graphicalmanx

Tourist visa for sister of US Citizen - Pakistan

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I am applying for my mother's tourist visa. She lives in Pakistan and would like to visit her sister in US. Her sister lives in US along with her family. I was wondering if you could please provide me some guidance to increase her chances for a tourist visa. Some relevant details:

1. My mother is employed at Radio Pakistan for almost 30 years. She is an artist there and has a job letter issued by station director. Her salary is not fixed and varies each month depending on number of projects she is involved with. She is able to produce monthly employment contracts for last six months.

2. Her sources of income include: salary, pension (later father's), and funds i send her each month (>$1000/month)

3. Her bank statement for last one year has been >$12000

4. My mother's owns a house

5. 3 of my mother's sisters live in Pakistan. Among remaining 2, one lives in Canada and second one in US.

6. My mother is a widow. Our immediate family includes only me and my mother. I live in Calgary (Canadian PR) at the moment, where I work.

7. Invitation letter by her sister

8. Reason for visit: "to spend vacations in US with sister". She could also mention that her son might visit her in US. Although, I am not sure if it would be a good idea to mention my plans to visit her in states to the visa officer. I already have a US visa and have visited US several times over last 4 years.

9. My mother's only international trip has been visit to Saudi Arabia with me to perform Umrah.

Some of the information above might be irrelevant, but I would appreciate your views about her chances.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Surely she is applying, not you?

re 8. I don't think she needs to mention that you might meet her in the States as that will confuse matters.

If she brings enough evidence of her ties to Pakistan she should have a good chance of getting the visa. Good luck.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Jacque. I should have phrased it better. My mother will be applying for a tourist visa. I will be putting together all the forms/application material though. I have a couple of other questions:

1. My mother's salary from Pakistan Broadcasting Corporation: ~10,000/month. This does not include my later father's pension ~7000/month. In DS-160 form should I enter 17000/month or 10,000/month. Her employment letter mainly provides a job description, comments on her performance and that she is free to join service after spending vacations in US/Canada. It does not state a salary. Her employment contracts for last 6 months indicate she has been receiving ~10,000 /month.

2. I am just worried that Visa Officer might use low salary as a reason to reject application even though her balance sheet demonstrates more than sufficient funds for a 4 weeks trip. Alternatively, I could put myself as her financial sponsor for trip. Although through these forums I have noticed that it is better if she self-finances the trip on paper.

3. In addition, visa officer might inquire her whether she intends to travel alone or with someone. She could say alone or suggest that I will be travelling to Pakistan first before departing to States with her on this trip. What would you suggest ?

I would highly appreciate if you could please provide me with some guidance on above mentioned points.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Her only reason to visit the USA should be to visit her sister for vacation. If you keep adding reasons to be in the USA rather than Pakistan, her chances decrease dramatically. That said, your mother needs to list the many reasons why she must return to Pakistan. The more compelling reasons to go home rather than stay in the USA is what will award her a tourist visa.

With that in mind, some of the top compelling reasons would be:

1. Owning a home.

2. Having a good job where she is not expendable.

3. Returning for college/advanced studies. Or has children attending school.

4. Strong family and religious ties to home.

Things that may help her chances:

1. Being over 21.

2. Proving she has funds to finance her trip on her own. - Note: finances have been proven to not be a factor in getting a tourist visa. IO's are much more concerned about how one will return home rather than how they will finance their trip. Still, having the money to do a trip to the USA doesn't hurt as it proves one won't become a public charge.

3. She has traveled before.

Things that may hurt her chances:

1. Her home and job are expendable, especially if you have been sending her $1000.00 USD/Canadian per month

2. She has family in the USA and Canada. - Note: you are her only immediate family besides her son. Once over here, she could easily adjust status and petition her son.

3. She is single and free to marry.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Her only reason to visit the USA should be to visit her sister for vacation. If you keep adding reasons to be in the USA rather than Pakistan, her chances decrease dramatically. That said, your mother needs to list the many reasons why she must return to Pakistan. The more compelling reasons to go home rather than stay in the USA is what will award her a tourist visa.

With that in mind, some of the top compelling reasons would be:

1. Owning a home.

2. Having a good job where she is not expendable.

3. Returning for college/advanced studies. Or has children attending school.

4. Strong family and religious ties to home.

Things that may help her chances:

1. Being over 21.

2. Proving she has funds to finance her trip on her own. - Note: finances have been proven to not be a factor in getting a tourist visa. IO's are much more concerned about how one will return home rather than how they will finance their trip. Still, having the money to do a trip to the USA doesn't hurt as it proves one won't become a public charge.

3. She has traveled before.

Things that may hurt her chances:

1. Her home and job are expendable, especially if you have been sending her $1000.00 USD/Canadian per month

2. She has family in the USA and Canada. - Note: you are her only immediate family besides her son. Once over here, she could easily adjust status and petition her son.

3. She is single and free to marry.

(In an effort to assist others) I'm simply asking for clarification...is there a section on the DS-160 that one can indicate such? In my MIL's case, nothing brought was asked for specifically for items 1, 2, 3 in your first list...perhaps my MIL is missing that in her previous application.

Thank you.

Timeline

(In an effort to assist others) I'm simply asking for clarification...is there a section on the DS-160 that one can indicate such? In my MIL's case, nothing brought was asked for specifically for items 1, 2, 3 in your first list...perhaps my MIL is missing that in her previous application.

Thank you.

In general, most tourist visas are pre-decided before the interview even happens. Which is why you see a lot of denied applicants complaining "They didn't even read my application or evidence of my property deeds, my family ties, etc." CO's do hundreds of visa approvals a day and don't have time to give long interviews.

That said, on the application, answer truthfully and let the dice roll, you may get lucky and get a easy-going CO. Have your evidences ready at the interview. On the application remember, less is more (regarding details).

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

In general, most tourist visas are pre-decided before the interview even happens. Which is why you see a lot of denied applicants complaining "They didn't even read my application or evidence of my property deeds, my family ties, etc." CO's do hundreds of visa approvals a day and don't have time to give long interviews.

That said, on the application, answer truthfully and let the dice roll, you may get lucky and get a easy-going CO. Have your evidences ready at the interview. On the application remember, less is more (regarding details).

Agreed. I guess I was just wondering if there were a block/area on the DS form to indicate that which you spoke of.

Timeline

Agreed. I guess I was just wondering if there were a block/area on the DS form to indicate that which you spoke of.

When I helped my wife apply for a tourist visa, I remember seeing an area which asked where she would be staying for the trip. At the time she put my address, as I reflect upon it now, we should have put the hotel she would be staying in Walt Disney World, which probably would have made her application look more like a vacation than a visit to a boyfriend.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.