Same-sex rulings stop all marriages in parts of Alabama
image001-png_162613.png
By JAY REEVES 43 minutes ago
c93c46e223f8c20a6f0f6a70670080c5.jpg

View gallery

• a2dcda0b23e2c10a6f0f6a706700d147.jpg
  • 98edf61cfebdbc096f0f6a706700e527.jpg
  • d163e791febdbc096f0f6a706700d447.jpg

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Alabama's stand against same-sex marriage had seemed to be crumbling under federal court pressure, but it regained ground Wednesday after the state's highest court ruled that its ban on issuing licenses to gays and lesbians remains legal, despite federal court decisions to the contrary.

The Alabama Supreme Court ordered county probate judges to uphold the state ban pending a final ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court, which hears arguments in April on whether gay couples nationwide have a fundamental right to marry and whether states can ban such unions.

Stuck between the state's highest court and a series of federal rulings, many probate judges were at a loss. At least one office — in Mobile County, one of the state's largest —quit issuing licenses altogether. "We regret having to take this action, but feel that it is necessary given the unprecedented circumstances that currently exist," read that announcement.

And Montgomery County Probate Judge Steven Reed, one of the first Alabama judges to issue licenses to same-sex couples, said it gives him no choice but to turn gays and lesbians away in the state capital.

"As a named party in continuing litigation on this matter, I am bound by this order from the state's highest court, whether I agree with it or not," Reed said in a statement.

It was unclear what most other judges would do after the all-Republican court sided with a pair of conservative groups and ordered Alabama's 68 probate judges to stop issuing marriage licenses to gay couples. The state justices said U.S. District Judge Callie Granade in Mobile, who ruled the ban unconstitutional, does not get the last word in Alabama.

http://news.yahoo.com/alabama-probate-judges-ordered-halt-gay-wedding-licenses-094009786.html

continuing reading at yahoo

Expected of Alabama. hmmmmmmm

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

In the end all these rogue states will force the SCOTUS to make a ruling and the entire country will win. It's the Civil Rights campaign all over again... It seems Alabama hasn't learned it can't stop time...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Alabama. Okay to marry your siblings, parents or children but gays marrying is just going too far.

They'll lose this anyways in the end so it's no big deal. Entertaining to see them squirm, though.

:rofl::rofl:

In the end all these rogue states will force the SCOTUS to make a ruling and the entire country will win. It's the Civil Rights campaign all over again... It seems Alabama hasn't learned it can't stop time...

He loves executive action.

Just to note, not all people in Alabama are of the same opinion. Neither are they all inbred. But if you feel better about yourself by saying so, well that's your issue I suppose.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

You are right, of course. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

However, the states in that part of the country are infamous for lagging behind the nation by decades. It's almost as though they take pride in conforming to a stereotype.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

3 more months till the U.S. Supreme Court rules!

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

You are right, of course. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

However, the states in that part of the country are infamous for lagging behind the nation by decades. It's almost as though they take pride in conforming to a stereotype.

It is the bible belt and they are slow to change, and I agree. It is part of the reason why my Alabama husband never wanted to move back after leaving the military. :) We rather enjoy Colorado. The winters are too long for him, but for me, they're just right! ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It is the bible belt and they are slow to change, and I agree. It is part of the reason why my Alabama husband never wanted to move back after leaving the military. :) We rather enjoy Colorado. The winters are too long for him, but for me, they're just right! ;)

My dude is from Tennessee. As much as he loves the place, as a socially progressive/fiscally prudent dude, it's not somewhere he feels comfortable. We both love California, where we're amongst fellow nutjobs. :)

My dad is from Texas. He got the hell out at 18, headed east for college and has barely gone back in the past 50 years. One of the great things about America is that there is enough space to find where we're supposed to be.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

Welcome to the dark side. :devil:

My dude is from Tennessee. As much as he loves the place, as a socially progressive/fiscally prudent dude, it's not somewhere he feels comfortable. We both love California, where we're amongst fellow nutjobs. :)

My dad is from Texas. He got the hell out at 18, headed east for college and has barely gone back in the past 50 years. One of the great things about America is that there is enough space to find where we're supposed to be.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org