Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I've frequented vj quite a bit throughout my wife's visa process and learned a lot from the information given here. I do have a question that I hope someone could help answer, so here goes:

Background: My wife was recently approved for her IR-1 visa here in Seoul at the US embassy ;) Getting all the paperwork together was quite a workout, but that's a different story all together. In regards to her visa, her passport arrived by courier just the other day and we were surprised to find that her visa is only good through June 4 of this year. After doing some more research, I figured out that her visa validity was tied to her medical exam, and because she did her medical exam at the beginning of December, her visa is only valid for 6 months from that date.

So here's the problem: our housing lease isn't up until the end of June, and we have a substantial amount of money tied up within our current house (if any of you are familiar with the Korean jeonse system, you put a HUGE amount up front and live rent free for 2 years). So that said, the dates aren't quite lining up, whereas we need my wife to enter the US before June 4, and we can't move yet because our housing lease finishes at the end of June(not to mention us needing to liquidate all of our other assets/belongings here).

So here's my question: Could my wife and I go on a vacation to the US for about a week, in order to get the I-551 stamp, and then fly back to Korea on a round trip ticket? We were thinking maybe we could just take a week vacation and go to Hawaii to relax before trying to sell and liquidate everything we own in Korea (been here 6 years). Would we have any issues if the POE is different than our intended PR(PR is in southern California, vacation plan is for Honolulu)? Would we need to show an itinerary that says we're flying directly to our PR when we go through the POE?

Any help or advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your plan is completely valid. You can enter anywhere in the USA or at a pre clearance airport, it does not have to be where she intends to live. Just make sure to not spend too much time liquidating if possible (try for less than 6 months after she leaves from vacation.) Have a great POE and vacation!

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.