ranyw

Iraqi Passports

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Is anyone else having this issue ?

My wife has an appointment at the US Embassy in Amman on May 15, 2007. I got word that the US is no longer accepting older Iraqi passports as they are too easy to manipulate. So now, everyone and their mother is rushing to get a new passport. The Iraqi embassy in Jordan is not issuing replacement passports and is advising people to go back to baghdad to get a passport. Now to top things off, I'm trying to plan a reception here in the US about two months after her interview, do you guys think that is cutting it too short ????

nervous in Los Angeles

-rany

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Is anyone else having this issue ?

My wife has an appointment at the US Embassy in Amman on May 15, 2007. I got word that the US is no longer accepting older Iraqi passports as they are too easy to manipulate. So now, everyone and their mother is rushing to get a new passport. The Iraqi embassy in Jordan is not issuing replacement passports and is advising people to go back to baghdad to get a passport. Now to top things off, I'm trying to plan a reception here in the US about two months after her interview, do you guys think that is cutting it too short ????

nervous in Los Angeles

-rany

I saw that announcment on the Embassy's website, it's still there if you want to read more about it.

I do think you are cutting it way too close. We had our interview on October 19th and we still have not recieved our visa. Amman is a very slow embassy. I am in the same boat as you, we want to plan our wedding but we have to wait until he has the visa which won't give us much time to plan.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

My fiance is in the process of getting the new "G" series passport as well.......unfortunately none of the Iraqi embassies are issueing it and everyone has to go to Baghdad to get the new passports. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't make any concrete plans for anytime as of yet, especially since she is going through Amman.....our interview was on October 12, 2006 and Amman said the Visa was ready for issue on January 9th so that was almost three months for us right there and I think our AP went pretty fast compared to others going through Amman. The othere crappy thing about Amman is that they won't allow you to come and personally pick up your Visa once it is issued....you have to mail it to them via Aramex and then WAIT for them to get around to mailing it back to you...so God only knows how long it will take them to do that. My fiance hopes to have his passport by the end of next week and will immidiately mail it to the embassy. I'll keep you posted on how long it takes for them to get it back to him.

*************** K1 TIMELINE ****************

November 15, 2005 - I-129F Petition mailed to Vermont Service Center

Nov. 23 NOA-1 RFeceived / December 05, 2005 - NOA-2 Received

December 14, 2005 - Case # and packet received from U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

January 15, 2006 - Completed packet mailed to U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

March 26, 2006 - Letter received stating Visa Appointment scheduled for October 12, 2006

October 12, 2006 - Visa Interview - Approved!

October - December 2006 - Administrative Processing / Security Check

December 20, 2006 - State Department finishes administrative processing

January 24, 2007 - I FINALLY find out Visa is ready because NO ONE EVER called us from the embassy in Amman

February 27, 2007 - Passport sent off to embassy in Amman to have Visa put in

April 13, 2007 - VISA IN HAND!!! After 17 months....Friday the 13th...how fitting.

April 24, 2007 - Entrance into U.S. at Chicago O'Hare...YAY!!!

***************** AOS TIMELINE ******************

May 15, 2007 - Finally Married!!!!

May 17, 2007- Received Social Security Number

May 29, 2007 - Mailed of AOS/EAD Packet

June 9, 2007 - Received NOA-1

June 28, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

July 26, 2007 - RFE for I-485 (need to re-submit W-2s for sponsor and joint sponsor)

August 18, 2007 - Recived appointment letter for I-485.

October 25, 2007 - Green Card Interview!

***************** Lifting of Conditions ******************

October 19, 2009 - Interview for 10 yr. Green Card - Lifting of conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Hi,

there are few couples here including me who is drowning in this mess about the new iraqi passports, the iraqi goverment is issuing this new G series passport as they said it secured and cant be forged, its still new there in Iraq and even they are still issuing the old S series passports to poeple. Now i dont know if the US goverment took a fast decision about this to stop dealing with old passports , or the iraqi goverment informed other countries outside to stop dealing with them leaving us in the middle. am in UAE and the iraqi embassy does not have a sure clue about when it will be here even though they through me to check back after 2 to 3 months. it need electronic equipments to be installed in every iraqi embassy so they can deal and issue this passport and that means some time for the staff also to know how it operates those and deal with it so it might take some time. Iraq is the only place now to issue those series so far. you can at least check with the US embassy there if you can attend the interview with the old passport so you win some time.

best wishes and good luck

Aug 08-2011 N-400 package sent

Aug 11-2011 NOA date

Aug 12-2011 check cashed

Sep 14-2011 Biometrics

Oct 03-2011 Interview letter (Fax only)

Oct 27-2011 Interview day >>>>> PASSED

Oct 27-2011 Oath ceremony ... Journey ends here

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hi,

there are few couples here including me who is drowning in this mess about the new iraqi passports, the iraqi goverment is issuing this new G series passport as they said it secured and cant be forged, its still new there in Iraq and even they are still issuing the old S series passports to poeple. Now i dont know if the US goverment took a fast decision about this to stop dealing with old passports , or the iraqi goverment informed other countries outside to stop dealing with them leaving us in the middle. am in UAE and the iraqi embassy does not have a sure clue about when it will be here even though they through me to check back after 2 to 3 months. it need electronic equipments to be installed in every iraqi embassy so they can deal and issue this passport and that means some time for the staff also to know how it operates those and deal with it so it might take some time. Iraq is the only place now to issue those series so far. you can at least check with the US embassy there if you can attend the interview with the old passport so you win some time.

best wishes and good luck

wow what a nightmare!!! :blink:

good luck to all dealing with this!!! (F)

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

The worst thing about these new passports is that the people working at the ministries and other places in Baghdad where they make the new passports have turned the whole thing into a real profitable underground business racket. Since no one really needs the new passport unless they are trying to leave the country the a-holes making them know the people are desperate (like my fiance who needs it for his Visa) and are charging an arm and a leg to make the passport. The first price quote my fiance received was last week for $2000!!! He's since gotten the price finagled down to $1500 but this is still rediculous.

December 14, 2005 - Case # and packet received from U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

March 26, 2006 - Letter received stating Visa Appointment scheduled for October 12, 2006

January 24, 2007 - I FINALLY find out Visa is ready because NO ONE EVER called us from the embassy in Amman

April 13, 2007 - VISA IN HAND!!! After 17 months....Friday the 13th...how fitting.

July 26, 2007 - RFE for I-485 (need to re-submit W-2s for sponsor and joint sponsor)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
The worst thing about these new passports is that the people working at the ministries and other places in Baghdad where they make the new passports have turned the whole thing into a real profitable underground business racket. Since no one really needs the new passport unless they are trying to leave the country the a-holes making them know the people are desperate (like my fiance who needs it for his Visa) and are charging an arm and a leg to make the passport. The first price quote my fiance received was last week for $2000!!! He's since gotten the price finagled down to $1500 but this is still rediculous.

Mandolin...when was the visa ready to be picked up? You may have a leg to stand on here. The embassy stopped accepted the S series passports on January 8th, if the visa was ready before that and they didn't contact you maybe they will still honor the other passport. Its worth a shot, I know its a long shot but it still might work.

S SERIES PASSPORT NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL TO U.S.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT IRAQI PASSPORTS

Effective January 8, 2007, the United States will no longer issue visas in Iraq S series passports or accept

them for admission to the United States.

The G series Iraq passport, which incorporates robust, effective security features, can be used for visas or

travel to the United States. Iraqis with S series passports who wish to travel to the United States should

contact the nearest Iraqi embassy to find out how to obtain a G series passport.

FLAWS OF THE S SERIES PASSPORT

The S series passport does not meet international security standards for issuance or design. Sub-standard

security features and a lack of control over production and issuance make the S series passport extremely

vulnerable to alteration, counterfeiting, and impostors. Because of its flaws, the United States has determined

that the S series passport does not establish the bearer's identity and nationality as required under the INA

definition of a passport.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

Mandolin...when was the visa ready to be picked up? You may have a leg to stand on here. The embassy stopped accepted the S series passports on January 8th, if the visa was ready before that and they didn't contact you maybe they will still honor the other passport. Its worth a shot, I know its a long shot but it still might work.

According to the embassy, his visa was ready for issue January 9th ....LOL....story of my life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.