sweetswinks

Pennsylvania Drivers Learners Permit

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm going to the local drivers license center in PA on Saturday and I was wondering if anyone had any issues applying with their EAD?
My EAD is valid until January 2016.

I will be taking:
1. Passport
2. EAD (should i take my approval letter too?)
3. I-485 NOA (I797 receipt notice) and NPIW
3. Social security card
4. 2 x Proof of PA residency

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

When I moved to PA from NJ I had to get my PA license. Besides the regular stuff like letters w address I brought EAD, passport, social security card. They will give u 90 days past the EAD expiration. Remember, only check or money order accepted at PA DMV. Since I didn't know how much it was going to be I brought personal check and filled it out once told the amount. Also if u have glasses or contacts make sure to bring since they will ask u to do an eye exam...

Hole this helps!

Timeline

When I moved to PA from NJ I had to get my PA license. Besides the regular stuff like letters w address I brought EAD, passport, social security card. They will give u 90 days past the EAD expiration. Remember, only check or money order accepted at PA DMV. Since I didn't know how much it was going to be I brought personal check and filled it out once told the amount. Also if u have glasses or contacts make sure to bring since they will ask u to do an eye exam...

Hole this helps!

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately they had to send DHS my documents for "Additional Verification" ........ :ranting: I don't really undestand why because my I797, EAD, SSN card, mail, and all USCIS forms have my married name, I don't understand why they would need further verification on that part, unless the system is saying they're not sure if an EAD holder can receive a DL.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Did you go along with your spouse?

I'm going through this process in PA soon (next few weeks). I need my wife for the proof of residency bit so I'm hoping they are more helpful for us.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately they had to send DHS my documents for "Additional Verification" ........ :ranting: I don't really undestand why because my I797, EAD, SSN card, mail, and all USCIS forms have my married name, I don't understand why they would need further verification on that part, unless the system is saying they're not sure if an EAD holder can receive a DL.

Wow. I'm surprised. Every time I went they had to verify also, but did right then and there. I'm assuming they called them. Where in PA are u from? There r some remote places here where they probably don't see many EAD's. Being from Germany and being used to efficiency I had to learn to be a lot more patient here lol

And if u have a drivers license from ur country u might be able to skip the driving portion of US drivers license.

Timeline

Did you go along with your spouse?

I'm going through this process in PA soon (next few weeks). I need my wife for the proof of residency bit so I'm hoping they are more helpful for us.

Yes I went with my husband (he's the USC) but I had a bank letter with my name and address on it, and a phone bill.

Regardless of that part, the SAVE couldn't verify me. That is why they sent off all of my document copies to get "Additonal Verification". It's not a PA resident issue, it's a SAVE issue. I did a bit of searching and found that this is common even with an EAD SAVE may have not been updated with my status.

Hope that helps and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

im from PA to and planning to go apply dl learners permit .after reading this im sad because i dont have Ead yet.just done with my biometrics .

so i think i have to wait more longer to learn to drive.we were hoping to learn and drive soon as the weather gets warmer

K1

Noa1: August 15, 2013
Noa2: Oct 03, 2013
INTERVIEW: August 22, 2014 APPROVED :star:
US ENTRY: Nov 10,2014-Ohare Chicago
MARRIAGE: Nov 22,2014 (L)(L)(L)
AOS:
Sent AOS packet via Usps : Feb 10, 2015

Reciept Date-February 17,2015
Texts & Emails confirming receipt: Feb 20, 2015
NOA 1:hard copies received Feb 26 ,2015
Biometrics letter received:March 03, 2015
Biometrics appt:March 18, 2015
EAD:April 23,2015-Card was ordered to be produced
AP : April 23,2015- Case approve

Update :Card was mailed to me-April 30,2015

No interview

Received Welcome Notice-September 15,2015

Received Green Card in the Mail -September 23,2015 :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.