featherB

For K1s already in the US....

Just want to pick the brains of those who have been there, done that...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Did you fly into JFK and get the temp EA stamp?

• Yes - because we wanted the EA stamp
    • Yes - because we live in/near New York
    • No - we didn't think it was worth the hassle/expense
    • No - we didn't know it was an option
    • Does not apply - not there yet!
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. In hindsight, are you glad you did it that way?

• Yes - got the EA stamp & it was worth it
    • Yes - didn't get the EA stamp & don't regret it
    • Yes - but only because we live there anyway
    • No - didn't get the EA stamp & wish we had
    • No - got the EA stamp, it wasn't worth it
    • Does not apply - not there yet!
    • Other - please explain

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

I'll be living with my fiance out of the country until his visa is approved and can come (we both are very grateful for being together while waiting)

anyway, we will both fly into JFK, it is kinda on the way home anyway (we are going to Maine) we will have to stop somewhere for the night since we can't get from Grenada to Maine in a single day. Sooo, we decided to stop of there, and hope for an EAD....we can use all the cash we can.

Sue

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be living with my fiance out of the country until his visa is approved and can come (we both are very grateful for being together while waiting)

anyway, we will both fly into JFK, it is kinda on the way home anyway (we are going to Maine) we will have to stop somewhere for the night since we can't get from Grenada to Maine in a single day. Sooo, we decided to stop of there, and hope for an EAD....we can use all the cash we can.

Sue

This topic is quite interesting to me as I'm about six weeks away from making the JFK or not Choice. Not to throw a spanner in the works but I flew into Newark on 2-21-07, from the UK.

I asked the POE officer if its true that only JFK issues EAD stamps on K1 visas. He replied "Thats not true, all POE are supposed to process K1 visas in the same manner, I have seen many EADs issued here on K1 visas"

This statement has my brain in a spin, I am searching this site and USCIS sites for the truth, Its out there somewhere!

04-17-2007 Married using K1 Vusa
04-27-07 Filed for AOS, EAD, AP.
06-28-07 Green card arrived in mail

April 2009 Filed for removal of conditions.
May 09 2007 Biometrics
Aug 31st Congratulations letter, no interview needed
Sept 21st 2009. New green card with conditions removed arrived.

N400 Status
07/26/10 N400 mailed via UPS. Three year rule
08/03/10. Check cashed.
08/06/10 NOA letter received, but "Request for evidence" showing on the status website.
08/08/10 NOA #2. Biometrics appointment letter. Scheduled for 08/31/10
08/09/10 Biometrics completed. Walk in.
11/01/10 Touched. Transferred to local (Tampa) office
12/06/10 Interview . Passed
01/11/11 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We won't get it because I live in Orlando, Fl and going through JFK would be completely out of our way.

However, I do plan on mentioning it at the POE in Miami to see what happens.... :innocent:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

We won't get it because I live in Orlando, Fl and going through JFK would be completely out of our way.

However, I do plan on mentioning it at the POE in Miami to see what happens.... :innocent:

Good idea! :)

Am even more confused now after reading what Buxton Babe was told at Newark...

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Timeline

We have used the temp EAD at JFK as an excuse to change our plans.

I'm going to take the train up there, he'll fly in to JFK and I'm takin him to the Statue of Liberty & we'll do a few days in the city before taking the train home. Not the most convenient of trips, but it'll be fun! :D

Plus, as a Kev Smith Freak, he wants to go to the secret stash in Red Bank & visit the stupid effing Kwik Stop, lol

Ongoing research:

http://www.k1poelist.com/

04-17-2007 Married using K1 Vusa
04-27-07 Filed for AOS, EAD, AP.
06-28-07 Green card arrived in mail

April 2009 Filed for removal of conditions.
May 09 2007 Biometrics
Aug 31st Congratulations letter, no interview needed
Sept 21st 2009. New green card with conditions removed arrived.

N400 Status
07/26/10 N400 mailed via UPS. Three year rule
08/03/10. Check cashed.
08/06/10 NOA letter received, but "Request for evidence" showing on the status website.
08/08/10 NOA #2. Biometrics appointment letter. Scheduled for 08/31/10
08/09/10 Biometrics completed. Walk in.
11/01/10 Touched. Transferred to local (Tampa) office
12/06/10 Interview . Passed
01/11/11 Oath ceremony

I will have J do the poll when she arrives, but we are having her go through JFK. It is a primary flight route from Dubai anyway, although flights through London and Frankfurt were also options, which would have left JFK out of the picture. We wanted to find J a flight through JFK and try to get the temp work permit, because I believe she will dedicate herself to finding some sort of temporary work, she really wants to work, and hey... I won't lie, with all the expense of the K-1 process, why not have extra income? There were no cheaper options by any other route anyway so why the heck not?

And if she does get the stamp and can't find work, we are out nothing... For us it was a no brainer.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As of right now, the plan is for Dave to fly through JFK in hopes of getting the temp EAD stamp. I've looked at flights and the prices are about the same (but this is a month away and could change drastically!) Sure he'll have to hit a few more airports, but if the price stays about the same, I believe it'll be worth it!

I know that it'll probably be a month before he could even get a job, seeing how they say to wait 2 weeks before going to the SS office and it takes about 2 weeks to get your card. But if it takes 3 or more months before he can get approved for his EAD, this is still going to be less time for him to just be sitting around. I live in a really really small town, so there wouldn't be much to do besides watch tv and play his PSP, which he said he'd be fine with lol But I think after a month of this, he'll be itching to get out of the house more.

The extra money definitely won't hurt either. We've both been trying to save so we won't be hurting during this waiting time, but it doesn't leave much room for extras, especially not knowing how long it might take to get the EAD approval.

April 21 Dave arrives in America!

April 28 WE GET MARRIED!!!

May 9 Went to SS office and was denied

May 15 After gathering all paperwork, told we must file through DORA program

July 19 DORA appointment - they send paperwork to Chicago after this.

July 24 Paperwork is received by Chicago

August 9 Notice for Biometrics appointment

August 28 NOAs for AOS/EAD

Sept 6 Biometrics

Sept 26 Email saying card production ordered for EAD.. YES!!!

Oct 9 EAD card, Yay!!!!!

Dec 31 Finally got the Resident card! Yay!!!

Basically, way too much hassle for a document valid only 90 days--so no regrets!

That's the part I'm curious about. I don't see how it benefits you if it expires after 90 days, meaning you'd have to get the 'regular' EAD at that point. So then you'd have to stop working after the 90 days but while you wait for the new EAD to come in. What employer would be okay with that?

I think A) you juuuuuust might get your EAD at 90 days if you're veeeery lucky, and B) I've heard that some employers will allow the employee to stay on while waiting for the EAD.

Yep, got Temp EAD on the way i and got my EAD application approved before the 90 days was up.

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.