nb08

AOS questions about income/ co sponsor

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am filing the i-864 AOS for my husband, and I have a question about how much I should submit as far as tax transcripts. I am not claiming assets, and I don't want to have to get a co-sponsor if I don't need one. I have posted this question in the NVC thread, but still not sure about the responses i got.

My current income for this year 2014 is estimated $25,000. I have no other dependents my household size would only be 2, myself and my immigrant husband. My most recent tax return (2013) says income as $23,300. So my question is, is that sufficient enough for me to sponsor my husband as the poverty guidelines are stating for a household of 2 to be at $19,662. Am I cutting it close? Will I need a co-sponsor if I submit only my most recent tax transcript?

If submitting only one year will require me to have a co sponsor, then can I submit my other two tax years (2012 - $29,000) and (2011 - $15,156) and not have a joint sponsor? basically I am trying to avoid having to get a co-sponsor although its not that big of a deal I guess if I do have to get one. I have tax transcripts for all 3 most recent years. I guess my main question here is, is my current income and my past three years of income okay to support my husband?

This is a bit of a side note but goes all along with this topic, since I am filling this out in Dec. and the year is almost over, but I will have sent the AOS package in by the end of 2014. Will I or my husband at some point need to show the 2014 tax year transcript? I.E. interview, or possible checklist for my AOS?

Thank you to everyone who can help me out with some answers, and if anyone has a link that I can be redirected to and read then I would be glad to do so.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You meet the income requirement, so no need for a joint sponsor. You need to list the Total Income (line 22 of 1040) for the last 3 years where it asks on the I-864 form itself. Only the most recent tax transcript is required to be submitted, and not all 3. If your current annual income is $25k, then list that on the form where it asks for the current income and provide a letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs to prove that current income amount.

If the USC sponsor happens to file their 2014 taxes before you have your visa interview, then you could bring a copy of that return to your interview. 2014 tax returns will not actually become the most recent until after April 15th when they are due to be filed, but sometimes people are asked for them before April, especially if they have already been filed.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: India
Timeline

As you are cutting it close, i am not sure of the NVC / Consulate take on that....But based on the timeline of your case, you might have to show your 2014 tax transcript during the interview. It is better to be safe than sorry..

Good Luck.

Timeline

As you are cutting it close, i am not sure of the NVC / Consulate take on that....But based on the timeline of your case, you might have to show your 2014 tax transcript during the interview. It is better to be safe than sorry..

Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply, so I slept on it and decided I will claim assets which will be my checking account with about 18k+ in there & also a savings account but that account has my name as well as my mothers. Would this be an issue or not? And with that being said & everything previously stated about tax returns would I be okay and better off on support than If I just submit only tax returns? I realize that's a kind of specific question and it also depends on who handles my case but just trying to cover all bases. I don't want any delays and don't want to be asked for more support after I've already submitted my documents.

Edited by nb08

Timeline

You meet the income requirement, so no need for a joint sponsor. You need to list the Total Income (line 22 of 1040) for the last 3 years where it asks on the I-864 form itself. Only the most recent tax transcript is required to be submitted, and not all 3. If your current annual income is $25k, then list that on the form where it asks for the current income and provide a letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs to prove that current income amount.

If the USC sponsor happens to file their 2014 taxes before you have your visa interview, then you could bring a copy of that return to your interview. 2014 tax returns will not actually become the most recent until after April 15th when they are due to be filed, but sometimes people are asked for them before April, especially if they have already been filed.

Thank you for your advice. Just another quick addition to my already lengthy post to begin with stated in the above comment ^ about if I would be better off if I submited assets which would include my checking and savings accounts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There is no need to list the assets because you are above the income requirement with your current annual income by about $6k. You were also above the income requirement last year by about $4k, and that is reflected on your most recent tax return. Of course you can include assets if you wish, but they are optional and only really needed if you are below the income requirement or right on the borderline of it.

From the I-864 instructions, Page 7 >

Part 7. Use of Assets to Supplement Income.

Only complete this Part if you need to use the value of assets to meet the income requirements. If your Total Household
Income (indicated on Item Number 10. of Part 6.) is equal to or more than needed to meet the income requirement as
shown by the current Poverty Guidelines (Form I-864P) for your household size (indicated on Item Number 8. of Part 5.),
you do not need to complete this Part.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.