bmeghan

London Medical- Drug Testing

38 posts in this topic

No need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch haha. I'll restate that and say ALMOST everyone (never said everyone) besides the group of amazing teenagers who have never done drugs or gotten into trouble. I don't really think it's fair to place judgement as if the ones who have are "bad seeds" but I can say that everyone I know, of all ages and backgrounds, friends, family, even teachers, doctors, nurses, cops, (among many other respectable jobs) have atleast smoked pot. The most intellegent people I have come across have popped adderall to stay up to study for tests. Is it right? No. But I don't think someone is considered not "amazing" if they have done something once in their life. I guess I have just surrounded myself with all the wrong people tho. I understand the legal side of it all, however if someone currently isn't using, has no criminal history and can pass a drug test shouldnt get dismissed if they admit that they EVER did something. Although saying this will probably piss people off, I don't see why trying something like marijuana as a teenager places a stigma on them in some eyes, yet drinking alcohol, something that makes people do TERRIBLE things that I've never seen a little pot do to someone is ok bc it's legal. And as far as the places it is legal, are the people who use it there doing something wrong in your eyes? Everyone will have their own opinions. I'm gonna stay confident that it wouldn't affect things for most people as long as they are honest and aren't currently using when it comes to immigration. In fact my gf works at an upscal restaurant owned by an entire family of immigrants who left Thailand bc of the crystal meth epidemic over there that's pushed upon everyone by employers to get them to be awake and work longer hours, wanting to get themselves away from it after being talked into it themselves at times. The idea of "ever" just seems a little ridiculous to me. I guess this is a very confrontational issue, and I would like to not feel judged for what I believe, have done 20 years ago, or for the people I know so I will keep my mouth shut now.

Panties are firmly in place. Promise. :) I actually come from a family that is well experienced in the perils of both drug and alcohol abuse, so I have an unequivocal no-tolerance policy to drugs of any illegal kind unless it is for legal and legit medicinal purpose. That being said, I'm rather tired of what I feel is often an unending excuse that in order to experience being a teenager one must experiment with drugs, alcohol, peer pressure etc. That doesn't mean I don't have empathy for those that do or that I am judgemental for someone's past mistakes (perceived or not). We all have our choices to make and lives to live and that's fine.

For those who do so legally in certain states and how I view it? For me it depends on the use. Medical or religious purpose I've no issue. Just for the heck of it? Sorry. That may not be the answer you want to hear.

But the government doesn't care or have empathy about any of that. So in terms of answering the form, if one answers that they have indeed tried some sort of illegal substance no matter how far back in the past it may have been, you're certainly opening a can of worms that is detrimental to the entire process. That to me, however, is no excuse to be dishonest.. and there has been many well meaning honest persons that have admitted using/briefly trying so far back in their youth they can barely recall the date. And yet, again there is no fair treatment here under federal law, I'm afraid. Which was my larger point. It penalizes both the dishonest current users and the honest former brief users without any distinction. Therefore it is all how one decides to interpret the question. In a way it encourages being dishonest to protect oneself.

And as far as states that allow it for medical purposes, your issue can be as small as something like anxiety or chronic headaches. In California you can get it for almost anything. Are they never allowed to immigrate anywhere?

Because smoking pot is not legal federally, the answer is a moot point. Trying to enter this country by immigrating is under federal domain. It would be no different if you legally smoked pot in Colorado and then wanted to immigrate to a country where it was not legal to do so and had to admit yes to such a question on the form. Until such a question is answered at a federal level this policy won't change. It may very well be eventually. As Nich-Nick has stated it may not earn you a denial, but it can certainly delay it (some consulates might deny it I suppose) - it all depends on the circumstances.

Chas in terms of same sex marriage I'm very hopeful and happy at the prospect of the Supreme Court finally answering this well-overdue question once and for all. Equality under the Constitution is a no-brainer to me. :)

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

High Profits CNN on now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

FYI- the topic of any substance abuse as far as the medical exam falls under the category of Physical or Mental Disorders with Associated Harmful Behaviors and Substance-related Disorders

It deals with mental illness, depression, alcohol, drugs, addictions, etc, etc.

People interviewing in London that have told their stories right here in this UK forum that have been scrutinized under the mental health topic include---

Depressed, took medication

Cut her wrists. Had scars.

Went to the interview after smoking a joint in the hotel the night before. They smelled it on him.

Scars down his forearms.

Bragged he typically drinks 10 pints on a night out. Not a good outcome.

Said they typically drink two bottles of wine (shared with dinner partner) every weekend

Medication and hospitalized for psychiatric care. Saw a therapist for a couple of years.

Asked him last time used marijuana, "Two days ago."

Said they tried it on their birthday five years ago.

Lots of stories have been told. These are few that come to mind.

Read the Mental Health/Substance Abuse technical instructions Knightsbridge is to follow http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/mental-panel-technical-instructions.html#classifications

This is the medical component, not how many ounces, age, how many citations, etc the immigration law allows or disallows.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know that noone knows for sure and that there's no way of telling how things may go but after reading that what I got out if it is that if someone has had a drug problem, they must have seeked rehabilitation and have been clean for over a year with no convictions or drug police reports it isn't automatically dismissible. I just don't get how they could give that opportunity in that situation but not someone who smoked pot one time years ago. I know every case and situation is different, I just didn't want to feel like it's automatically off the table if there's any history of it at all. I am sorry if I came off defensive, being a same sex couple I already have fears of judgement during the process. I get so many different sorts of responses on here, some that totally shatter my hope and others who were in the same situations and say that their entire process was a breeze. I guess each case/scenerio is different. Depends on the people you deal with and the moods they are in that day. I didn't mean to sound bitchy, just trying to find some hope.

Timeline

There are two issues at stake, the medical one and the criminal one.

Most of the comments above address the criminal aspect, Immigration is allowed to use the reason to believe standard so somebody admitting driug issues could be hit with a ban even if no criminal conviction.

The medical side equally applies to say alcohol, so when they ask you your consumption something like Moderate and Social would be appropriate answers. Unless you are tee total of course.

If you have major issues such as say multiple DUI's or a history of drug abuse then that may also be a reason separate from the legal aspect to deny.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know that noone knows for sure and that there's no way of telling how things may go but after reading that what I got out if it is that if someone has had a drug problem, they must have seeked rehabilitation and have been clean for over a year with no convictions or drug police reports it isn't automatically dismissible. I just don't get how they could give that opportunity in that situation but not someone who smoked pot one time years ago. I know every case and situation is different, I just didn't want to feel like it's automatically off the table if there's any history of it at all. I am sorry if I came off defensive, being a same sex couple I already have fears of judgement during the process. I get so many different sorts of responses on here, some that totally shatter my hope and others who were in the same situations and say that their entire process was a breeze. I guess each case/scenerio is different. Depends on the people you deal with and the moods they are in that day. I didn't mean to sound bitchy, just trying to find some hope.

Are you ladies going to the medical in London or Canada? No timeline or consulate listed. The discussion of what typically happens at Knightsbridge clinic London could be way off base from what convinces a panel physician in Canada that you are not an addict or substance abuser.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

My impression is that both Canada and the UK are relatively easy, now a few others are different...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes she would be coming over from Canada. I originally posted in this thread not realizing everywhere may be different. I didn't even know if it was the specific country you're trying to leave or the us that does the exams, in which case obviously if it was the us all requirements would be the same. I'm very new to this, I just recently really started researching which is when I joined these boards bc i was just convinced it wouldn't ever happen and was looking for reassurance. I posted it somewhere but idk if anyone noticed but we are only 45 minutes from one another (buffalo ny to hamilton on) so it was beginning to discourage me that a relationship that is currently so easy as far as seeing one another could take such a horribly wrong turn. I understand completely why they wouldn't want certain people in, and I know there's no excuse in their eyes as to why someone may of had a substance abuse problem, but it just saddened me bc she has tried so hard to get to where she is today and only ever did anything trying to block out EXTREME trauma (and obviously got to the point it was out of her hands which is when she seeked help) so I guess that's where I got a bit defensive in areas where I felt people may be being a bit judgemental of people's choices and what type of people would make them. It also upsets me that 2 people who are madly in love and spend half of their weeks together already for 4 years may get denied yet my cousin down south has now married 2 Brazilians who were down there illegally working and no problem with either, neither coming from a very good back ground on top of it all. I guess thats just life and the luck of the draw sometimes =/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.