bibliospecs

Do I have to renounce my US Citizenship if I become an Australian Citizen?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The interesting thing is that when I became a US citizen, I still kept my Swedish citizenship, BUT the US does not recognize my Swedish citizenship although I officially am a Swedish citizen carrying two passport, my American and my Swedish. So according to the US, I am allowed dual citizenship BUT the US only recognizes my American, but never asked me to renounce it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The interesting thing is that when I became a US citizen, I still kept my Swedish citizenship, BUT the US does not recognize my Swedish citizenship although I officially am a Swedish citizen carrying two passport, my American and my Swedish. So according to the US, I am allowed dual citizenship BUT the US only recognizes my American, but never asked me to renounce it.

If you become a US citizen, the US doesn't care whether or not you keep your original nationality.

If you are already a US citizen and then acquire another citizenship, the US may care if they have reason to believe that you intended to abandon your US citizenship when you applied for the new citizenship.

Just to add a twist on this:

As you said, if you have multiple citizenships, the US officially only sees you as a US citizen. However, some other countries don't care how the US sees you... I'll use my own country as an example, but this is valid for many countries: if an Egyptian-American dual-citizen and a American (single nationality) get in trouble in Egypt, the former is likely to be imprisoned while the latter is likely to be deported. This is because Egypt, while it recognizes dual citizenship, will still see the Egyptian-American as an Egyptian citizen unless he formally renounces his citizenship.

Here's what the State Department says:

"Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance."

Another issue is security clearances... while the US theoretically only sees you as a US citizen, they don't always treat you only as a US citizen. Here's some information from a non-government site:
EVALUATING DUAL CITIZENSHIP
The foreign country where citizenship is held is not relevant. DOHA decisions regarding applicants who were unwilling to renounce Iranian or Chinese citizenship were the same as for those who were unwilling to renounce Canadian or British citizenship. When an immigrant becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen and takes the oath of allegiance in which they “absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen,” they rarely take the additional step of insuring that their former citizenship has been effectively renounced. Some even apply to have their foreign passport renewed and use it to travel to their native country. This creates serious problems when applying for a security clearance. The following are examples of potentially disqualifying conditions, extracted from the Adjudicative Guidelines, related to dual citizenship:
1. Possession of a current foreign passport;
2. Accepting educational, medical, retirement, social welfare, or other such benefits from a foreign country;
3. Residence in a foreign country to meet citizenship requirements;
4. Using foreign citizenship to protect financial or business interests in another country;
5. Seeking or holding political office in a foreign country;
6. Voting in a foreign election;
7. Action to acquire or obtain recognition of a foreign citizenship by an American citizen.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

You cannot lose your U.S. citizenship by simple virtue of naturalizing in a foreign state. Any "expatriating act" has to be with the intention to lose your U.S. citizenship. If the person admits that his/her intention wasn't not to lose their U.S. citizenship, the same would suffice as evidence that they retain such citizenship. I think the following should clear things up and should help others in the future with the same question.

Here is the link with the complete info:

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality.html

Potentially Expatriating Acts

Section 349 of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. nationals are subject to loss of nationality if they perform certain specifiedacts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Briefly stated, these acts include:

1. obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon one's own application after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (1) INA);
  2. taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or its political subdivisions after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);
  3. entering or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities against the United States or serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);
  4. accepting employment with a foreign government after the age of 18 if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (b) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);
  5. formally renouncing U.S. nationality before a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer outside the United States (sec. 349 (a) (5) INA);
  6. formally renouncing U.S. nationality within the United States (The Department of Homeland Security is responsible for implementing this section of the law) (Sec. 349 (a) (6) INA);
  7. conviction for an act of treason against the Government of the United States or for attempting to force to overthrow the Government of the United States (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA).

Administrative Standard of Evidence

As already noted, the actions listed above will result in the loss of U.S. nationality if performed voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. nationality. The Department has a uniform administrative standard of evidence based on the premise that U.S. nationals intend to retain United States nationality when they obtain naturalization in a foreign state, declare their allegiance to a foreign state, serve in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or accept non-policy level employment with a foreign government.

Disposition of Cases when Administrative Premise is Applicable

In light of the administrative premise discussed above, a person who:

1. is naturalized in a foreign country;
  2. takes a routine oath of allegiance to a foreign state;
  3. serves in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or
  4. accepts non-policy level employment with a foreign government,

and in so doing wishes to retain U.S. nationality need not submit prior to the commission of a potentially expatriating act a statement or evidence of his or her intent to retain U.S. nationality since such an intent will be presumed.

When, as the result of an individual's inquiry or an individual's application for registration or a passport it comes to the attention of a U.S. consular officer that a U.S. national has performed an act made potentially expatriating by INA Sections 349(a)(1), 349(a)(2), 349(a)(3) or 349(a)(4) as described above, the consular officer will simply ask the applicant if he/she intended to relinquish U.S. nationality when performing the act. If the answer is no, the consular officer will certify that it was not the person's intent to relinquish U.S. nationality and, consequently, find that the person has retained U.S. nationality.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Essentially, unless you intended to bail on your USC at the time of your naturalization to another nation, you'll be fine.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.