54 members have voted

1. 1. Read post below and vote:

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends (explain)

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Having just discovered that there is a possible genetic link to colon cancer in my family, I absolutely would want to be tested to see if I carry the gene. Not only do I now need to ensure that I am tested, but also that my children are also tested.

The purpose is not always to know that you are going to die from something, but to know that you can be treated PRIOR to being told you are terminal.

If my children carry this gene that predisposes them to colon cancer then I want them to have the test so that they can ensure colonoscopies are carried out as regularly as required and colon polyps removed before they turn malignant.

Absolutely, knowledge is power.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

In my case, if I have it, there is nothing any doctor can do to prevent development of the disease or even to treat it when it develops.

In my situation, would you get the test? The one thing I could do is get scanned for AVMs in the lungs and brain which are a result of this disorder.

Timeline
In my case, if I have it, there is nothing any doctor can do to prevent development of the disease or even to treat it when it develops.

In my situation, would you get the test? The one thing I could do is get scanned for AVMs in the lungs and brain which are a result of this disorder.

There are forms of treatment for AVM's themselves, once they are diagnosed.

Are we by any chance talking about HHT? If we are, then I would want to be tested, but that is just the kind of person I am. However, I would suggest anyone that has a possible genetic link to HHT should get genetic counseling.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Before I left the UK I actually worked in Genetics. This is an extremely in depth subject. Most patients who could potentially have an affected gene are normally counselled for months before they even undertake the test.

Me personally? Yes, I would be tested. If you know that you may have a disease and then say to yourself "what I don't know can't hurt" then you are kidding yourself. Every niggle, every ache, every stomach upset, every headache etc etc will have you thinking "this is it".

Huntingdons is a nasty disease. There is alot of talk amongst potential patients about whether or not they wish to get tested. Alex, you may find the following link interesting.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/huntington/huntington.htm

But rest assured, those who choose NOT get tested live in fear that they WILL develop it. If you know, then you can prepare. If you don't, you are simply in denial and will spend every year up to the age of 40 scared. Is it worth it? What if you are clear? You will then have spent those years worrying for nothing IMO.

What if you also consider that if you come out positive you may have a terrible time getting insurance, life insurance, certain other opportunities, etc. for the rest of your life?

Like for example, what kind of disease we are talking about?

If I don't know about it then I wouldn't have to mention it and there will be no prob on getting the insurance coverage, unless they test me. Plus no stress. The only problem I have would be at the time of having kids if it might affect them. Then I would be worried...

Yeah, if they have genetic testing then they can test a fetus though, right? Depends on what you would do if you found out the fetus did carry the gene though.

If the genetic test is available they can take a Chorionic Villus sampling at 11-13 weeks. This can be used to test the fetus for abnormalities.

Timeline

Are we by any chance talking about HHT? If we are, then I would want to be tested, but that is just the kind of person I am. However, I would suggest anyone that has a possible genetic link to HHT should get genetic counseling.

Yes it is HHT and my dad suffers from it and probably my brother does too.

Timeline

Yes it is HHT and my dad suffers from it and probably my brother does too.

In that case I would take what Mags has said above as excellent advice. I would also want to know so that I could get AVM's in certain areas treated so they don't bleed. I am not an expert, by any means, but there are a certain amount of precautions you could take.

I am sure you are very frightened, but you will have seen how your Dad has coped with the problem for years, so you will have some idea of the kind of life you will have and how you would need to manage it, if indeed you have it. But, like Mags says, if you are tested and the test comes back negative for HHT, it would mean that you need never worry about it again. Have you spoken to your Dad about your concerns? Perhaps he could give you some guidance on whether or not to be tested. There may have been instances where he is glad that he knew, even where knowing what the problem is has saved his life.

Not an easy situation, or decision, for you. But I truly hope that whichever one you make it is the right one for you.

Personally I would. Even if it is a disease I can't do much about I would want to know for family planning. If my kids may suffer through what I would have to go through, then I would seriously consider just adopting. Between my fiance and myself 3 of our parents are adopted, so I definitly want us to get tested for common diseases when we start thinking about a family (ie HH, cyctic fibrosis etc)

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

When you say "carrying" do you mean "being a carrier of"? Because that's how I read it. In which case I wouldn't get tested unless I was going to have children. Like being a carrier of hemophilia or Tay-Sachs disease, where the carriers never develop it but can pass it on to their children.

Based on your later comments, though, it seems like you mean "there is a 50% chance you will develop a condition" which is an entirely different question.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Timeline
When you say "carrying" do you mean "being a carrier of"? Because that's how I read it. In which case I wouldn't get tested unless I was going to have children. Like being a carrier of hemophilia or Tay-Sachs disease, where the carriers never develop it but can pass it on to their children.

Based on your later comments, though, it seems like you mean "there is a 50% chance you will develop a condition" which is an entirely different question.

Yeah, that there is a 50% of having the condition at all. You can't just carry HHT because it's dominant. But you can have HHT without knowing it. Some people bleed all the time from their nose, fingers, lips, mouth and hands (like my dad) but some people just bleed inside their lungs or brain once and die...

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Yes

Why? My parents first child was severely disabled. They went through genetic testing afterwards to make sure that his disabilities were not related to their genetic compatability. Luckily, it wasn't the case, but they just did not have great luck having children. I probably would not get genetic testing -in advance- of a problem, but if there was some sort of problem detected with the first child, I would seriously consider it.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Morbid curiosity would compel me to...IF I had the money...ya know? :)

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

3/3/08 - Check cashed for ROC at CSC...

Feb 2009 - Called USCIS to see what the heck was goin' on...

FEB 20th 2009 - Received email - GC on the way!

I am APPROVED for the 10 year PR Card!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

Timeline

Rey suggested that I get tested next time we're in Brazil, so that should solve the problem. I think I'd like to know.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
What if you also consider that if you come out positive you may have a terrible time getting insurance, life insurance, certain other opportunities, etc. for the rest of your life?

Why not buy whole life insurance now while you're still young (it'll also be a LOT cheaper), then get tested?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'd want to know. There are so many children who need good homes, if I had a good chance of passing something bad onto my child, I'd gladly adopt.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

01-04-2008 - I-129F Sent

01-09-2008 - I-129F NOA1

03-05-2008 - I-129F NOA2

04-08-2008 - Medical Exam

04-17-2008 - Interview!!!

04-22-2008 - VISA IN HAND!

05-02-2008 - U.S. Entrance

06-14-2008 - MARRIAGE!

Phase 2....

06-19-2008 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06-26-2008 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

07-19-2008 - Biometrics

07-22-2008 - Transferred to CSC!

07-28-2008 - Email from CRIS confirming CSC received case

08-25-2008 - Received AP in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

08-29-2008 - Received EAD card in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

09-22-2008 - Received Email from CRIS for I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!"

09-27-2008 - Received Green Card in the mail!

Phase 3....

06-29-2010 - Sent I-751 and package to Remove Conditions

07-06-2010 - NOA1

08-24-2010 - Biometrics