CF41051

Timing of Filing and Name Change

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance was recently approved for her k1 visa and will be in the USA in a couple weeks and we're getting married at the end of January. I was wondering, what should be the timing of the SSN, AOS, and name change?

She will only be in the USA for a week before we get married so I will not be up against the 90 day clock or anything. I'm trying to figure out if I should get her name changed before applying for SSN and AOS, or if that might cause too many issues. Or, is it easier to not change her name until we get further down the process.....

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello, if I recall, The day after my wife's POE we tried to file for her SS but there was a 10 day wait period from her POE before we could file. The next day we were married and left for our honeymoon. When we got back we brought all the required documents with us and filed for her SS in her married name.

I've seen some say to file before married so it will not confuse the SS worker or whatever. For us I will say that there was no confusion or mess up and received her Ss card with no issues. Also I'm glad that we did file under her married name because we would just have to turn around and change the name on the card again. Then soon after we filed our AOS.

Hope this helps...best wishes to ya!

Edited by TR&ZY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

It is adviseable to apply for SS after 2 weeks upon arrival in USA. I applied for SSN before getting married. It's a good thing I did that because an employee from SS said that if I applied for SSN after I got married from a K1 visa, they wont be able to process my SSN unless I have my GC. This is in FL. Im not sure about the rule in different states.

In your case, you may want to apply for your fiance's SSN before getting married and see if it's possible even if she's only here for a week. If not, she can apply for SSN after you got married when she received her EAD/GC.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance was recently approved for her k1 visa and will be in the USA in a couple weeks and we're getting married at the end of January. I was wondering, what should be the timing of the SSN, AOS, and name change?

She will only be in the USA for a week before we get married so I will not be up against the 90 day clock or anything. I'm trying to figure out if I should get her name changed before applying for SSN and AOS, or if that might cause too many issues. Or, is it easier to not change her name until we get further down the process.....

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Because the I-94 is now electronic, you only need to wait a few days to apply for SSN. I would give it two or three business days at least.

When you apply for the SSN, apply in the name that is on the I-94, not the married name. SSA has to verify the information on the application (SS-5) with Homeland Security and a name change via marriage will NOT be in the system so SSA will deny the application.

Then when you file for AOS, file in married name. Once EAD/AP is received (assuming you file for that) in 60-90 days from AOS filing, you can go back to SSA and change name to married name, using EAD/AP card, original passport and marriage certificate. If not filing for EAD/AP then need to wait for I-485 to be approved.

Good luck!

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.