dsldesch

Joint sponsor questions, I-134 and I-864

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone!

This year is off to a great start--we're almost finished with our paperwork AND after our primary sponsor became unemployed in September, we're finally just a few short questions away from securing a sponsor to take her place. However, my aunt, who's stepping up, has a few questions, as do I, about the sponsorship forms.

1. To Do or To Do Not

On the I-134, #11 asks if the sponsor does or does not intend to provide specific contributions for the intending immigrant. Our joint sponsor does not intent to provide room and board (that's what I'm here for), so on my copy I would select "do" and on hers, she would select "do not." Is this correct?

i-134-question-2.jpg

2. Blank Spaces

Still on the I-134. In the oath section, there's a blank line following the first sentence, beginning "I acknowledge..." but it doesn't specify what's suppose to go there. Do we initial it, check it, sign it, date it, or leave it blank...?

i-134-question.jpg

3. Source of Income

My aunt's income is from social security and retirement/survivor's benefits from her late husband. Is this valid for sponsorship, and assuming it is, how do we state this on the I-134 and I-864? Obtaining supporting evidence for her income won't be a problem, but both forms seem to want employer information which she doesn't have.

4. Making Up the Difference

My aunt's income is just below the 125% povery guidelines threshold, but we're nearly certain she has assets to make up the difference. However, I'm slightly confused if she needs three or five times the difference; since she is a joint sponsor and not sponsoring her own spouse, it's five times, correct?

i-864-question.jpg

5. Moral Reputation

My aunt is concerned that if my fiance is arrested, it will hurt her financially and tarnish her good name. Is there anything in this regard that she should know, or anything I can say to reassure her this won't be a problem? I have no reason to suspect my fiance would ever be arrested, but she's still concerned.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1. You would both follow the example form here on VJ, though you can also check 'intend' but still put 'K1 VISA PROCESS FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE' on the line. > http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

2. If you mouse over the data box there, it tells you what that is about and to put the sponsor's full name. See this post and image of the popup info box that appears there > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/518969-i-134-is-a-confusing-form-help/?p=7296537

3. She needs to provide proof of her income, with 1099s, benefits letters, bank statements, or whatever other documentation she has to prove how much she actually receives per month/year.

4. Assets for the co-sponsor need to be at least 5 times the amount they are short on income.

5. The I-134 is not even legally binding, and even if she is also your joint sponsor when it comes time for you to file for AOS, the legally binding I-864 will have nothing to do with 'moral reputation'. The I-864 is about sponsoring the immigrant so they will not become a public charge once in the US. If the immigrant was to receive public assistance, then the government could go after the USC petitioner/sponsor to pay it back. If they didn't, then it would be possible for the government to then go after the joint sponsor to repay it. I have not heard of a joint sponsor being sued by the government, if that puts your joint sponsor at ease any.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are a godsend, KayDeeCee. Thank you so much, once again, for your incredibly helpful and clear response. I truly cannot express my gratitude enough.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.