Elgivi

english proficiency test ,toefl, ielts review

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

hi everyone, does anybody here know any good review school or online review for the 'international english profiency test' . Or any books that may help . I am searching one as I am planning to continue my nursing course here in the United States. And prior to everything, passing the english profiency test is a must.

Maybe you can suggest any!

thanks a lot !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

My friends had a very hard time with it, even friends that I consider fluent :wow: I just had to take the Tasks test and then took college level english courses as part of the Texas core classes so I didn't have to take the Toefl.

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Other Timeline

I also have a concern and I'm wondering if do we still need to taka TOEFL even if we became naturalize? I would like to pursue a nursing degree as well.

N400 Timeline

=========================

Dallas/Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

=========================

GC Date :01 | 23 |2013

Sent : 10 |23 | 2017

Cashed : 10 | 31 | 2017

NOA : 01 | 01 | 2017

FPRINT : 11 | 07 | 2017

( Original bio 11~15~17 )

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving to the US and Your New Life In America from Off Topic - With similar topics~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

There are different english tests and certificates I don't know if you already have one in mind (IELTS, TOEFL?).

Once you're focused and you have chosen a specific exam it's better to get the book which has been made for the purpose of that exam only.

In my case, I did the IELTS and then took this book

This test (more specifically the Academic module) is required from many universities, have a look at requirements of the institution you want to attend.

Same for english courses or schools, it depens on the test you're taking, each of these test institutions offers lessons in different cities.

23 December 2014 I-129F SENT

29 December 2014 NOA1

12 January 2015 NOA2

29 January 2015 NVC CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED

09 February 2015 CONSULATE RECEIVED

03 March 2015 MEDICAL EXAM

04 March 2015 INTERVIEW: APPROVED!

05 March 2015 VISA IN HAND

12 March 2015 POE

Timeline

I also have a concern and I'm wondering if do we still need to taka TOEFL even if we became naturalize? I would like to pursue a nursing degree as well.

i was informed that yup we do need since we're foreign graduates.

i was informed that yup we do need since we're foreign graduates.

Timeline

There are different english tests and certificates I don't know if you already have one in mind (IELTS, TOEFL?).

Once you're focused and you have chosen a specific exam it's better to get the book which has been made for the purpose of that exam only.

In my case, I did the IELTS and then took this book

This test (more specifically the Academic module) is required from many universities, have a look at requirements of the institution you want to attend.

Same for english courses or schools, it depens on the test you're taking, each of these test institutions offers lessons in different cities.

I am more familiar with IELTS since they offer this exam too in the Philippines , so I am thinking of taking these test. thanks for responding. I'll ry to find a book similar to what you used ;)

If you are trying to get into school. U need to take toefl. Not ielts... because toefl for American college (usually)

and if you become u.s. citizen you must take SAT. However it depends on school. If you graduated high school out of this country. They will allow you to bring toefl score. But it depends on....

Some school told me that I should get sat too because I am greencard holder...

Swear in 03/20/2015

U.S. Citizenship 2015 Nov~

Removing conditions on Residency

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
NOA 1 NEVER RECEIVED (EDIT - MY HUSBAND PUT THAT LETTER IN THE CAR...GRRRR I JUST NOTICED THAT AFTER I RECEIVED MY GREENCARD)
Biometrics 07/14/2014
(Case transfer from VSC to CSC Oct/29/2014)
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
3rd Bio 02/03/2015 + Infopass for I-551 stamp
RFE Responded 02/04/2015 (Mailed RFE Jan 30)
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015
Card Mailed 02/17/2015 Card was picked up by the usps 02/18/2015
Card in hand 02/21/2015 !!!!!

Adjust to permanent resident status

Filed 05/03/2012
NOA 1 05/07/2012(notice date)
Biometrics 06/08/2012
(Case transfer from VSC to CSC June/01/2012)
Approved 09/05/2012
(welcome notice with card)

Books.... um.... memorize all toefl words first. You can buy any toefl test books in the bookstore.

reading part is kinda easy... writing is lil bit hard.. so you should practice...and whenever u take a test it will cost around 200 dollars too...

I already took a test 2 years ago. So...

trying to get reading & listening score more speaking and writing it is kinda hard. Speaking isn't hard but you should said it within 45 mins...that's why.

especially while you are taking a test.. you may get nervous so don't expect alot to get good speaking score.

Swear in 03/20/2015

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
NOA 1 NEVER RECEIVED (EDIT - MY HUSBAND PUT THAT LETTER IN THE CAR...GRRRR I JUST NOTICED THAT AFTER I RECEIVED MY GREENCARD)
Biometrics 07/14/2014
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015

Filed 05/03/2012
Biometrics 06/08/2012
Approved 09/05/2012

Timeline

Books.... um.... memorize all toefl words first. You can buy any toefl test books in the bookstore.

reading part is kinda easy... writing is lil bit hard.. so you should practice...and whenever u take a test it will cost around 200 dollars too...

I already took a test 2 years ago. So...

trying to get reading & listening score more speaking and writing it is kinda hard. Speaking isn't hard but you should said it within 45 mins...that's why.

especially while you are taking a test.. you may get nervous so don't expect alot to get good speaking score.

Thank you toribae1031 , 200 dollars every test is not that cheap yay, yeah I was still deciding what test should I take,thanks for giving me ideas. You're right I should probably take toelf. I just boughT Barron's TOEFL iBTt actually, that fits me more as I hardly understand UK english lol which IELTS is using. Also i'm trying to evaluate the level of my english whether I'm required for the test and not needing any additional english classes before preparing for a toefl exam. Found some test online and I did evaluate myself but I'm not sure ifI can depend on that.

Thank you toribae1031 , 200 dollars every test is not that cheap yay, yeah I was still deciding what test should I take,thanks for giving me ideas. You're right I should probably take toelf. I just boughT Barron's TOEFL iBTt actually, that fits me more as I hardly understand UK english lol which IELTS is using. Also i'm trying to evaluate the level of my english whether I'm required for the test and not needing any additional english classes before preparing for a toefl exam. Found some test online and I did evaluate myself but I'm not sure ifI can depend on that.

Hello. Thank u tht my answer helped u.also I want to say it. If you want to take a test to go to college. You should pick up 3 to 5 college tht you want to go. Then. Ask to international advisor ( you can call or you can send email to them)

every college has different rules some college will say you should take sat and toefl together. Or the other say only toefl..... I was trying to get into college before so I kinda know that. Also they have limit score. such as. Reading listening part. At least 24 score... or each subject you should get over 22 score.

So it would be better to pick up to college first then contact to international advisor to get more info what you need.

Idk IMA trying to find.. if I get writing sample still or not if i have I can send it to you.

Swear in 03/20/2015

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
Biometrics 07/14/2014
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015

Filed 05/03/2012
Biometrics 06/08/2012
Approved 09/05/2012

Timeline

Hello. Thank u tht my answer helped u.also I want to say it. If you want to take a test to go to college. You should pick up 3 to 5 college tht you want to go. Then. Ask to international advisor ( you can call or you can send email to them)

every college has different rules some college will say you should take sat and toefl together. Or the other say only toefl..... I was trying to get into college before so I kinda know that. Also they have limit score. such as. Reading listening part. At least 24 score... or each subject you should get over 22 score.

So it would be better to pick up to college first then contact to international advisor to get more info what you need.

Idk IMA trying to find.. if I get writing sample still or not if i have I can send it to you.

yeah i graduated college in my home country but I'm sure for me to apply my degree here I will be required to go back to school (I may need more classes or clinical practices) which I would prefer to do since US's health care is kinda far advance I feel like I still have lots of things to learn. So yeah it would be for college. I didn't know any about SAT ,is that similar to Toefl , like the test itself?

Yup pls do share if you happen to know any about how to evaluate level of english. thank you very much you enlightened me about this matter????

BARREN'S book is alright . but not 100 percent because it has lots of error...

I kept barrens book until I membered 90percent of Toefl words and until I get more confident of reading section..

you should practice writing too. you should write everything with computer they will give you 30mins for writing.

-Reading : you should study words a lot... and grammar it will help you first time. and trying to summarize each paragraph. I usually summary right next to the paragraph.

it will help you to reduce reading time. absolutely feedback.. and after you study, you should know all words that reading part that you studied.

-Listening : it is long time to listen and when you listen you should guess what is key words. such as.. while professor is talking about some good government rules all of sudden he said however / but/ also .. etc. or all of sudden student ask the question. something like that.

sometimes you need to know about astronomy lol they love astronomy and biology but not too serious. it means you need to know some of the words which are related with that part.

-Speaking : I got low score of it because.. it is not hard to speak however, I didn't make toefl supervisor? (idk how can I call) satisfied with my answer that's why.. it is very hard to find right answer. Independant is alright however, integrate section is lil bit hard for me. they will give me 60 mins and I have to summarize (but including all important information)

ALSO.. SPEAKING IS SPEED TEST .. ugh!!! grrrr!

-Writing : it was alright my wpm is 60 so I didn't really worry about writing something on computer.. I got high score ( i think they didn't tell me well but I am pretty sure. writing score was high that's why ) from independant section. integrate section is my weakness to try to pick up strong opinion.writing .. it will hard for you so I made my own introduction nd conclusion ( to get more time for writing body paragraph. I usually focus on body)

my structure writing essay was (independant)

topic sentence - supporting reason with example (at least 2 examples - Closing sentence

it is very hard to study alone.. because it is easy to start to study, but you should put certain amount of time for studying at least everyday 3 hours something like that...

you can study toefl whenever you want but this is test so I set my date after 3 months later.. and I studied everyday ( yeah it was torture to me because my brain didn't work and I am very lazy person) Eventually I got score I wasn't really happy with that score but I could get into college also apply scholarship too ! :)

Swear in 03/20/2015

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
Biometrics 07/14/2014
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015

Filed 05/03/2012
Biometrics 06/08/2012
Approved 09/05/2012

sat is.... hard for people who didn't graduate american high school.. if you want to go university or good college they will ask you toefl plus SAT too. or just SAT..

i didn't apply college which is required me to submit SAT score.

TOEFL < GRE < SAT

it is very hard to study! and I think it would be better to go nursing college again.. i heard that it would be better to go undergraduate nurse college or.. what should i say i cant remember...

NCLAX? it is for nursing i think so! :)

sat is.. way tooo hard and took so long time if you are confident to study , then do it but every test you should get high score that is your goal :)

so that's why I said search any college that you want to go then check tuition fee and etc... then if you still like it you should and must contact to international advisor they will give you answer.!!!!!!!!! sat or toefl or gre! (gre is for graduate college but idk because you already went to college so.. )

** speaking section they gave me 45 sec or 60 sec for talking

Swear in 03/20/2015

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
Biometrics 07/14/2014
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015

Filed 05/03/2012
Biometrics 06/08/2012
Approved 09/05/2012

Timeline

sat is.... hard for people who didn't graduate american high school.. if you want to go university or good college they will ask you toefl plus SAT too. or just SAT..

i didn't apply college which is required me to submit SAT score.

TOEFL < GRE < SAT

it is very hard to study! and I think it would be better to go nursing college again.. i heard that it would be better to go undergraduate nurse college or.. what should i say i cant remember...

NCLAX? it is for nursing i think so! :)

sat is.. way tooo hard and took so long time if you are confident to study , then do it but every test you should get high score that is your goal :)

so that's why I said search any college that you want to go then check tuition fee and etc... then if you still like it you should and must contact to international advisor they will give you answer.!!!!!!!!! sat or toefl or gre! (gre is for graduate college but idk because you already went to college so.. )

** speaking section they gave me 45 sec or 60 sec for talking

wow congratulations, Scholar ;) from what you said Toefl is something you don't really take for granted. Needs a lot of time to study read and write, yay. since I came to the US i found myself having a hard time sometimes on listening and speaking english I guess even though I've finished english in college in my home country i find it hard to speak straightly at times. ( been living in russia too , non english place for 3 years made me forgot english) and listening, US english has different accents too making me hard to understand when i talk to people who has it.

so you did 3 months to prepare for the toefl exam? I probably will have 4 months more till i receive my green card, i'll use that for studying I guess. I didn't know though how to start Studying , so I just ordered that Barron's book. Do you know any that offers online classes about this ? I'm trying to seach but I'm kind of having a hard time looking for one . You're right I may just try looking for school I wanted to then for sure they'll give me the requirements. For now I will just prepare myself :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.