HollyBeanz

K1 Fiance Not Living In Country of Citizenship

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiance, who is American, and I just got engaged a couple weeks ago.

We are now looking to start the K1 process. But I'm a tad confused about parts of it.

I am originally from Ireland. I am living in Vancouver, Canada on a Working Holiday Visa. I have been here for the past two years and met my fiance while living here. My visa in Canada is good until January of next year, by which time I'd like to have the K1 visa in hand and move to the States to start a life with my love.

I am mostly just wondering if the fact that I don't reside in Ireland changes anything with regards to the application? I have been assuming that it doesn't as I have legal status in Canada. But now that we're ready to get the process underway I am starting to stress about whether it's going to be an issue. Can we apply as normal while I am living here? The interview and medical exam are specific concerns for me, can they both be carried out here in Vancouver? I don't want to have to go back to Ireland to get it all sorted as I'm working full-time in Vancouver and plane tickets are dang expensive.

Is it recommended to hire an immigration lawyer for this process? I'm pretty clever and thorough when it comes to things like this, so I'd like to think we can do it all ourselves.

What kind of hiccups/unexpected delays should we expect?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I am pretty sure that when you look at the I-129F there is a portion that says "Your Fiance will apply for a visa abroad at the american embassy or consulate at:" (Questions 36A and 36B). This should be where you indicate where you are expecting to apply for your visa. That in conjunction with your mailling address should be enough to clarify where you intend to apply.

Regarding using a lawyer, Visa Journey is a DIY site. Pretty much almost everyone here will tell you to not hire a lawyer for something you can do following the guides. If you dont have any real big immigration or criminal hurdles your case should be failry easy.

As for potential pit falls, just make sure you have lots and lots of evidence to back up your relationship and you wont get a Request For Evidence.

By the way, Congrats on the engagement!

Edited by GabsUSA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am mostly just wondering if the fact that I don't reside in Ireland changes anything with regards to the application?

No

I have been assuming that it doesn't as I have legal status in Canada.

Correct, one of the Canadian US Embassies will be where you have your interview.

But now that we're ready to get the process underway I am starting to stress about whether it's going to be an issue.

Don't be.

Can we apply as normal while I am living here?

Yep

The interview and medical exam are specific concerns for me, can they both be carried out here in Vancouver?

Yes

I don't want to have to go back to Ireland to get it all sorted as I'm working full-time in Vancouver and plane tickets are dang expensive.

Won't need to.

Is it recommended to hire an immigration lawyer for this process?

No

I'm pretty clever and thorough when it comes to things like this, so I'd like to think we can do it all ourselves.

Most folks can and do.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiance, who is American, and I just got engaged a couple weeks ago.

We are now looking to start the K1 process. But I'm a tad confused about parts of it.

I am originally from Ireland. I am living in Vancouver, Canada on a Working Holiday Visa. I have been here for the past two years and met my fiance while living here. My visa in Canada is good until January of next year, by which time I'd like to have the K1 visa in hand and move to the States to start a life with my love.

I am mostly just wondering if the fact that I don't reside in Ireland changes anything with regards to the application? I have been assuming that it doesn't as I have legal status in Canada. But now that we're ready to get the process underway I am starting to stress about whether it's going to be an issue. Can we apply as normal while I am living here? The interview and medical exam are specific concerns for me, can they both be carried out here in Vancouver? I don't want to have to go back to Ireland to get it all sorted as I'm working full-time in Vancouver and plane tickets are dang expensive.

Is it recommended to hire an immigration lawyer for this process? I'm pretty clever and thorough when it comes to things like this, so I'd like to think we can do it all ourselves.

What kind of hiccups/unexpected delays should we expect?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Congratulations! The only thing I would add is to remind you that the K-1 visa is valid for about 6 months from date of issuance - please see the specifics for the embassy/consulate you will process through. Keep this in mind to help you decide when to start the process to best suite your wedding/immigration plans. Right now CSC, where the I129f portion of the process would be reviewed, is moving through cases quite quickly but that could change so best to continue monitoring VJ to keep informed about current processing times. Good luck.

I-751

NOA8/11/17

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.