Randall J

Bangkok CO Cosponsor Approval

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Does anyone have any RECENT information as to whether the Bangkok consular accepts cosponsors for the K1? I know that some consulars absolutey do not. Thanks and good luck to everyone on their journey.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Thailand Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Does anyone have any RECENT information as to whether the Bangkok consular accepts cosponsors for the K1? I know that some consulars absolutey do not. Thanks and good luck to everyone on their journey.

I don't have any recent information. I haven't seen anyone try here on VJ in awhile. I know that Bangkok generally does not accept co-sponsors for K-1s, although I have seen them make exceptions. The last case I remember where a co-sponsor was allowed for a K-1, both people were young and attending university.

Also, in your VJ profile change your country to Thailand. That way when you post something concerning Thailand, it will show up in the country portal.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Thank you Karee, I will change that in my profile. Also I was able to contact a law firm in Bangkok and they said the same thing, the Bangkok consular does not accept cosponsors. That was very discouraging because it ment that we would have to do the CR-1 visa which would take significantly longer, plus the additional expense of traveling back to Thailand (I just got back to the states) to get married there.

However........ I was able to talk with a visa service agency and they informed me that there are ways to meet the income requirements using "future income". This might be common knowledge but it was news to me so I thought I'd share.

I hope this might help someone. Any if anyone has ANY info they think might be helpful, please share with me as well.

Thanks and best of luck on your journey.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you Karee, I will change that in my profile. Also I was able to contact a law firm in Bangkok and they said the same thing, the Bangkok consular does not accept cosponsors. That was very discouraging because it ment that we would have to do the CR-1 visa which would take significantly longer, plus the additional expense of traveling back to Thailand (I just got back to the states) to get married there.

However........ I was able to talk with a visa service agency and they informed me that there are ways to meet the income requirements using "future income". This might be common knowledge but it was news to me so I thought I'd share.

I hope this might help someone. Any if anyone has ANY info they think might be helpful, please share with me as well.

Karee is correct about the use of joint sponsors but like him I don't have recent experience. He and I both have years of working on these cases here on V J.

Having said that there have been about 5 cases I helped with where a joint sponsor was allowed. This would totally depend on your exact circumstances. Those cases were students returning to the USA mostly. If you want more info let us know.

Please do not engage one of these " visa agencies ". You can get all the correct info right here on V J. They will tell you anything to get the fees.

Income must be proven with tax info not forecasted. The embassy will never accept ghost income.

With all respect intended I advise you to educate yourself about how to marry in Thailand and what goes along with that. I don't mean you shouldn't just make sure you are informed so there are no surprises. Sin Sod for example is a difficult but important subject.

Find Thailand Fever on Amazon. You will find a lot of good info there. Have your fiancé buy one in Thailand where farangs buy books. She can learn about Americans and form questions based on what she learns in the book.

Timeline

Thank you Ning. Do you know if KNOWN future income (e.g. my VA disability payments) can be used to qualify for the up-coming year (2015)? (VA yearly payment 10,000 + Jan,Feb,Mar pay stubs 6,000 = 16,000 minimum yearly)

My concern is that I've been teaching in Thailand the past 8 months and that that income cannot be used to qualify using this previous year (2014 income). Also if I do meet the minimum income requirements will that be enough, or do they want an income significantly more than the minimum?

Timeline

Thank you Ning. Do you know if KNOWN future income (e.g. my VA disability payments) can be used to qualify for the up-coming year (2015)? (VA yearly payment 10,000 + Jan,Feb,Mar pay stubs 6,000 = 16,000 minimum yearly)

My concern is that I've been teaching in Thailand the past 8 months and that that income cannot be used to qualify using this previous year (2014 income). Also if I do meet the minimum income requirements will that be enough, or do they want an income significantly more than the minimum?

I am not experienced with the issue of disability payments but just today I read on V J that type of payment couldn't be considered. Contact the moderator Ryan about this. Maybe someone else can help with this such as Karee.

Will you be teaching again in the USA? If you have a sufficient income at the time of the P 3 submittal she would be approved. There is a lot to be known about the circumstances before anyone can advise you correctly.

What is most important about your income is what it is at the time of the interview therefore the known future.

Timeline

First you should fill in your time line so we know where you are in the process. You can do that here:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/intro.php?cfl=

Have you filed the I-129F with USCIS yet? As Ning stated, stay away from the visa shysters. Everything you need is here at VJ if your case is straight forward, which it appears to be except for the AOS issue. If you haven't filed the I-129F yet, this gives you some time to prepare to overcome the income issue. Possibly 4-6 months. You wont have to submit the I-134 until near your interview date. The bottom line is that you'll need to have a VERY good reason that you can't meet the income requirements for a K-1. If you have these reasons they may accept a co-sponsor. You mentioned that you had just returned from Thailand while teaching there. You should file an income tax return declaring that income right after the 1st of the year. Keep in mind since you earned that income overseas, you will not be liable for taxes as long as you lived in Thailand for a certain period of time. You'll need to look that up. Google "foreign earned income exclusion" You'll get some guidance there.

Let us know where you are in the process, and that will determine the advice we can give you.

Timeline

I'm kinda in limbo at this point because I don't know how to proceed. It sounds like the most likely way to get the visa is to do the CR-1; which is fine, we can go that route. My only hesitation about that is the time it takes to get approved (450 days - filing to interview, as of today; where as the K1 is 288).

The reason I don't meet the income req. is because I am 50% military service connected disabled. I have a chronic illness that has kept me home-bound for days and sometimes weeks at a time. Only during this past year it's been well managed with medication and I've been able to work steadily. Now I'm planning on continuing my degree and of course working as well. Do you think my circumstances would have any bearing on the cosponsor issue? Of course I know it's up to the CO in Bangkok, but what are your thoughts?

Timeline

I'm kinda in limbo at this point because I don't know how to proceed. It sounds like the most likely way to get the visa is to do the CR-1; which is fine, we can go that route. My only hesitation about that is the time it takes to get approved (450 days - filing to interview, as of today; where as the K1 is 288).

The reason I don't meet the income req. is because I am 50% military service connected disabled. I have a chronic illness that has kept me home-bound for days and sometimes weeks at a time. Only during this past year it's been well managed with medication and I've been able to work steadily. Now I'm planning on continuing my degree and of course working as well. Do you think my circumstances would have any bearing on the cosponsor issue? Of course I know it's up to the CO in Bangkok, but what are your thoughts?

I had the option of going the K-3 route (similar to K-1) or going the CR-1/IR-1 route. I decided on the IR-1 even though it took an extra couple months. The reason for this is that is resulted in a green card for my wife within a month after arrival. It's also cheaper in the long run to go the CR-1/IR-1 route. Also, co-sponsors are allowed. It's much better all the way around. The only problem is you have to be married. I would always recommend the CR-1 visa over the K-1.

As for the CO accepting the co-sponsor for the K-1, they may be more accepting since you're on a military related disability. In fact, I think the military has some sort of immigration dept. for helping folks in the military.

There's a military forum here on VJ:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/152-military-immigration-related-discussion/

Timeline

Your case is as unique as every other case. These cases always hinge on the same thing which is income because its about support or rather the ability to prove the US govt wont have to provide the required support.

I don't know what 50% military service connected disabled means exactly but I can guess. I hope in this case there is recognition of your service by the very government that asked you to sacrifice for the rest of us. We thank you for that service.

You could consider presenting your case with the following tactics which were successful in some cases I helped with.

File the K 1 petition. Immediately begin putting together the docs including a letter to explain your plan for supporting her in the first 6 months or so. Explain that you understand you must marry within 90 days but that you plan on doing it within say 30 days. Indicate your understanding of the ability to file the AOS the day after you marry. Doing that shows the C O that you know you would be able to use a joint sponsor with the AOS . This means you will use a joint sponsor no matter what takes place and in a short time frame. The govt then becomes responsible for how long it takes to get the docs done so they are covered by the 864s used in the AOS filing.

I would also create an income and expense doc showing exactly how you will begin life in the USA as a couple. As part of that I would include this disability income including the source. This is far different than some guy that fell off a ladder ect.

Educate yourself about what the 134 form really means as opposed to the 864. The 134 is weak when it comes to enforcement which is why they don't want joint sponsors using it. The 864 is very different.

Also indicate your plan for working while continuing your education. Additionally tell them that your then wife would be going to work as soon as she has her green card or EAD. That could mean she would be working within a few months. The idea is to take the mystery out of the equation so the CO can make the best decision. The timing of the submission of this info needs to be planned out carefully because it should be done about the time of the P 3 which would be months from now. By then you will be working and going to school I hope.

I think this may work in your special case. I hope Karee will add his thoughts about this plan of action because he is very experienced too.

Edited by Ning

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.