Turbota

Question > Applying for US passport after Naturalization

19 posts in this topic

I am a little confused here ... Maybe someone that has just finished there oath ceremony can help me with a couple of questions:

1. I understand the passport reps that used to attend the oath ceremonies are not there anymore?

2. If so, obviously a new citizen will now need to apply for there US passport at some date later than there oath ceremony ... Can this be done via the mail, or does the [new] US citizen need to apply in person somewhere in order to get a US passport?

3. I read that the new citizen needs to provide there [original] Certificate of Naturalization in order to apply for a passport (photocopy not accepted) .... If so, do they get it back since it's there only original Certificate of Naturalization?

4. I also heard that Social Security will need the original Certificate of Naturalization ... How can we provide that if we already gave it to the government agency processing our new US passport?

Thanks,

Naturalization (3-year marriage rule)

07 / 08 / 14 .. ..N-400 Application Sent
07 / 21 / 14
.. ..Case Acceptance Letter Received

07 / 26 / 14 .. ..Biometrics Notification Letter Received

08 / 06 / 14 .. ..Biometrics Complete
09 / 09 / 14 .. . .Interview Notification Letter Received

10 / 14 / 14 .. ..Interview Complete .(requested additional documentation)
11 / 04 / 14
.. ..Supervisory Review of Case

11 / 28 / 14 .. . Oath Ceremony Letter Received

12 / 05 / 14 . . . Oath Ceremony Complete ... New US Citizen !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am a little confused here ... Maybe someone that has just finished there oath ceremony can help me with a couple of questions:

1. I understand the passport reps that used to attend the oath ceremonies are not there anymore?

2. If so, obviously a new citizen will now need to apply for there US passport at some date later than there oath ceremony ... Can this be done via the mail, or does the [new] US citizen need to apply in person somewhere in order to get a US passport?

3. I read that the new citizen needs to provide there [original] Certificate of Naturalization in order to apply for a passport (photocopy not accepted) .... If so, do they get it back since it's there only original Certificate of Naturalization?

4. I also heard that Social Security will need the original Certificate of Naturalization ... How can we provide that if we already gave it to the government agency processing our new US passport?

Thanks,

1- Some oath ceremonies never had anyone there to accept passport applications. I don't know if some still do.

2- You can go to the post office, county clerk, or to a passport agency to apply. First time applicants must apply in person. Some locations require an appointment while others take walk-ins.

3- You have to present your oroginal naturalization certificate. They will take it and mail it to the processing center along with your application. You will receive your certificate in the mail a few days after you get your passport in the mail.

4- You can go to the Social Security office before you apply for a passport or after you get your certificate back.

If you have proof of immediate or emergency international travel, you can apply at a passport agency and get same-day service or get your passport within two days depending on your travel dates.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Jimmy ... You are a wealth of good info! :)

I don't even know if there is a passport agency in our city, however, I do know that there is a SS office here.

I think that after my wife gets her oath, that she just wait a couple of days and go to the SS office first (with her original Naturalization Certificate) and update SS.

Then when that's done, go to the post office along with her Naturalization Certificate and apply for the US passport.

07 / 21 / 14

11 / 04 / 14

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nope....It's not obvious that as a US citizen you need to apply for a passport.

Tens of Millions of US citizen's do not have a passport.....there is no requirement for that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. There's no passport rep during oath taking ceremonies. Instead voters registration form. (depending what state).

2. You have to apply US passport in person.

3. Yes, they your need your naturalization certificate and they will mail it back.

4. Update your ssn first before applying for passport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Tens of Millions of US citizen's do not have a passport.....there is no requirement for that.

I agree that there's millions of american without passport, but we should not forget that we have family left in the Philippines.

"obviously a new citizen will now need to apply for there US passport at some date later than there oath ceremony"

Maybe poor wording on my part ... What I meant to say that ... it's obvious that a new citizen that [wants a passport] will now need to apply for there US passport at some date later than there oath ceremony.

07 / 21 / 14

11 / 04 / 14

Timeline

"obviously a new citizen will now need to apply for there US passport at some date later than there oath ceremony"

Maybe poor wording on my part ... What I meant to say that ... it's obvious that a new citizen that [wants a passport] will now need to apply for there US passport at some date later than there oath ceremony.

There you go..... :)

I agree that there's millions of american without passport, but we should not forget that we have family left in the Philippines.

Yup ... In my wife's case, she want's to go back to school in the Philippines and get her RN nursing courses. Since she will be out of the US for an extended period of time to do this, she wants to get her US citizenship and passport [before] she goes back to the Philippines.

She received her BS / Computer Science degree prior to us moving to the US, but now she wants to go to school again and become an RN.

Seems like she just basically just threw away 4 hard years of college, since she now she wants to start all over in nursing school .... oh well

Edited by Turbota

07 / 21 / 14

11 / 04 / 14

Timeline

America is a continent, really has nothing to due with any government affiliation.

Canadian's are Americans, Mexican's are Americans, Honduran's are American's, Peruvian's are American's, Brazilian's are American's, etc.......

Edited by Thomas&Cleofe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

America is a continent, really has nothing to due with any government affiliation.

Canadian's are Americans, Mexican's are Americans, Honduran's are American's, Peruvian's are American's, Brazilian's are American's, etc.......

The second part of your post is absolutely correct but the first (about government affiliation) is not accurate. American has two definitions.

Yes, Canadians and Mexicans and Brazilians are Americans in that they are inhabitants of one of the two American continents, but a word can have more than one definition and American is also used to refer to the nationality of the citizens of the United States of America (Merriam Webster and Oxford English Dictionary). The post to which you are replying clearly meant to use American in reference to a US citizen, since the question was about applying for a US passport after the US oath of citizenship ceremony.

Using "American" to mean "US citizen" does not make an Argentinian less of an American.

In the same way, using "cool" to mean "good" does not mean that it no longer means "slightly cold".

Likewise, America is one of two continents (North or South), but it is also an alternate name for the United States of America. Canadians and Bolivians don't call their nation America, only "Americans" do.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

07 / 21 / 14

11 / 04 / 14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yup ... In my wife's case, she want's to go back to school in the Philippines and get her RN nursing courses. Since she will be out of the US for an extended period of time to do this, she wants to get her US citizenship and passport [before] she goes back to the Philippines.

She received her BS / Computer Science degree prior to us moving to the US, but now she wants to go to school again and become an RN.

Seems like she just basically just threw away 4 hard years of college, since she now she wants to start all over in nursing school .... oh well

Your wife should rethink this plan carefully if she plans to come back and work most of her career in nursing in the USA. Being a foreign trained RN makes it a much more difficult, long and expensive process to gain US licensure. She'd be better off doing an accelerated bachelor degree if she already has a bachelors and ending up as a US-trained RN.

5/2/14 - Marriage to USC (Australian citizen on E-3 visa)

6/20/14 (Day 0): AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox
6/24/14 (Day 4): Text notification of receipt (I-130, I-131 and I-765 "Initial Review", I-485 "Accepted")
6/30/14 (Day 10): Received NOAs and biometrics notice for 7/24
7/7/14 (Day 17): Walk-in biometrics at Pittsburgh ASC
7/30/14 (Day 40): Email update: I-485 has moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

8/20/13 (Day 61): Text notification: I-131 and I-765 approved, "Card Production" status

8/28/14 (Day 69): Text notification: EAD/AP card mailed

8/29/14 (Day 70): EAD/AP card received

9/10/14 (Day 82): Text msg of case update - interview date notice mailed

10/16/14 (Day 118): Interview - approved. Text update of "card production" status
10/20/14 (Day 122): Received welcome letter

10/23/14 (Day 125): Received green card

Filed: Timeline

@Genddop is right, so listen to him/her and heed the advice. If someone goes to get their RN, teacher, physician practice abroad, they'll have to do it here too as it's not transferable. That just the tough luck...So, she should either rethink this whole RN idea total and just get a job in her computer science field, or do her RN training here in the U.S.

All the best!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OK so my wife couldn't even wait for a late afternoon appt at the post office we were not even home 30 minutes after oath ceremony when we went to a walkin post office and applied. We had done the form first online and printed it out. She was creaking when the lady said original cert would be going off in the Mail. Wife was very scared. It was going express mail and would arrive next day. That gave her a little comfort. For someone who was not really interested in this American thing she sure got possessive quickly ha ha ha.

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2014 - N-400 mailed priority Phoenix lockbox
08-1x-2014 - N-400 package accepted

08-20-2014 - Check cashed

09-xx-2014 - NOA bio-metrics appointment

09-18-2014 - Bio-metrics appointment Columbus office

09-22-2014 - NOA letter scheduled interview 10-30-2014

10-30-2014 - Naturalization interview and test Columbus Ohio office.

Application changed to five year as mark reached while waiting for interview

Passed civic test and interview recommends approval !!!

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath
11-13-2014 - Case Status updated "We scheduled your oath ceremony"

11-14-2014 - NOA letter final interview and oath Tuesday 11-25-2014

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

- Applied US Passport at local post office

08-2016 - Received 10 year Q2 visa to visit China as a US citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.