noodlesli

Interview in late Dec with more than 6 months out of the country, any one has same experience?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My citizenship interview will be in this Dec. And I just realized that I have been out of the country in 2012 for almost 8 months will be a big issue. Has any one have the similar situdation get approved? And what evidence I may bring to prove I didnt intend to end the citizenship?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What was the reason for your stay? Were you having any lease, bank account, jobs, activities that could show your ties here at that time?

What was the reason for your stay? Were you having any lease, bank account, jobs, activities that could show your ties here at that time?

I was taking care of my relative during the stay. I live with my relative and I was a student so no jobs or tax return. I have bank account but didnt use it while I was away. How do I provides those infos? Like tell them I have a bank account?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Showing a bank account is not enough, especially when you were not using it at all. I don't have enough knowledge to tell you how to deal with this.

I was taking care of my relative during the stay. I live with my relative and I was a student so no jobs or tax return. I have bank account but didnt use it while I was away. How do I provides those infos? Like tell them I have a bank account?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you can show that you left the country with every intention I return then you shouldn't have a problem. If you have any evidence that you were taking care of a sick relative then take that to your interview. For example hospital bills or doctors notes.

If they decide that you were outside the U.S. for too long, then you should be able to apply 4 years + 1 day after you returned (or 2 years + 1 day after returning based on marriage).

I do not think that they will deny your application for an 8 month stay abroad. There are lots and lots of posts on here about people who had similar trips and were approved. They may, however, delay your approval while they ask for more information.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

If you can show that you left the country with every intention I return then you shouldn't have a problem. If you have any evidence that you were taking care of a sick relative then take that to your interview. For example hospital bills or doctors notes.

If they decide that you were outside the U.S. for too long, then you should be able to apply 4 years + 1 day after you returned (or 2 years + 1 day after returning based on marriage).

I do not think that they will deny your application for an 8 month stay abroad. There are lots and lots of posts on here about people who had similar trips and were approved. They may, however, delay your approval while they ask for more information.

hi:

"If you can show that you left the country with every intention I return" How to prove this? I booked a one way flight not round trip. This is really tricky to prove i think..

Timeline

hi:

"If you can show that you left the country with every intention I return" How to prove this? I booked a one way flight not round trip. This is really tricky to prove i think..

Ties to the US. Do you own a house, have a spouse or children here, were you paying rent, car insurance, mobile phone bills, etc. Also, demonstrating that the cause of your trip abroad was temporary (an illness) is helpful.

If you can't show any of this, you may be denied. If you are, you can reapply once you meet the eligibility requirements.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Ties to the US. Do you own a house, have a spouse or children here, were you paying rent, car insurance, mobile phone bills, etc. Also, demonstrating that the cause of your trip abroad was temporary (an illness) is helpful.

If you can't show any of this, you may be denied. If you are, you can reapply once you meet the eligibility requirements.

Hi: I don't won a house, I live with my relatives or rent apartment. I was a student at that time so no spouse or children. During the absence no car insurance, cell.. I believe I am in trouble. I didn't have any of those doesn't mean I didn't intend to come back. But I guess this is the rule, now I think I will just go and try my luck.

Timeline

Hi: I don't won a house, I live with my relatives or rent apartment. I was a student at that time so no spouse or children. During the absence no car insurance, cell.. I believe I am in trouble. I didn't have any of those doesn't mean I didn't intend to come back. But I guess this is the rule, now I think I will just go and try my luck.

There's a chance that your application will be denied, but that's not at all a certainty.

If it is denied, you can reapply when you have accumulated 4 years + 1 day in the US from the day that you returned (assuming that you lived here for a year as a permanent resident before you left).

I think that because you were gone under a year, there's a good chance they may not care.

Just to double check, how many days have you been in the U.S. out of the last 5 years?

You have broken the continuous residence requirement, but let's make sure you meet the 30 month physical presence requirement.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I had a trip lasted about 7 monthd and i goy approved with no ptoblem and they didn,' even asked for passport anf anything on my interview.and i am a us citizen now, since december 5,2014 and would applly for my us passport this week

Edited by Moaz

I had a trip lasted about 7 monthd and i goy approved with no ptoblem and they didn,' even asked for passport anf anything on my interview.and i am a us citizen now, since december 5,2014 and would applly for my us passport this week

Wow, good for you! I guess it vary from each immigrant officers and states. I have been out for 9 months, unsure what is going to happen at the interview.

It was back in 2012, you don't have to worry much. They focus pretty much on your recent travel. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.