mitchanme

Error when trying to renew DL with my EAD card

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, my drivers license expires in a few days, the nice lady at the courthouse says she gets an error message when trying to renew it, as does her supervisor. They say it has to be sent to Buffalo for confirmation that I am legal. Has anyone else had this? They can't tell me how long it will take. I'm considering going back to Canada and getting another license there and then going through the process again. I've had the 6 month delay/possible waiver letter so no green card in the near future. I have grandchildren in Canada that I have to see every few months so I can't wait 6 months. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You already have your advance parole??? Otherwise do not leave the country.... !!!!

That happened to me in Texas, while I was waiting for my green card... they will contact USCIS to check your status (the same happened with my social security number) and in 10 to 15 days they answered... in my case I had it for the time my EAD was valid and then it expired... had to wait for my green card to renew it....

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

It's probably not legal for you to obtain a Canadian licence when you aren't resident there.

And as stated, if you depart the US without AP then your AoS is automatically deemed to be abandoned.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Yes, I have my advance parole, what I'm worried about is if this nonsense takes longer than the 60 days I'm allowed to use an expired license here then I have nothing at all! The EAD/AP card should have been enough to renew. I don't know if this is a glitch with DMV or with immigration. The greencard could be a long time coming. I turn into a pumpkin on the 23rd....

It's possible that there's an error with your entry in the SAVE database, which is the database consulted whenever a non-US citizen tries to obtain some kind of benefit (driving licence, social security card, etc.). Your name may be entered into SAVE incorrectly, or there is some other issue. Or it could be completely unrelated. Without knowing the exact error then it's impossible to tell.

From looking at http://www.uscis.gov/save/save-case-check it seems there is some kind of pilot program for getting SAVE database errors corrected, but they require the relevant agency (in this case your state's DMV) to be participants in this pilot program. Maybe it's worth asking if they are, and they should then be able to give you your 15-digit verification case number. You could then make an Infopass appointment, show USCIS that case number, and they could correct whatever was wrong in SAVE. That's a lot of "if's" though.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Thanks, yup, there's a lot of ifs. Turns out on further investigation that a temporary foreign national isn't eligible for the 60 day grace period on renewing. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm heading back to Canada for Christmas. I checked and my license up there is still valid (the state people here took it and I assumed it was cancelled, I just need to make the trip and show stuff with my old address on- thank heavens I kept my house and mailbox.

I think you're on to something with the error on my info as they had an issue with my SSN as someone had run my first and middle name together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.