JolyDan

Moving before visa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi fellow Canadians!

I have a specific question. Did anyone filled a K1 visa and went to the US for a couple of months before the official moving?

We have filed our K1 in June thinking i'd be good to move by January. With the actual delays of TSC we are starting to doubt it will be possible for me to move in January like planned. The problem is that I need to leave my place before January 26th as the condo is sold. What are my options? Putting my stuff in storage and go to the State like I usually do on weekend (we are 3h away) and come back for interview when my turn will come? (Is that legal?) Find a place to live in Canada while this never ending process happens? other?

thank you for your help

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you can put your stuff in storage... and go get it once you have the visa in hand. I would not recommend trying to take much with you across the border right now. As Canadians, we generally are allowed to visit for up to 180 days.. so you can of course go for a visit before the process is finalized. Just remember that you need to prove that you are in fact just visiting.. and not waiting out the immigration process in the US.. because that is legally not allowed. Don't you have any friends or relatives in Canada where you could couch surf for a few weeks/months until you can move?

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well it's legal to visit the states 6 months at a time, right? So long as you are not "MOVING" and you do keep your things in storage ... I don't see why that would be a problem... Proving ties to your "home country" might be hard though if you don't have an address/if you aren't working. But this all depends on the border guard and whether he's having a good day or not :/ but that's the risk you would take, and if they denied you crossing the border that day, you have to have somewhere to go...? But theoretically you aren't moving any of your things ... tough call :/

I-129F Process:

05/03/2014 I-129F Sent
05/09/2014 NOA1

05/12/2014 Alien Registration Number Changed

09/17/2014 NOA2 (OMG!!!!) 

09/23/2014 Case forwarded to NVC
10/01/2014 NVC Received

10/06/2014 NVC forwarded case to Montreal Consulate 

10/07/2014 Montreal Consulate Received

10/08/2014 Sent Packet 3

10/09/2014 Received Packet 4

10/22/2014 Medical Appointment

11/12/2014 Interview  APPROVED 

11/24/2014 Visa in Hand!!!!

12/28/2014 POE - Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls
01/12/2015 Applied for SSN

01/31/2015 The day I married my best friend 

AOS Process:

03/14/2015 Sent AOS Package

03/23/2015 Email confirmation, case accepted & routed to USCIS
04/15/2015 Biometrics taken
06/03/2015 75 days since receipt date on my EAD application, called USCIS for a service request  

06/09/2015 NOA2 for AP & EAD ^.^ (arrived in the mail on June 15th!!! finally!!!!)
06/17/2015 AP/EAD Combo card in hand!
06/22/2015 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case
09/27/2015 AOS  APPROVED
10/03/2015 Received Green Card in the mail!!!

ROC Process:
06/26/2017 Sent ROC Package

06/30/2017 NOA / 1 year extension 
08/04/2017 Biometrics taken

04/09/2018 Case was received at my local office

Timeline

Border crossing is generally really easy because I have a nexus card so it's basically where are you going? not how long or what is the purpose.

I have all my family here so I wouldnt be homeless if i'm denied!

I'm still hoping for the NOA2 approval to come anytime soon (reach the 5months mark tomorrow) and the Montréal consulate ride to be a smooth one.

I will technically have an adress in Canada I can provide for crossing the border (i'll have all my mail forward at my mom's and I still have a lease on my car until April so I guess i'll be ok)

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can not "move" to the USA..tell that to the POE officer, good chance you will be turned back.....use the word "visiting"...........

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I would never use the word move! I have cross the border more than 60 times in the past 15 months I know what to say or not say ;)

I just wanted to know the real deal here on the forum! Thanks :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you start showing up at the border for visits with any level of belongings that make it look like you're 'moving' be forewarned of course. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I would never use the word move! I have cross the border more than 60 times in the past 15 months I know what to say or not say ;)
I just wanted to know the real deal here on the forum! Thanks :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Yes, I did exactly that. Had given up my place and was tired of living in motels, so put my stuff in storage and went to the US. Was there for 3 months when the NOA2 came through, and then went back to Canada for the interview.

Just remember it may take XX number of days (anywhere from 1 to an unknown amount, like months) to get the visa back after the interview. Make sure you have a place to stay etc, after the interview because your passport will not be with you for a bit.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.