JaEnglishGirl

Entering With a K1

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience of entering with a K1, but asking the immigration officer not to 'start' it?

I know I have 4 months to use the visa once it's been issued, but what if I needed to visit before getting married?

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

An expert here may have a better answer but your clock starts ticking towards 90 days to marry your fiance when you enter the USA on a K-1 visa.

Are you saying you want to visit or conduct work once in the USA, then return home? Later coming back on the K-1 visa to marry?

Not totally sure I understand your question but it sounds like you plan a trip to the USA before you want to enter on your K-1. Not sure how well that will go over with immigration as they will probably guess you are coming to marry your fiance once the visa is issued. Before the visa is issued, many have no trouble coming for visits assuming they come from the right country such as Canada or the UK for example.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't have experience doing this, but couldn't you simply enter the US without bringing your K-1 visa, and bring it later, when you're entering the US to become a permanent resident?

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

I don't have experience doing this, but couldn't you simply enter the US without bringing your K-1 visa, and bring it later, when you're entering the US to become a permanent resident?

No, she can't... the visa will be stuck into her passport, so she can't just leave it at home.

AlienUKGirl - I really don't think it's possible to do that (someone might know otherwise, though...) - but I just wanted to point out that you have 6 months, not 4, from when the visa is issued, to enter the US with it. And then 90 days after that to marry.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Does anyone have any experience of entering with a K1, but asking the immigration officer not to 'start' it?

I know I have 4 months to use the visa once it's been issued, but what if I needed to visit before getting married?

If you enter with a K1 visa there is no asking immigration not to start it. The whole point of the k1 visa is to come and get married, and when you filed for your K-1 petition you submitted 2 different letters of intent stating you would get married. You have up until 6 months once your visa is issued to leave your home country and come to the USA, once here in USA you have 90 days in which you must get married. To my knowledge they dont offer any extensions on the 90 day time frame either.

If you need to come to the USA before getting married, its probably better you do it before you send off your k1 petition on a vistors visa or VWP or if your petition is already sent off then come before you have your interview ( just make sure you under stand there could be a delay in getting your visa if you are denied entry).

Scott and Misty Offcial Webpage!

How does it happen, Great love?... Noone knows.. But I what I do know is it happens in a blink of an eye. One minutes your happily living your life and the next your wondering how you ever lived without them.

*I-129f sent* 10-31-2006

*I-129f recieved at VSC* 11-02-2006

*NOA1* 11-03-2006

*Check Cashed/Touched* 11-09-2006

*Touched* 11-15-2006

*Touched* 11-16-2006

*RFE email notice* 12-05-2006

*RFE snail mail* 12-11-2006

*RFE mailed back overnight* 12-12-2006

*RFE recieved VSC* 12-13-2006

*Touched* 12-14-2006

*Touched* 12-15-2006

*Touched* 12-18-2006

*Touched* 12-19-2006

*NOA2 email* 01-25-2007

*Touched* 01-26-2007

*Case Recieved at NVC* 01-29-2007

*Case Sent to London Embassy* 01-30-2007

*Fiance Recieves Packet 3* 02-10-2007

*Fiance Mails Back Packet 3* 02-12-2007

*Medical* 02-21-2007

*Mailed Packet 3 (2nd Time)* 03-09-07

*Delivery Confirmation Embassy Recieved it* 03-12-07

*Recieved Packet 4* 03-19-2007

*Interview Date* 04-20-2007 *APPROVED*

Soon to Come

*arrival in the US* 05-03-2007

*Official Marriage* 05-12-2007

*Big Wedding for Family/Friends* 7-14-2007

If you enter with a K1 visa there is no asking immigration not to start it. The whole point of the k1 visa is to come and get married, and when you filed for your K-1 petition you submitted 2 different letters of intent stating you would get married. You have up until 6 months once your visa is issued to leave your home country and come to the USA, once here in USA you have 90 days in which you must get married. To my knowledge they dont offer any extensions on the 90 day time frame either.

If you need to come to the USA before getting married, its probably better you do it before you send off your k1 petition on a vistors visa or VWP or if your petition is already sent off then come before you have your interview ( just make sure you under stand there could be a delay in getting your visa if you are denied entry).

Yes, totally understand that...Problem is that I have 10 weeks leave, my fiance has 2....I'm pregnant so want to work right up until about 4 weeks before the baby's due and then come over and marry him and remain in the US.

We are filing through Vermont, form's going to be sent of tomorrow. So the timeline sees a May approval of the K1.

I am kind of scared about coming to see him before, due to the fact people have been turned away, even though I'd have a job letter and my son would still be here.

So what I'd have liked to do is come over and visit him, that way he could save all his leave for after the baby's born.

While we have submitted letters of intent, that doesn't obviously mean the NEXT 90 days, but 90 days after entering USING the visa.

Edited by AlienUKGirl

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Timeline
Yes, totally understand that...Problem is that I have 10 weeks leave, my fiance has 2....I'm pregnant so want to work right up until about 4 weeks before the baby's due and then come over and marry him and remain in the US.

We are filing through Vermont, form's going to be sent of tomorrow. So the timeline sees a May approval of the K1.

Once the I-129 is approved, can you choose an interview date a few months down the road to fit into your timing?

I'm interested in this topic because I might be in a similar situation. (No, I'm not pregnant. :P) We'll be able to mail our I-129F within a few days (filing through Nebraska), and that means the interview might be in July or thereabouts. But I have to go to the US in July to attend a conference, and I'll need a month or so after the interview to get packed and ready to leave here. Based on what's in this thread, I'm thinking that if my interview isn't in June or earlier, I should postpone it to August.

This would be a good time to find out how long we have after approval of the I-129F to have that interview.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

Once the I-129 is approved, can you choose an interview date a few months down the road to fit into your timing?

I'm interested in this topic because I might be in a similar situation. (No, I'm not pregnant. :P) We'll be able to mail our I-129F within a few days (filing through Nebraska), and that means the interview might be in July or thereabouts. But I have to go to the US in July to attend a conference, and I'll need a month or so after the interview to get packed and ready to leave here. Based on what's in this thread, I'm thinking that if my interview isn't in June or earlier, I should postpone it to August.

This would be a good time to find out how long we have after approval of the I-129F to have that interview.

I think in your case it would be easier, you can just delay sending the documents back to the embassy :)

The reason why I wanted to actually have the visa itself BEFORE going is that it might be harder to convince them that I'm going back after waddling up to them 5-6 months pregnant lol...

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Timeline
I think in your case it would be easier, you can just delay sending the documents back to the embassy :)

The reason why I wanted to actually have the visa itself BEFORE going is that it might be harder to convince them that I'm going back after waddling up to them 5-6 months pregnant lol...

Yeah, I see that your problem is...bigger. :innocent:

Maybe you should ask your local consulate if they'd (hypothetically at this point) be able to issue you a visa and a letter of delay or something like that. And try to get the answer in writing now to help you plan your next steps. Dunno if it can be done, but you can always ask.

Good luck!

Edited by vanee

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

Filed: Timeline

AlienUKGirl,

Better to send in the application documents to get the application active and then talk with the consulate about delay in scheduling interview than to not send initial documents leaving the consulate in the dark about whether or not one intends to apply for the visa.

If the petition approval expires without the consulate having heard anything from the beneficiary they are supposed to contact the beneficiary one more time before returning the petition to the USCIS, but it would be prudent to not count on this.

Yodrak

I think in your case it would be easier, you can just delay sending the documents back to the embassy

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

To answer one question, once you have the visa, you must use it on your next visit... There is no can't I enter as a visitor this time and use it later... The K visa trumps VWP... In non VWP countires, a B visa would be cancelled for the K visa to be issued. You can't have two active US visas at any one time...

If you do not wish to have the visa issued until after the baby is born, you can ask the consulate to delay issuance of the visa until you wish it to be issued. It has to be issued within a certain time period of the petition approval...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

To answer one question, once you have the visa, you must use it on your next visit... There is no can't I enter as a visitor this time and use it later... The K visa trumps VWP... In non VWP countires, a B visa would be cancelled for the K visa to be issued. You can't have two active US visas at any one time...

If you do not wish to have the visa issued until after the baby is born, you can ask the consulate to delay issuance of the visa until you wish it to be issued. It has to be issued within a certain time period of the petition approval...

Thanks for that info.

I most definitely want the visa issued BEFORE the baby is born lol!!

Arianna, I was hoping that, but playing Devil's advocate, they might say 'well you could always have someone else bring him over' or 'maybe you're planning to leave him there'......I think probably my strongest piece of evidence is my 12 months paid maternity leave I'd forfeit by not returning to work....

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

If you enter with your passport and the K1 Visa is in there, they will stamp and it the time counts. So you better stay here and don't leave again, otherwise it is invalid.

Good luck.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.