MontyFlo

Visa in Hand; but with a misspelled...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!! :)

My visa has been approved!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!!!! :D And I picked it up yesterday night at the Loomis branch of Quebec City. Of course, everything went too smooth since the beginning so the end was a little bit less happy since when I checked the visa yesterday, I noticed that the Consulate of Montreal made a misspelled in the family name of my Fiancée (she is the US petitioner)... So I double checked what we wrote in our I-129F and DS-160 forms when I got home to make sure it was not a misspelled we made at first but no; we did it good so the error only comes from the Consulate.

So I already sent them an email to ask them what to do; but with the day off on Monday I do not expect an answer before Wednesday at least...

So I wanted to know if anybody else went through this kind of unlucky experience and knows what I should be expecting next?

Thank you a lot!! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

weekends tend to be very slow here on the Cdn page...do a search at the top right...misspelled name on visa.....and you will see it has happened to others. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

weekends tend to be very slow here on the Cdn page...do a search at the top right...misspelled name on visa.....and you will see it has happened to others. Best of luck

Thank you!! :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi everyone!! :)

My visa has been approved!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!!!! :D And I pick

ed it up yesterday night at the Loomis branch of Quebec City. Of course, everything went too smooth since the beginning so the end was a little bit less happy since when I checked the visa yesterday, I noticed that the Consulate of Montreal made a misspelled in the family name of my Fiancée (she is the US petitioner)... So I double checked what we wrote in our I-129F and DS-160 forms when I got home to make sure it was not a misspelled we made at first but no; we did it good so the error only comes from the Consulate.

So I already sent them an email to ask them what to do; but with the day off on Monday I do not expect an answer before Wednesday at least...

So I wanted to know if anybody else went through this kind of unlucky experience and knows what I should be expecting next?

Thank you a lot!! :)

You are refering to the name it shows on the annotation part of the visa, right? Most likely it is not an issue if the biographical information about you is correct and it is just your fiances name on the annotation part of the visa. Once the embassy opens on Tuesday and you are able to contact them they should be able to clear it up for you if is is okay to travel like that or you need to return so that they can get it fix. I read from other vjrs posts that they did not have issues if it was an error on the annotation part and they traveled. My daughter had an annotation error on her visa and her mothers name was misspelled and it was okay. We even asked the IO at POE and he said not to worry as long as her biographical information (her name, last name, dob) was correct. You can do a search on anmotation errors on visas. If you want to be certain just wait to contact the Embassy for guidance. Good luck to you! Edited by cocolucho

*The material presented is intended for general information only and does not constitute legal advice*

USCIS - IR1/CR1 Wife/IR2 Daughter - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

12/03/2013 -- I-130s Sent, 12/06/2013 -- I-130s Received                                           12/13/2013 -- I-129F Sent, 12/16/2013 -- I-129F Received           

12/10/2013 -- I-130s NOA1 Hard copies received from VSC                                         12/20/2013 -- I-129F NOA1 Hard copy from VSC           

06/05/2014 -- I-130s Alien Registration Numbers Changed                                           02/12/2014 -- I-129F Transferred from VSC to TSC hard copy                                       

06/09/2014 -- I-130s RFE Emails, 06/12/2014 -- I-130s RFE Hard copies received       02/25/2014 -- I-129F Alien Registration Number Changed

06/16/2014 -- I-130s RFE Response received                                                              07/11/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 email (207 days)

09/25/2014 -- I-130 NOA2 Emails 290 days                                                                 07/16/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 Hard copy received and sent to NVC        

NVC - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

07-29-2014 -- NVC received I129F                                                                           

07-31-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

08-01-2014 -- Left NVC in route to Embassy in Lima

Embassy - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

08-07-2014 -- Embassy in Lima received case from NVC                                        

08-07-2014 -- Received email interview letter and packet IV

08-18-2014 -- Completed DS-160 online                                                                 

08-21-2014 -- Medical & Vaccination completed

09-03-2014 -- Interview (Approved)                                                                        

09-05-2014 -- Visa Issued (CEAC website)

09-10-2014 -- Visa in hand                                                                                      

09-18-2014 -- Dulles VA

USCIS - AOS Wife/Daughter

12/10/2014 -- I-485 Sent - including I-765                                                            

12/11/2014 -- I-485 Received

12/16/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Received email                                             

12/20/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Hard copies received

01/09/2015 -- I-485 and I-765 Biometrics appointment                                       

01/14/2015 -- I-485 Ready for interview

02/02/2015 -- I-485 Interview notification received                                             

02/14/2015 -- I-765 Approved - EAD card production email and text

02/24/2015 -- I-765 EAD card received                                                              

03/12/2015 -- I-485 Interview Date (APPROVED)

03/17/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Welcome letters received                                               

03/21/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Green Cards received :dance:

USCIS - ROC Wife/Daughter

01/12/2017 -- I-751 Sent

01/17/2017 -- I-751 NOA Received for wife and daughter

02/23/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Biometrics Appointment for wife and daughter

12/26/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Approved for wife and daughter

Timeline

You are refering to the name it shows on the annotation part of the visa, right? Most likely it is not an issue if the biographical information about you is correct and it is just your fiances name on the annotation part of the visa. Once the embassy opens on Tuesday and you are able to contact them they should be able to clear it up for you if is is okay to travel like that or you need to return so that they can get it fix. I read from other vjrs posts that they did not have issues if it was an error on the annotation part and they traveled. My daughter had an annotation error on her visa and her mothers name was misspelled and it was okay. We even asked the IO at POE and he said not to worry as long as her biographical information (her name, last name, dob) was correct. You can do a search on anmotation errors on visas. If you want to be certain just wait to contact the Embassy for guidance. Good luck to you!

Yeah it is exactly that it is a misspelled error in the annotation part of my visa :)

Thank you for your help really! :)

I anyway already contacted the consulate by email via their inquiry section part "errors on visa" and told them about my case so I should get an answer within a next week which is ok since I am not going to travel right away; but I just want to get this thing fixed as soon as possible to feel relieved with all of that, it has been a long journey as all of you know this procedure is ;)

Thank you again so much all for your help and information! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Be aware that Mtl can suck at communication.....hope they do respond ASAP

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I can't imagine it's too big of a deal because it's not YOUR name that is misspelled but the US petitioner's name. You could also contact the CBP where you will POE to ask if this will be an issue. CBP are generally clueless about immigration, but they may be able to correct the name when they send in the packet at POE.

Montreal typically takes 2 weeks to reply to anything.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.