, it says "on Part 5. 3-"If you are currently married, enter 1 for your spouse" - Which she is... however, the husband is not filing one of these forms out which will make it 3 people when I go to Part 5. #8.... Then below where it asks about the income, it'll only show her income, wouldn't that look bad for 3 people? She's making 40k...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Does my Fiance need to file an i134 as well as an i864 or just the i134 is okay and his mom files the i864?

The 134 is for the K-1 interview. The 864 is for AOS after marriage.

He is currently making over 100k

Then unless his household size will be super large, that's enough to sponsor on his own.

but he just started work last year,

So, doesn't matter. Current income is key, not how long at it.

which means his mom needs to submit as a support as well...

Where did you hear this? Totally untrue.

She needs to fill in an i864 as well right?

Nope, Read the Guide and Form Instructions and Follow the Example Forms....links at the top of this page.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

He just started work in June 2014.

In the email I got from Montreal, it had this in their list..

Affidavit of support (I-134) (for fiancé, employment and DV visas)

¾ Evidence of support (I-864, Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year)

Ok, so he started working in June, and is currently making over $100k annually? Like I said, if he is not self-employed, then no need for the co-sponsor. Why do you think he must have one? He can prove his income with a letter from employer and recent pay stubs. It is about current income, not past. Hell, even if self-employed and needing to prove income with the most recent tax return, working June-Dec. 2014 at that pay rate probably shows enough Total Income to meet the requirement. For a household of 2, it is only approx. $20k. He earns $80k over that.

If you still want to take co-sponsor documents, then use the I-134 for the co-sponsor. Don't give them the co-sponsor documentation unless they state they need it. I really do not think they will.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in a similar situation. I thought I had all of my paperwork done and then I see on an email that my fiance received from Montreal that the I-864 is required as well as the I-134. (Just like you posted above.) Now, I'm so confused how to fill this I-864 out because it doesn't seem like it fits our situation at all. And every time it says mailing address I have no idea if it means mine or my fiance's. Totally confused over here. :(

Mailed in 129F Packet: June 23, 2015

NOA1: July 8, 2014

NOA2: January 4, 2015

Packet 3: February 21, 2015

Packet 4: February 27, 2015

1st Canadian Background Check Performed: March 23, 2015 (Ended up getting lost in the mail!)

Interview (Montreal): April 1, 2015 (Not approved- missing Canadian Background Check)

2nd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 7, 2015 (Location's system went down, never received)

3rd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 10, 2015 (Emailed to us a few hours later)

3rd Canadian Background Check & Passport submitted to U.S. Consulate via Loomis: April 13, 2015

3rd Canadian Background Check Rejected for being a print-out (that's all we had at first!): May 6, 2015

Original 3rd Canadian Background Check w/ Sticker submitted via Loomis: May 6, 2015

Status Changed to "Issued": June 9, 2015

Visa Ready for Pick-Up: June 12, 2015

POE (Canadian-USA Border at Champlain St. Bernard de Lacolle): June 12, 2015

MARRIED! June 23, 2015

Mailed in AOS Packet: June 27, 2015

NOA1: July 6, 2015

Biometrics: July 20, 2015 (Actual appt. date in letter was July 28, 2015, but we did a walk-in)

Timeline

I'm in a similar situation. I thought I had all of my paperwork done and then I see on an email that my fiance received from Montreal that the I-864 is required as well as the I-134. (Just like you posted above.) Now, I'm so confused how to fill this I-864 out because it doesn't seem like it fits our situation at all. And every time it says mailing address I have no idea if it means mine or my fiance's. Totally confused over here. :(

If you received what was posted above, then it states the I-134 is for a fiance(e) visa. That is what you need. I-864 will come later after you are married and filing for AOS.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdf

Affidavit of support (I‐134) with all supporting documents
Edited by KayDeeCee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you!

Thank you!

Mailed in 129F Packet: June 23, 2015

NOA1: July 8, 2014

NOA2: January 4, 2015

Packet 3: February 21, 2015

Packet 4: February 27, 2015

1st Canadian Background Check Performed: March 23, 2015 (Ended up getting lost in the mail!)

Interview (Montreal): April 1, 2015 (Not approved- missing Canadian Background Check)

2nd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 7, 2015 (Location's system went down, never received)

3rd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 10, 2015 (Emailed to us a few hours later)

3rd Canadian Background Check & Passport submitted to U.S. Consulate via Loomis: April 13, 2015

3rd Canadian Background Check Rejected for being a print-out (that's all we had at first!): May 6, 2015

Original 3rd Canadian Background Check w/ Sticker submitted via Loomis: May 6, 2015

Status Changed to "Issued": June 9, 2015

Visa Ready for Pick-Up: June 12, 2015

POE (Canadian-USA Border at Champlain St. Bernard de Lacolle): June 12, 2015

MARRIED! June 23, 2015

Mailed in AOS Packet: June 27, 2015

NOA1: July 6, 2015

Biometrics: July 20, 2015 (Actual appt. date in letter was July 28, 2015, but we did a walk-in)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.