PaulineA

Can I get an ead?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline
You might want to spend a few moments reading the information HERE lest you run away with the idea that it is all a mere formality ;)

That info pertains to "fraudulent marriages" which indicates that the marriage, itself, is fake.... that the couple are only married so that the alien can obtain a greencard, which doesn't apply in my case.

I was aware of what the link referred to. The line of questioning in reference to immigrant intent is just as pervasive and detailed. That was the point I wished to demonstrate. I am not talking about your individual case or any one elses for that matter. If you wish to believe that immigrant intent is never questioned and people are never denied an application for AOS based on immigrant intent and that they are never removed from the USA and all is plain sailing in the world of AOS interviews then so be it. :shrugs: If you honestly believe that all AOS interviews go along the lines you suggested in your post then you may well find yourself in for a very rude awakening indeed. I sincerely hope you don't :D

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's really odd, I've never seen one person who adjusted from something other than a K-1 or K-3 visa report being asked about their intentions upon entering the US......anyone here ever had an AOS interview experience where they were asked if thier intent was to immigration from one of these other Visa types?

Reason I ask is that I see all these dire warnings, but then have never, ever seen someone report that they were asked about this.

Maybe they had no Internet access after they were deported :P There are stated cases . It is unusual in that most AOS form VWP appear to be fairly plain sailing, however that I am sure is due in no small [part to the applicants being adequately prepared and able to deal with the questioning. It does no harm to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

If you want some reading on actual experiences at various offices this site isn't bad

http://www.kamya.com/interview/130int2.html

Above you say that there are cases "where people have been refused on the basis of immigrant intent should you care to use the search function"

I used the search function and can't find them. I just want the links to the threads showing those cases. It'd be interesting to see what questions were asked.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I would get an EAD for the dog, it would probably come quicker!..just kidding.

:lol: I want to know if the dog needs to apply for LPR status if not then perhaps if we all claimed to be animals we could avoid the paperwork :devil:

Well.........getting back to the subject of the thread just for a moment.....How much does the EAD cost? I don't think I am able to get one according to what people have said, but I'm interested to know how much it would cost.

As far as the AOS interveiw goes, I will have to wait and find out as to what questions they will ask me, when the time comes. My husband and I will have been married for two years on the 14th of february, so I think that may be of some benifit to us at the interview.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

Timeline
Above you say that there are cases "where people have been refused on the basis of immigrant intent should you care to use the search function"

I used the search function and can't find them. I just want the links to the threads showing those cases. It'd be interesting to see what questions were asked.

It appears not :(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/manc...time/search.jpg

Of course adjustment of status is considered discretionary. USCIS may still deny an application for adjustment of status even where none of the statutory bars applies.

In practice, adjustment of status will be granted where the alien is statutorily eligible and there are no "negative factors." When such negative factors exist, the factors will be weighed to determine whether adjustment will be granted. Close family relatives, particularly immediate relatives, may be a strong factor favoring adjustment.

Preconceived intent to remain in the U.S. at the time of entry as a nonimmigrant, even though not resulting in fraud or willful misrepresentation, may be a sufficient negative factor to deny adjustment of status.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

:lol: I want to know if the dog needs to apply for LPR status if not then perhaps if we all claimed to be animals we could avoid the paperwork :devil:

Well.........getting back to the subject of the thread just for a moment.....How much does the EAD cost? I don't think I am able to get one according to what people have said, but I'm interested to know how much it would cost.

As far as the AOS interveiw goes, I will have to wait and find out as to what questions they will ask me, when the time comes. My husband and I will have been married for two years on the 14th of february, so I think that may be of some benifit to us at the interview.

EAD application fee is $180.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

You can apply for an EAD either at the same time or after you apply for AOS. Current cost is I believe $180. The benefit of your two years is you will not have conditions imposed should your application be successful - good luck

Timeline

You can apply for an EAD either at the same time or after you apply for AOS. Current cost is I believe $180. The benefit of your two years is you will not have conditions imposed should your application be successful - good luck

Thank-you

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Pauline,

Good luck on your immigration journey. If you are not in a real hurry or not in an emergency situation, the EAD and the Advanced Parole is a waste of money, as it takes about three months for those to get approved, which is about the same time (three months) that it takes for the Green Card to be approved and received. Therefore, some people end up getting an EAD and an AP after or shortly before they get their Green Card, which makes the EAD and AP useless. I was advised of that beforehand, hence I never applied for it. Lol..the funny thing is that the money that I saved in not applying for an EAD and Advanced Parole went to paying the immigration lawyer's bill instead (and yes, it was worth the money). I got my AOS approved and got my Green Card rather quickly too!

But in case you want to apply for and EAD or an AP beforehand, cost-wise, for each of those documents is about $180 USD (total cost of about $360 for both).

Note that in New York State though, legally you need an SS# to apply for a driver's license, for any financial transactions, or for paid employment opportunitues.

Hope this helps.

Ant

This question has prabably been asked a lot, but I can't find any information on my situation. I came here as a visitor to the US, got married to a USC, and applied for a visa. I was supposed to apply for a green card, but I applied for the wrong thing. Anyway, my question is, can I still apply for an ead card? Is there any way I can work legally without one? Thanks.
Edited by antocru

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Good luck on your immigration journey. If you are not in a real hurry or not in an emergency situation, the EAD and the Advanced Parole is a waste of money, as it takes about three months for those to get approved, which is about the same time (three months) that it takes for the Green Card to be approved and received.

That's incorrect information.

SOME people get their greencards in 3 months or less. The average is 6 months or so. Some people don't get them for years.

The notion that greencards are now being churned out REGULARLY in less than 3 months is a poor one and not something anyone who NEEDS to work or WANTS to travel should bank on.

Hi Rebeccajo,

Good luck on your immigration journey. Sorry about your situation in waiting for so long, and I hope you get that sorted out soon. Yes, I know that it might take some people longer than three months to be approved, due to namechecks or whatever else. Every case and every situation is different, so others should do what is the best for them in their situation, whether it is better for them to apply for an EAD and AP, or not to apply for it. Hence I said, "If you are not in a real hurry or not in an emergency situation...". In mentioning my situation, I wanted to point out the alternatives and the pros/cons of patiently waiting for a Green Card versus spending for an EAD or AP, so that they can figure out what is the best option for them in that sense too.

Ant

SOME people get their greencards in 3 months or less. The average is 6 months or so. Some people don't get them for years.

The notion that greencards are now being churned out REGULARLY in less than 3 months is a poor one and not something anyone who NEEDS to work or WANTS to travel should bank on.

Edited by antocru

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Rebeccajo,

Good luck on your immigration journey. Sorry about your situation in waiting for so long, and I hope you get that sorted out soon. Yes, I know that it might take some people longer than three months to be approved, due to namechecks or whatever else. Every case and every situation is different, so others should do what is the best for them in their situation, whether it is better for them to apply for an EAD and AP, or not to apply for it. Hence I said, "If you are not in a real hurry or not in an emergency situation...". In mentioning my situation, I wanted to point out the alternatives and the pros/cons of patiently waiting for a Green Card versus spending for an EAD or AP, so that they can figure out what is the best option for them in that sense too.

Ant

Still, it's best not to advise anyone that green cards are on average being granted in three months. EAD and AP (if desired) are like insurance. There are too many cases where one didn't apply for those thinking the green card would be approved quickly and then, months later, are still waiting. Some have to reapply for EAD, waiting for the GC. Some have very fast approvals...some don't. Hopefully yours will be one of the lucky ones, eh? My husband and I have been waiting almost 8 months now. Some got approvals in one month. I would rather spend the money for EAD and AP and NOT need them rather than find out months later that I should have applied.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

AP is hardly relevant, the OP came here 2 plus years ago, so is well out of status and subject to a ban is she leaves.

I do not believe dog's have a status? Perhaps it is that of the owner?

I am slightly surprised she got in, I did read of someone who turned up for a 'holiday' in the US with 2 cats, she was on the next flight back.

But there are exceptions to every rule.

I do not have the links, but I have read several posts over the years from people who have been refused adjustment from entry on the VWP, but as a percentage must be very tiny.

I had to wait 15 monhs for my interview, times vary significantly.

And how could a dog arise at an adjustment interview?, probably best not to take it with you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Hi Rebeccajo,

Ant

Still, it's best not to advise anyone that green cards are on average being granted in three months. EAD and AP (if desired) are like insurance. There are too many cases where one didn't apply for those thinking the green card would be approved quickly and then, months later, are still waiting. Some have to reapply for EAD, waiting for the GC. Some have very fast approvals...some don't. Hopefully yours will be one of the lucky ones, eh? My husband and I have been waiting almost 8 months now. Some got approvals in one month. I would rather spend the money for EAD and AP and NOT need them rather than find out months later that I should have applied.

The proposal for the fee hike shows the national average is 7.7 months for AOS.

This combined with the 2006 Ombudsman report state that they are trying to make it 90 days for approval, but we are not there yet.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.