Sammy1980

Me and wife planning on going to vacation to Germany while I-751 form is processing

8 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi all,

I'm a US citizen and my wife (who is from India) has been here for nearly 2 years as a conditional permanent resident. We both are getting ready to file the I-751 form to remove the conditions on her permanent residence sometime next month. Her conditional permanent resident card will expire in May. We both want to go to Germany to visit some of my own relatives that are there and of course see Europe. Me being a US citizen, I can go to Germany without any visa requirements, however, for my wife I have to get her a tourist visa to Germany, which we can get sponsorship for from my relatives in Germany. We are thinking about going to Germany in end of April/early May and coming back right before her conditional permanent resident card expires and after applying for the I-751 and starting that whole process. Will it be an issue for her to go overseas and can that affect her getting her final 10 year green card after the I-751 processes?

Any help on this will be appreciated - just trying to decide whether if its worth going on vacation to visit relatives in Germany at this time or not or should I wait out till she gets her 10-year green card and then plan my vacation (which could be more than a year from now).

Why do you think you need to file for a travel visa for your wife?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Hi there

Maybe you can travel before you file the petition...

one thing I know...once you send in the petition...you'd better be home...

I filled my 751 a week ago, wich was like 1 month and 10 days before the expiration date...

and I already got one notice, and I'm waiting for more

Just remember that, things with the immigration are very tough...I mean, if you fail to do something

you can get the card denied very easily...

So this is my opinion, I think, this is the final step for me, as well as for your wife...So, I would

avoid anything that could jeppardize the process...

Unless you are sure you can come back to US in time to prepare and send out the 751,

I would suggest you stay here.

my two cents

Meredith

Hi all,

I'm a US citizen and my wife (who is from India) has been here for nearly 2 years as a conditional permanent resident. We both are getting ready to file the I-751 form to remove the conditions on her permanent residence sometime next month. Her conditional permanent resident card will expire in May. We both want to go to Germany to visit some of my own relatives that are there and of course see Europe. Me being a US citizen, I can go to Germany without any visa requirements, however, for my wife I have to get her a tourist visa to Germany, which we can get sponsorship for from my relatives in Germany. We are thinking about going to Germany in end of April/early May and coming back right before her conditional permanent resident card expires and after applying for the I-751 and starting that whole process. Will it be an issue for her to go overseas and can that affect her getting her final 10 year green card after the I-751 processes?

Any help on this will be appreciated - just trying to decide whether if its worth going on vacation to visit relatives in Germany at this time or not or should I wait out till she gets her 10-year green card and then plan my vacation (which could be more than a year from now).

Permanent resident with10 year greencard 

Timeline
Why do you think you need to file for a travel visa for your wife?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

I was told that for Germany, a US Citizen does not require a tourist visa, but an Indian citizen (my wife) with a conditional permanent resident requires a tourist visa. Unless I was told wrong?

Timeline
Hi there

I filled my 751 a week ago, wich was like 1 month and 10 days before the expiration date...

Just remember that, things with the immigration are very tough...I mean, if you fail to do something

So this is my opinion, I think, this is the final step for me, as well as for your wife...So, I would

Unless you are sure you can come back to US in time to prepare and send out the 751,

my two cents

Meredith

Hi all,

Meredith,

How long has your I-751 form taking to process? I'm about to go through this phase for my wife. We just want to get it over with - and get her green card. We were planning on buying our first house but now we are waiting until we get her new 10 year green card. Sure is a lot of hassle to deal with all this especially when you have to put other things on hold.

Whoops.... yes, she will need a visa. I wasn't considering citizenship.... sorry.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/en/Wi...sumpflicht.html

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Hi there

my two cents

Meredith

I've said this in another thread. You are perfectly fine to travel out of the country after filing your I-751. My husband's 2-year green card was to expire while he was away in the UK, we got an InfoPass appointment, he got the I-551 stamp and he's leaving for his 3rd overseas trip since then. You have every right to travel just as if you had your 10-year green card. In his first re-entry to the US, nothing was said to my husband by the Immigration officer about his pending application. The second time, the officer commented on how long it's taking for the I-751s to be processed and how he empathized. There was never any words about how he shouldn't travel because it wouldn't look good. I can't see any way that travelling overseas would jeopardize your application. If they ask why you left the country, tell them.

I understand this process is scary and could affect your life, but there is no reason to delay your vacation or not work out of fear of retribution.

If you are afraid of an NOA coming in the mail, can't you appoint a family member or a friend to check your mailbox, and if anything comes from USCIS, open it. If it's an appointment for biometrics letter, have them check the box for a future appointment. My husband did this 3 times before there was an appointment when he would be home.

This has been our personal experience, YMMV...

Edited by mdunlap24

Our K3 Timeline:

February 29, 2004 - married in Las Vegas

March 6, 2004 - Mike returns to Auckland to await K3 process.

March 26, 2004 - Melissa files I-130 with Vermont.

March 29, 2004 - Received NOA1 from Vermont for I-130.

April 10, 2004 - Mailed in I-129F to Chicago for K-3.

April 19, 2004 - NOA1 received from Missouri

July 13, 2004 - I-130 NOA2 Approval from Vermont

July 22, 2004 - NVC Receives Case & Assigns

July 25, 2004 - NVC Sends Affidavit of Support Fee Bill & DS 3032

July 30, 2004 - Melissa receives and pays Affidavit of Support Fee Bill and scans and emails DS 3032 to Mike for signature.

August 9, 2004 - NVC prints Visa Fee Bill (isn't that redundant??)

August 20, 2004 Melissa Receives and pays Visa Fee Bill

August 21, 2004 Melissa Receives Affidavit of Support Packet

August 30, 2004 Melissa Sends Affidavit of Support to NVC

September 7, 2004 Melissa sends DS-230

September 13, 2004 NVC Completes Case!!

September 21, 2004 NVC Sends Case to Auckland

September 27, 2004 Auckland Consulate receives case

September 29, 2004 Mike receives Packet 3

October 2, 2004 Mike sends Packet 3

October 1, 2004 Mike sends back "I'm ready" letter

October 4, 2004 Mike receives interview letter!!!! Interview October 13, 2004!!!!!!

October 13, 2004 Mike's Interview!!!

October 29, 2004 Mike arrives in Boston!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Sammy, Why are you waiting to buy house on account of the I-751? Once you file the paperwork, all you have to do is wait (besides a brief appointment for biometrics)? I agree with mdunlap, this shouldn't change how you live your life...

Good luck :thumbs:

2008 - Citizenship

May 9 - Naturalization Interview in San Francisco, CA...passed!

Jun 2 - Received notification of oath ceremony

Jun 24 - Oath in San Francisco, CA

2006/2007 - Removal of Conditions

Nov 3 - Send in I-751

Nov 6 - Received at CA Service Center (according to Return Receipt)

Nov 9 - Check cashed by USCIS

Nov 24 - Receive NOA1 - One-year extension of employment and travel (notice date: 11/17/06)

Nov 29 - Receive NOA2 - Biometrics (notice date: 11/21/06)

Dec 5 - Complete biometrics at Oakland USCIS

Jan 22 - Two-year GC expires with little fanfare

2004/2005 - AOS

May 21 - Mailed AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) to NYC district office

June 8 - Checks cashed

June 10 - NOA from NBC in Missouri for I-765 and I-131 (Receipt date: May 25; Notice date: June 7)

June 14 - NOA from NBC in Missouri for I-485

June 23 - Biometrics appointment in NYC

July 8 - USCIS website updated for biometrics of I-485.

July 21 - Received notice of interview for Adjustment of Status.

Aug 30 - AOS Approval. Yay! Receive I-551 stamp.

Jan '05 - Receive two-year Green Card with 1/22/07 expiration

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.