emmaface

AOS/IV Package - Order of Documents

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm preparing all the documents for the AOS/IV package, I haven't received the IV invoice yet but the AOS invoice included one document cover sheet that lists everything for both. They list everything in a certain order, but then the last two items on the list are:

• Translations
  • Photocopies

I have two documents with translations, my husband's birth certificate and divorce certificate. Does this mean the Spanish documents go in order in the packet, then the translations are separated and placed at the end?

More confusing, though, is the photocopies line. Now that NVC accepts copies of everything, my entire packet is photocopies! What am I supposed to place here? Just check the box for "Enclosed" and assume it just indicates that there are photocopies somewhere in the packet?

Another question I can't find an answer for: Can I send new prints of the same photos I sent with the I-130, or do they want two NEW passport size photos?

One more question: Should I wait until I pay the IV fee to send this package, or can I send it now that everything goes together?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Answers in bold and red:

I'm preparing all the documents for the AOS/IV package, I haven't received the IV invoice yet but the AOS invoice included one document cover sheet that lists everything for both. They list everything in a certain order, but then the last two items on the list are:

• Translations
  • Photocopies

I have two documents with translations, my husband's birth certificate and divorce certificate. Does this mean the Spanish documents go in order in the packet, then the translations are separated and placed at the end? Document translation requirements are actually Embassy/Consulate specific. If the Consulate in Juarez does not require translations, then you don't need to include them.

More confusing, though, is the photocopies line. Now that NVC accepts copies of everything, my entire packet is photocopies! What am I supposed to place here? Just check the box for "Enclosed" and assume it just indicates that there are photocopies somewhere in the packet? Yes

Another question I can't find an answer for: Can I send new prints of the same photos I sent with the I-130, or do they want two NEW passport size photos? Strictly speaking, they probably want new photos. However, if the appearance has not fundamentally changed, then you can probably reuse the same photo. I didn't have any issues using the same picture but that doesn't mean others won't.

One more question: Should I wait until I pay the IV fee to send this package, or can I send it now that everything goes together? Personally, I would wait until both fees showed paid before sending off the complete package. Others may have a different viewpoint.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Answers in bold and red:

totally agree with all answers of Ryan H, i will just add from my experience at CDJ, i added all translations with my documents just in case so not to cause any unforseen delays and as far as the passport pictures go, the rule there is if they are more than 6 months old then get new ones. it can be a hassle but delays are such a pain too, so i would just get new ones if i were you. Also, I would also wait to send the package until you have paid all of the fees first. good luck!

Timeline

Answers in bold and red:

Thank you very much! I'll probably go ahead and take new photos.

When did you pay your AOS fee? I paid mine on 11/25 and as of today, I still can't pay the IV fee!!!

I tried to pay it on Monday 12-8... today I just checked and it says it was rejected on 12-9. I called my bank, and my bank never received any attempts for transfer, and I have had more than enough cash in my account since Monday.... I'm trying to call NVC now to see if I somehow made a typo in my account number or if their system has some kind of glitch...

totally agree with all answers of Ryan H, i will just add from my experience at CDJ, i added all translations with my documents just in case so not to cause any unforseen delays and as far as the passport pictures go, the rule there is if they are more than 6 months old then get new ones. it can be a hassle but delays are such a pain too, so i would just get new ones if i were you. Also, I would also wait to send the package until you have paid all of the fees first. good luck!

Yeah, I'll go ahead and take new photos, they were taken in March. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.