Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How to Get Dual Citizenship Netherlands/USA

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands

My Dutch husband just became an American citizen in September and has now completed the paperwork to become a dual citizen. It was a bit complicated, and the nice lady at the embassy said people rarely have all their paperwork in order, so I wanted to post this to help others since visa journey has be so EXTREMELY helpful for us throughout the immigration process.

After my husband got his naturalization certificate we got information from this website:


Since his dual citizenship was based on our marriage, we needed:

1. legalized copy of my U.S. birth certificate and a copy of it (they keep the copy)

2. legalized copy of our marriage license and a copy of it (they keep the copy)

3. legalized copy of his naturalization certificate and a copy of it (they keep the copy)

4. Proof of residency (electric bill) and a copy for them to keep

5. My passport and all of his passports, and photocopies of the page with your info on it (they keep the copies)

6. Affidavit of marital status http://www.rsonac.org/appendices/affidavit-marital-status.html (signed by me and notarized)

7. Dutch passport application http://www.rsonac.org/appendices/passport-forms.html(don't sign it until you get to your appt and they tell you to)

8. The processing fee ($166.50 US when we did it in Dec. 2014)

9. Postage paid return envelope (we used a Priority Mail envelope), with your address in the "from" and "to" sections

The legalized copies were the big pain in the butt. I had to get new copies of my birth certificate and our marriage license from my county office (we live in MN.) Then those copies need to go to the Secretary of State's office for an apostille. You can mail them or bring them in person. MN has a quick turn around on them...about 48 hours, or right while you wait if you go in person. It was only $5 per item to do. Here's the info for getting apostilles from any state: http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=authorities.details&aid=353.

The state cannot legalize a federal document, so you're not done with the USCIS yet! We had to make an appointment and go in person to our closest USCIS office to get a "certified true copy" of the certificate. You have to make an appointment online with infopass, bring a copy and the original certificate, and in a few minutes they have done their magic and you go home with it. Then to get the apostille you need to mail the certified true copy (not the original) to the Office of Authentications in Washington D.C. The directions are online here: http://www.rsonac.org/other-services/legalization/legalizing-documents/legalizing-naturalization-certificates.

Once you have all of your forms and documents lined up, then you make an appointment to go to your closest Dutch consulate general online. https://www.visaservices.firm.in/Netherlands-US-Appointment/AppScheduling/AppWelcome.aspx?P=cCiy6xeqlBWf0MSvlUERSCDhdFkas/mFaceUVLcp3A4=

You will need to bring a new passport photo, taken to the Dutch passport specifications (different than U.S. passport photos.) There are just a few places listed: http://www.rsonac.org/passports/related-topics/photographers.html The one we went to in Chicago was about a 20 minute walk from the Consulate General.

The appointments are 20 minutes, and it took that long to do it all. The lady at the Consulate in Chicago was very nice, and was very impressed that we had all of our documents in order. She mentioned something about getting some declaration in The Netherlands next time we're over there so they can never take the dual citizenship away. I'll find out more about that later. Hopefully after I've written this up even more people will come with their documents all in order!

I hope this helps people to navigate through the dual citizenship for the Netherlands/USA!

Karla and Hein Bloem

Houston, MN

Edited by karlaowl

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands

Now that we have Hein's Dutch passport (and dual citizenship), we found that there is one more step to keep the dual citizenship. We need to get a verklaring omtrent het bezit van het Nederlanderschap (declaration regarding the Dutch nationality) before the passport expires. If the passport expires without having this, then he loses his dual citizenship. It involves all the same paperwork we needed for the dual citizenship. Details on getting the declaration are available at http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/nederlandse-nationaliteit/dubbele-nationaliteit.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very helpful...I found your information by searching, because we want to do dual citizenship as well, all nice and legal.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...