14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey everyone, this is my first post so thank anyone who respond in advance! I'm reallt looking for some advice and support regarding my soon to be husband getting his GC.

A little background info is probably due and i'll try to keep it as simple as possible! I'm from Southern California, and he is from Northen Ireland. We met 5 years ago and have been together for the last 4 years. Between us we have had 7 visits over those 4 years, ranging in length from 2 weeks to two months. We have travelled to Portugal for his sister's wedding together, and all around Southern California and Ireland.

So he came to visit me Dec 6, 2014 to stay for 2 and a half months and then return back home. That was the plan return ticket purchased and all. But as the weeks passed we realized that once I start nursing school in a few months it would almost be impossible to see each other. We didn't want to have to part, especially after 4 years of going back and forth as it was getting to be a stuggle with me being a student. So long story short we chose to get married. Now this was completely unplanned, and we really don't want to be apart so we are working now on getting all the paperwork filed to get his GC. After looking into lawyers and such we have chosen to go it on our own and file things by ourselfs. (I for one are very organized and have been researching every single day!)

I have looked at the step by step instructions on here and have a girlfriend who did the same thing with her now husband who has agreed to lend me her paperwork to see. We are getting married on Jan 26th, 2015 and as soon as we get the marriage liscene I'm going to send in the packet.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? I have scrapbooks (3 HUGE ones) that have documented our entire long distance realtionship, including plane tickets, musuem tickets, bus tickets, ect. I also have skype logs spanning the last 5 years, twitter and facebook messages, a joint paypal together, ect. Is there anything else that I could show? We don't have an actual joint bank account or a apartment yet, as he does not have a ss # and we are currently looking for apartments. Thank you in advance!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas Progress Reports sub-forum to main AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas forum ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hey everyone, this is my first post so thank anyone who respond in advance! I'm reallt looking for some advice and support regarding my soon to be husband getting his GC.

A little background info is probably due and i'll try to keep it as simple as possible! I'm from Southern California, and he is from Northen Ireland. We met 5 years ago and have been together for the last 4 years. Between us we have had 7 visits over those 4 years, ranging in length from 2 weeks to two months. We have travelled to Portugal for his sister's wedding together, and all around Southern California and Ireland.

So he came to visit me Dec 6, 2014 to stay for 2 and a half months and then return back home. That was the plan return ticket purchased and all. But as the weeks passed we realized that once I start nursing school in a few months it would almost be impossible to see each other. We didn't want to have to part, especially after 4 years of going back and forth as it was getting to be a stuggle with me being a student. So long story short we chose to get married. Now this was completely unplanned, and we really don't want to be apart so we are working now on getting all the paperwork filed to get his GC. After looking into lawyers and such we have chosen to go it on our own and file things by ourselfs. (I for one are very organized and have been researching every single day!)

I have looked at the step by step instructions on here and have a girlfriend who did the same thing with her now husband who has agreed to lend me her paperwork to see. We are getting married on Jan 26th, 2015 and as soon as we get the marriage liscene I'm going to send in the packet.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? I have scrapbooks (3 HUGE ones) that have documented our entire long distance realtionship, including plane tickets, musuem tickets, bus tickets, ect. I also have skype logs spanning the last 5 years, twitter and facebook messages, a joint paypal together, ect. Is there anything else that I could show? We don't have an actual joint bank account or a apartment yet, as he does not have a ss # and we are currently looking for apartments. Thank you in advance!!!

Have you already applied for the I-129F?

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Timeline

Have you already applied for the I-129F?

Why would they file an I-129F petition? They are already in the US, getting married next week and going to apply for AOS. They need to follow this guide > http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Why would they file an I-129F petition? They are already in the US, getting married next week and going to apply for AOS. They need to follow this guide > http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

I didn't wanna rule out the possibility that they filed I-129F before & that was being processed. Then he came to visit on ESTA. During that visit, they decided to marry.

Edited by Marco&Bettina

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Timeline

I did not file for the I-129F as I am following the guide that KayDeeCee posted! Getting that list done is my main priority at the moment! A question though, as a student I dont make enough to sponser on my own. Should I file two of the affidavit of sponsership with my cosponser or file the form that puts us both down as we are living in the same household? (Sorry I forgot the form names i'm currently not at home!)

Timeline

If you have a qualifying household member, then they can file an I-864A to go along with your I-864. Your incomes will be combined to meet the income requirements. They can also fill out an I-864 as a joint sponsor. It will depend on which way you want to go.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Timeline

If they have a spouse and file joint taxes, then I suggest they fill out the I-864 as a joint sponsor and have their spouse fill out an I-864A to go along with their I-864. Their incomes combined will act as joint sponsorship. They will need enough combined income for their own household size plus the immigrant.

If they are single and qualify to fill out an I-864A as a parent, child or sibling of yours, then have them do that. They will be counted in your household size on your I-864 and your combined incomes must meet the requirement for that total household size. If you have no other dependents, then that would be a household of 3: you, the immigrant and the household member filling out an I-864A.

Timeline

I have a few more questions! Which may be silly I just want to be sure I'm filling the forms out correctly. On the g-1145 form for e- Notification, where it says for me to sign my full last name they would want my now married name correct? I'm having that same issue on the I-130 where it is part B about myself, it asks for your family name in capitol letters. There do they want my original last name or the new one, because down in that same section it asks for other names used including maiden name.

Another few questions I have is about the adress section of the I-130 and the Medical form. On section C, the part about the immigrant it wants an adress. Do they want where he is living here or his adress back home? Along with that I am having another issue! He is from Northern Ireland, which is still part of the UK and is considered seperate from actual Ireland. He has an Irish passort, so im slightly confused for as what to put for the country on most of these forms!

Any ideas, help, advice is more than welcome. I feel a bit overwealmed trying to get this all done by myself! :crying:

Timeline

If you are going to change your name when you marry, then use your married name on the forms. Put your maiden name where it asks for other names used. The copy of your marriage certificate will act as your legal name change document, and you can use it to change the name on your various types of accounts, SS card, IDs, etc. You do not have to change all those before using the name on your immigration forms.

Use his current address, where you live together in the US. Where it asks for his address on the G-325A forms, then list his US address first as current, and it will also ask for last address he had abroad.

I would think listing Northern Ireland should work, since that is the country within the UK. That is what this person did > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/368319-united-kingdom-or-northern-ireland/?p=5380053

Timeline

Another Question! on the I-130 there are multiple parts which ask for the adress which we now live. Should I put since the day he arrived for this last visit? or should I put the day we get married. I don't want it to come off like it was planned, since it wasn't but the place we are currently living is the place where he normally stays.

I've also finally moved on to the I-485, and I'm not sure which application type I should choose in Part 2 considering my situation!

Edited by Kaylynnklein

Timeline

If it wants a date as to when he started living at that address, then I would put the date he arrived and began staying there.

You would select a. for Part 2 of the I-485.

An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number
that has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special
immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this
application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.
)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.