Kolewenoik31

Traveling using a credit card.....any problems?

14 posts in this topic

Timeline

I have a question that I asked a friend. I wanted to purchase my husbands ticket using my debit card but in his name. I was told that it would be okay as long as the booking company and my bank verified.

So I did some digging and wanted to know if anyone else was told this info. I called Emirates and they told me that if I book through a third party like ie. Expedia then a card verification is not needed. But if I book through their direct online site then they will require the airport to verify when my husband goes to get his boarding pass. So I then decided to call Expedia and ask them if they needed to verify {trying to cover all bases}, they told me that they have an agreement with the airport to act on the customers behalf and as long as the money clears the account then the ticket is considered purchased and there is no need for verification.

Does this sound right? I want this to be a hassle free experience for my husband.

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a question that I asked a friend. I wanted to purchase my husbands ticket using my debit card but in his name. I was told that it would be okay as long as the booking company and my bank verified.

So I did some digging and wanted to know if anyone else was told this info. I called Emirates and they told me that if I book through a third party like ie. Expedia then a card verification is not needed. But if I book through their direct online site then they will require the airport to verify when my husband goes to get his boarding pass. So I then decided to call Expedia and ask them if they needed to verify {trying to cover all bases}, they told me that they have an agreement with the airport to act on the customers behalf and as long as the money clears the account then the ticket is considered purchased and there is no need for verification.

Does this sound right? I want this to be a hassle free experience for my husband.

I have purchased airline tickets online for other people using expedia, priceline, and orbitz. They have never had a problem. I have always sent them the inteniary by email and they print it and get their ticket at the counter. They only issued I've ever had is when I booked a hotel through orbitz, I had to call the hotel and give them my information when my fiancee was checking in since it was my name on the card and her using the room. Airline tickets, like I said, never a problem and I've used all three. Just make sure that the traveler name is his and that in the debit card area yours is used. No problems....

Edited by Shauneg

Timeline

I have purchased airline tickets online for other people using expedia, priceline, and orbitz. They have never had a problem. I have always sent them the inteniary by email and they print it and get their ticket at the counter. They only issued I've ever had is when I booked a hotel through orbitz, I had to call the hotel and give them my information when my fiancee was checking in since it was my name on the card and her using the room. Airline tickets, like I said, never a problem and I've used all three. Just make sure that the traveler name is his and that in the debit card area yours is used. No problems....

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! I was hoping that the info was correct. I have heard some horror stories about people being sent back or not being able to board. But when I called the CBP at the airport I was told that the only time an issue came up is if there were many red flags beside a spouse purchasing for their loved one.

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

On my last trip I purchase my ticket right through delta on line and at the airport was requested to show my credit card. I thought the same how will my husband verify the card is his spouse if we purchase for here.

Timeline

On my last trip I purchase my ticket right through delta on line and at the airport was requested to show my credit card. I thought the same how will my husband verify the card is his spouse if we purchase for here.

That's because you bought the ticket through the airline and not a third party such as expedia, priceline, kayak, orbitz, or any of the others. As the op stated when you buy through the airlines, they require you to show it at the counter.....not the 3rd party vendors. I am not sure why that's the case. but it is. I can only surmise that when bought through third party, the airlines aren't worried about whose name is on the card, because the money doesn't go through them but through the vendor so it's the vendors responsibility to verify not the the airlines. Through a vendor the airlines will get their money no matter what so they aren't concerned with how the ticket is purchased. Kinda long winded but that's my take on it. As stated before I have bought tickets through those sites no less than ten times for others while I wasn't traveling with them and never had any issues at all.

Shaune--> Vendor---> Delta
Delta will get the money from the vendor no matter what card is used or whose name is on it, because the ticket is bought from Delta by the vendor. It is the vendor's risk to verify the card
Shaune ----> Delta
Delta will verify my card at the counter because they are getting the money from me and have a stake if there is an issue with the card
Edited by Shauneg

That's because you bought the ticket through the airline and not a third party such as expedia, priceline, kayak, orbitz, or any of the others. As the op stated when you buy through the airlines, they require you to show it at the counter.....not the 3rd party vendors. I am not sure why that's the case. but it is. I can only surmise that when bought through third party, the airlines aren't worried about whose name is on the card, because the money doesn't go through them but through the vendor so it's the vendors responsibility to verify not the the airlines. Through a vendor the airlines will get their money no matter what so they aren't concerned with how the ticket is purchased. Kinda long winded but that's my take on it. As stated before I have bought tickets through those sites no less than ten times for others while I wasn't traveling with them and never had any issues at all.

Delta will get the money from the vendor no matter what card is used or whose name is on it, because the ticket is bought from Delta by the vendor. It is the vendor's risk to verify the card

Shaune ----> Delta

Delta will verify my card at the counter because they are getting the money from me and have a stake if there is an issue with the card

Ok will do it through third party. Thank you for the information.

Timeline

The Emirates rep told me that they have to verify with the card holder at the airport but not through a third party. Now if you have that airlines close by { which I don't}, you can purchase right there and swipe your card to verify.

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Shaune ----> Delta

This isn't true because I've used my mom's credit card to buy myself tickets on Delta directly, my CC to buy her tickets on Delta directly, and my CC to buy my fiance an international ticket on Delta directly. You can have them look up your reservation using that CC you used at the counter if that is the method you use, but you can look it up any of the other ways with Delta at the counter as well. They don't care who paid for the flight. It's the same as a step parent buying a flight for a step child to travel alone to visit their parent. There is a reason the passenger info section is different than the payment info section.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Timeline

This isn't true because I've used my mom's credit card to buy myself tickets on Delta directly, my CC to buy her tickets on Delta directly, and my CC to buy my fiance an international ticket on Delta directly. You can have them look up your reservation using that CC you used at the counter if that is the method you use, but you can look it up any of the other ways with Delta at the counter as well. They don't care who paid for the flight. It's the same as a step parent buying a flight for a step child to travel alone to visit their parent. There is a reason the passenger info section is different than the payment info section.

Like I said it's my best guess for why they were told they need to have the card with them. I don't know if you actually do or not. I know you don't need it for sure through a vendor.

Delta in July and December ask me to show my cc to verify it was my card and both times the ticket was for myself. In December it was thrown somewhere in my purse and I ask what if I didnt have it and the answer was you wont be able to fly and explain there have been many cases where tickets are purchase with stolen cc and its for customer safety. Luckily after digging everything out I found it.

Edited by Perez2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Delta in July and December ask me to show my cc to verify it was my card and both times the ticket was for myself. In December it was thrown somewhere in my purse and I ask what if I didnt have it and the answer was you wont be able to fly and explain there have been many cases where tickets are purchase with stolen cc and its for customer safety. Luckily after digging everything out I found it.

I just flew to Germany in December with a ticket I didn't purchase and had no issues, but both my card and my mom's are frequently used to buy Delta flights.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Timeline

I just flew to Germany in December with a ticket I didn't purchase and had no issues, but both my card and my mom's are frequently used to buy Delta flights.

Again as stated before....you must show the CC if you purchase through the direct airlines. If you purchase through a vendor you don't need to verify. I took the liberty to call Delta and the lady told me that yes you do have to present the CC from African or high fraud countries. Amsterdam and European countries don't usually ask. But even in the countries where its not asked it may be asked randomly at the end of purchase and if so you must go to the airport either in the foreign country or the US to present it. Hope this clarifies any misinformation.

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I've always bought tickets for my children and parents whenever they travel many dozens of times

and it's not been a problem...but then again, they were mostly domestic and few international flights.

I would think it should be OK once the purchase clears at the time of the purchase.

Whenever I travel, I have option to use the credit card at the kiosk machine to print the e-ticket

at the airport, but I've always used the confirmation number instead, and that doesn't

require the credit card.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.