waiting_for_aos

Dropping the attorney

16 posts in this topic

Have your new attorney file a G-28 with their information on it (if you wish to have another attorney represent you), or file a G-28 with your own information on it if you no longer wish to be represented by anyone other than yourself.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Have your new attorney file a G-28 with their information on it (if you wish to have another attorney represent you), or file a G-28 with your own information on it if you no longer wish to be represented by anyone other than yourself.

Thanks Hypnos!

I looked at G-28 and I didn't see any option for no longer being represented by an attorney. On the USICS website it says the following,

"

Send us a letter saying you want to withdraw your legal representative and intend to continue your case without any legal representation.

If you do so, USCIS will communicate only with you". http://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-your-form-g-28

"

So it appears I will have to send them a letter.

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am really unhappy with the way my current attorney has handled my case. I want to drop her and notify USCIS about it. Has anyone ever done that? What steps do I need to take?

Out of curiosity, why are you dropping your attorney this late in the game?

I've seen other people here send a G-28 with their own information when they are dropping their representation. It's possible USCIS changed their procedures for removing representation.

Either way, if they say they want a letter than a letter is probably the way to go.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I dropped one the morning of an AOS interview! Just write a letter to USCIS and say XXXX is no longer representing me and all information about my case should be sent to .....(me).

I also brought a copy of the letter to our interview.

Be warned that the attorney will still get copies but at least you get direct copies at that point.

Edited by ppihtr123

Finished!

I dropped one the morning of an AOS interview! Just write a letter to USCIS and say XXXX is no longer representing me and all information about my case should be sent to .....(me).

I also brought a copy of the letter to our interview.

Be warned that the attorney will still get copies but at least you get direct copies at that point.

Thanks for your input ppihtri!

Out of curiosity, why are you dropping your attorney this late in the game?

There are several reasons. First of all my application was supposed to go to CSC but my attorney sent it to Vermont. Almost all the people who sent their application to CSC already got their approvals. When I pointed this out to my attorney she became argumentative and basically told me that I have "high chance of denial". I can't continue with such a terrible attorney. Also, she went over my documents and didn't tell me basic things such as I should be sending tax transcripts instead of 1040, send bank statements for all years I had account with my ex wife instead of only few etc. Many of these things can cause RFE. Considering I am a waiver case and lived apart from my wife while we were married, my case is already sensitive. There is absolutely no way I want to deal with this incompetent attorney. Here is some more detail on my case http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/534976-badly-need-advice/

Edited by waiting_for_aos

Timeline

There are several reasons. First of all my application was supposed to go to CSC but my attorney sent it to Vermont. Almost all the people who sent their application to CSC already got their approvals. When I pointed this out to my attorney she became argumentative and basically told me that I have "high chance of denial". I can't continue with such a terrible attorney. Also, she went over my documents and didn't tell me basic things such as I should be sending tax transcripts instead of 1040, send bank statements for all years I had account with my ex wife instead of only few etc. Many of these things can cause RFE. Considering I am a waiver case and lived apart from my wife while we were married, my case is already sensitive. There is absolutely no way I want to deal with this incompetent attorney. Here is some more detail on my case http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/534976-badly-need-advice/

Wow.....the lawyer is a scumbag. You are right. It is time to move on from her. As for filing at the wrong location, I think they can transfer the file but I do not k ow whether you have to call them to initiate that. Also, the fact that you did not stay married for long is no reason for denial. There are many who do not even stay six months after they receive a green card but with a well documented file and a good explanation as to what happened, they are approved sometimes without a interview. Good luck but you will be fine.

By the way, which state to you live in?

Timeline

On the filing locations, they changed on January 14th, 2015 so your lawyer may be correct. Here is where you were supposed to file before January 14, 2015

This is from the old I-751 FORM before January 14th, 2015

Where to File?

If you live in Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, or Wyoming, mail your petition to the California Service Center:

USCIS California Service Center P.O. Box 10751

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1075

If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, or West Virginia, mail your petition to the Vermont Service Center:

USCIS Vermont Service Center 75 Lower Welden St.

P.O. Box 200

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

Here is how they revised on a notice dated January 14, 2015

"USCIS has now changed the filing location for Form I-751 from Vermont Service Center (VSC) to California Service Center (CSC). Applicants from Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas were earlier allowed to file their applications with VSC but now they must file their I-751 applications with CSC.

USCIS has announced that VSC will continue to accept I-751 applications filed by applicants from Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas until February 16, 2015. Applications that VSC receives between 17 February, 2015 and 16 March, 2015 will be forwarded to CSC for processing. The center will stop accepting I-751 applications filed by applicants from the above mentioned locations for incorrect jurisdiction after 17 March, 2015.

However, USCIS has stated that this change in filing location will not affect pending applications and VSC will continue to process cases it received before the changes in filing locations went into effect."

Wow.....the lawyer is a scumbag. You are right. It is time to move on from her. As for filing at the wrong location, I think they can transfer the file but I do not k ow whether you have to call them to initiate that. Also, the fact that you did not stay married for long is no reason for denial. There are many who do not even stay six months after they receive a green card but with a well documented file and a good explanation as to what happened, they are approved sometimes without a interview. Good luck but you will be fine.

By the way, which state to you live in?

I live in Texas. I applied in September 2014 and even at that time my application was supposed to go to CSC. But USCIS continued accepting applications from other states at VSC until January 2015. But now they made it mandatory for people in Texas to file at CSC. I could have overlooked that my attorney sent it to VSC, but I can't overlook how horribly she handled my case overall. It was a mistake to go to her. In fact, I would have done a lot better job had I researched this forum and applied on my own.

Timeline

I live in Texas. I applied in September 2014 and even at that time my application was supposed to go to CSC. But USCIS continued accepting applications from other states at VSC until January 2015. But now they made it mandatory for people in Texas to file at CSC. I could have overlooked that my attorney sent it to VSC, but I can't overlook how horribly she handled my case overall. It was a mistake to go to her. In fact, I would have done a lot better job had I researched this forum and applied on my own.

I live in Texas too and at that time, we were supposed to file with VSC. I thought so too and I wrote an email to my lawyer asking why they sent to VSC. Luckily I checked the USCIS website and it clearly stated that from January 14, 2015, they had changed the filing locations but were going to be accepting applications till mid-Feb. l sent an email with an apology and my lawyer confirmed it. I then checked copies of my form and instructions and he was correct to send it to VSC.

Either way, with all the other factors, your lawyers needs to be kicked to the curb.

I live in Texas too and at that time, we were supposed to file with VSC. I thought so too and I wrote an email to my lawyer asking why they sent to VSC. Luckily I checked the USCIS website and it clearly stated that from January 14, 2015, they had changed the filing locations but were going to be accepting applications till mid-Feb. l sent an email with an apology and my lawyer confirmed it. I then checked copies of my form and instructions and he was correct to send it to VSC.

Either way, with all the other factors, your lawyers needs to be kicked to the curb.

That actually makes me feel better. So far I was frustrated that my approval has been delayed because my incompetent attorney sent it to the wrong location. But you are right, I still need to drop my attorney for how horribly she has handled my case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.