Steve and Andi

Visa approved, but I have a few questions.

56 posts in this topic

Thank you!

I will bear this in mind :)

Phoebe, also look into flying into Seattle and taking a puddle jumper to PDX. Could make it slightly cheaper. :)

What flight plan do you normally take? My fiance has been taking LHR-->AMS-->PDX.

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

I just got a one way ticket to Baltimore for 300 GBP while spending some miles. I didn't know when I would be back in the UK.

By the way, it is cheaper to do a return from the UK than the US.

Previous Visa & EAD/AP Timeline

K-1 Visa Timeline

22 March 2014 - Sent I-129F

See timeline for data in between these dates.

24 June 2014 - Interview

25 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

26 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Issued

01 July 2014 - Received Visa

POE & Marriage

03 July 2014 - POE (BWI airport)

14 July 2014 - Marriage

Advanced Parole (I131)Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
31 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
27 September 2014 - EAD Combo Card Received

Employment Authorisation (I765) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
20 September 2014 - Card in Production Update
22 September 2014 - Card in Production Update Again
25 September 2014 - Card Sent Update (Another update came later that day with USPS tracking code)
27 September 2014 - Card Received

Adjustment of Status (I-148) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
24 July 2014 - Acceptance - Fingerprint fee accepted and case processed at Nebraska Service Center
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
26 August 2014 - Biometrics Done
12 November 2014 - Notification of Potential Interview Waiver (NPIW) Received
26 March 2014 - Cleveland Field Office is requesting my file from NBC.
23 April 2014 - Green Card Ordered!

Avatar Photo by Henry Mühlpfordt / CC-BY

1) do I buy a one way, or return plain ticket?

2) how long does it take (usually) for my visa to be ready to collect?

3)at my embassy interview they didn't take a passport photo from me.. They asked for it, then returned it to me. Is this what they normally do?

4) should I end my mobile phone contract here in the uk, then buy a new phone in America, or can I somehow use my phone over there?

There will probably be more questions as I get ready to leave...lol

Thank you in advance?

Andi

1. Return or one-way - whatever is cheapest. Just make sure if you buy a return that you cancel the second leg or the airlines will get stupidly mad at you about it. Also bear in mind sometimes random cheap fares come up for major US destinations (NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, Atlanta) and some Canadian ones (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver ). Sometimes getting one of those big flights and then a separate booking for the internal flight can be cheaper - We have found this to be the case on some occasions. Norwegian air is like Ryan Air - super bargain basement fares (no food or anything - bring snacks!) but you can get a ticket for like $500 usd.

2. Visa is quick - we got it within 5 days, delivered.

3. They scan the passport photo. Don't worry.

4. We switched to O2 pay as you go to keep UK number. With an iPhone you can receive texts and whatnot on a British and/or US iPhone by using iCloud - nifty little trick we discovered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thank you for all the advice, it's all really helping.

I've stopped worrying about the photo ?

I've decided to cancel my phone contract, and give my iPhone to my daughter so we can FaceTime when I move, and I'll get a phone over there on Steves phone plan.

I'll book a return ticket, soon!!!

And I'll try be patient about the visa...lol...is it here yet!!!?

Andi

Timeline

Thank you Keith J ?

I'm impressed, I got a reply to my email from the embassy already!

They said everything is good about the photo?

Andi

Phoebe, also look into flying into Seattle and taking a puddle jumper to PDX. Could make it slightly cheaper. :)

What flight plan do you normally take? My fiance has been taking LHR-->AMS-->PDX.

Normally I do LHR ---> LAX or Sea-Tac----> Redmond (or Eugene when Dan was at OU)

However I HATE changing at LAX so I try and keep it as Seattle. I once did Bristol ---> Amsterdam ----> Portland ----> Eugene and it nearly killed me haha! :rofl:

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Timeline

Hi guys??

I have another question ?

I need to open a bank account in the USA, to transfer my saving over there before I move.

The bank in the USA said I need a social security number to open an account, which I don't have yet!

Any advice???

Andi

Edited by Steve and Andi

Hi guys??

I have another question ?

I need to open a bank account in the USA, to transfer my saving over there before I move.

The bank in the USA said I need a social security number to open an account, which I don't have yet!

Any advice???

Andi

Load money onto a travel card (I recommend the postoffice travel money card) then once you have your SSN open an account, withdraw the money from the travel card and then put it in your US bank account.

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

I've decided to cancel my phone contract, and give my iPhone to my daughter so we can FaceTime when I move, and I'll get a phone over there on Steves phone plan.

Just a heads up, there's an App, called Viber, that you can use to make calls and text each other for free. My fiancé and I use it and a friend of mine uses it to talk to her friends in Brazil. It's free too!

And congrats! :)

Service Center : Texas Service Center          AOS begins!                                                                                            ROC Time!

Transferred? No

Consulate : Montreal, Canada (He is a German, but has been living in Canada for the last 5 years)

I-129F Sent : 2014-07-21                           Packet sent: 2015-06-22                                                                          Packet sent: 2017-11-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-07-29                        NOA1 for I-485 and EAD: 2015-07-02                                                 Receipt notice: 2017-12-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-02-03                       Biometrics Appt: 2015-07-28                                                                  Biometrics: 2017-12-28

NVC Received:No notice. Case # 2014-02-18    RFE: 2015-07-21 (RFE on I-485)                                              Approved w/o Interview: 2019-1-17

NVC Left : 2015-02-24                             RFE returned: 2015-07-29                                                                         Recieved: 2019-1-24

Consulate Received : 2015-02-26           Response received: 2015-08-03

Interview Date : 2015-04-15                   EAD Approved: 2015-09-04

Interview Result : APPROVED!! :D  EAD card Received: 2015-09-11

Visa Received : 2015-04-21                      Card Production Ordered: 2015-12-10 (No Interview! :D )

US Entry : 2015-04-23

Marriage : 2015-05-09

german_american_flags.jpg

Timeline

Thank you Pheebs,

I just check out to po card, it doesn't seem to let you put much on it ($1,200), is there a way of putting more on it?

Thank you Vicky&Fritz, thank you for the tip and congrats ?

Andi

Make sure, if you have an iPhone 5 or newer, to possibly try your SO's sim card in it. Verizon iPhones are required, by US law, to be unlocked for sims, but the carrier band doesn't always carry over from country to country.

Timeline

Thank you Aubrey??

I have a iPhone 4s, so it's probably not worth keeping it anyway ( although I do love it)... Lol

I'll start afresh with a new phone when I'm over there.

Andi

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan :wub:

October 23rd 2014: Sent documents to the US to begin K1 visa application :star:

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted :rolleyes:

November 12th 2014: Tracking states that package was FINALLY delivered by USPS (why did it take so long to get there?! :ranting: )

November 17th 2014: Electronic Notification of NOA1 B-)

November 21st 2014: Electronic Notification of NOA2 :dance:

November 22nd 2014: Hard copy of NOA1 received :lol:

November 26th 2014: Hard copy of NOA2 received :yes:

December 15th 2014: NVC Assigned Case Number :dancing:

December 17th 2014: CEAC Status: In Transit ^_^

December 24th 2014: Received by embassy :)

January 23rd 2015: Medical :bonk:

Interview???

Hope that helps :)

The above information is really helpful... Try this..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.